Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Type SH'in...
2,229 Posts
Macallan 12-year is my fave.

Expanding this to whiskey in general, I'm a big fan of Maker's Mark.

·
1st to make the playoffs
2,744 Posts
I started that beer thread (your words hurt lol) but I'll jump in here...I've never had any good whiskey. Actually I've never really had whiskey besides in a mixed shot. I would like to try some though. I've always wanted to try Maker's Mark but I just can't bring myself to buy a bottle just in case I don't like it. No one I really know drinks it either so I can't go somewhere to try it. I've had Jack and cokes and probably Jim Beam and coke but would whiskey drinks consider those a good whiskey? If I'm going to try something, I would rather try something whiskey drinks like.

·
12,803 Posts
I was gifted a bottle of JW Blue last year... nothing else has really come close in terms of smoothness. Aside from that, i have JW Green, Crown Royal Reserve, and Jack Daniel single barrel in my stash. I like the JD one of the latter three. I'm a total scotch/whiskey newb though...

·
Type SH'in...
2,229 Posts
I was gifted a bottle of JW Blue last year... nothing else has really come close in terms of smoothness. Aside from that, i have JW Green, Crown Royal Reserve, and Jack Daniel single barrel in my stash. I like the JD one of the latter three. I'm a total scotch/whiskey newb though...
Johnny Walker is good stuff, but I just prefer Macallan. My father is all about JW though.

Never tried JD single barrel, sounds interesting, how is it?

·
Type SH'in...
2,229 Posts
Best whiskey I ever tried though, was Midleton Irish Whiskey. Smooth as glass. Not cheap though. Got a small glass of it neat at an Irish pub in Santa Monica, was $25 and they had to go in the back to get the bottle of it.

Comes in its own cask and is serial number plated and hand-signed by the master distiller.

Not easy stuff to find though. Most bars don't have it, even most liquor stores don't carry it. It's apparently only made in very small batches and is a Jameson property.

·
12,803 Posts
Basic taste is like regular jack but more refined with stronger flavor and a more aromatic finish. My understanding is that each single barrel will taste different. If you like plain jack, you'd probably like the single barrel version.

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
Wait up. I thought this Thread was about Scotch? >_< If we are talking just about Scotch, I typically have a bottle of Cardhu that i found that tend to enjoy. If you want something relatively new, and has plenty of flavor. you should check out Johnny Walker Double Black.

Now if we are talking about Whiskey, I have am typically Crown Drinker, that my normal whiskey, but I start every Drink with a Shot of Jameson. Haha, I have no idea why. :)

For those who are adventurous, or would like to try other things. I have had a Honey Whiskey from JD, and it goes down pretty easy, but it is more of a syrup tasting drink. Also They have some flavor whiskey, such as Apple Pie, and Strawberry. these can look down right dangerous, I have a bottle of apple Pie, but I havent found anyone to drink with. Apple Pie Whiskey

Now for Bourbon when i drink my Mint Julep, i prefer the Brand Bullet.

I have a bottle of Japanese whiskey, it alright. I taste a lot like JD. And i typically drink and gift Single Barrel, Each one is different and have it own unique taste. One thing i wanna try is Single Barrel Silver. :)

·
no diggity
1,127 Posts
Wait up. I thought this Thread was about Scotch? >_< If we are talking just about Scotch, I typically have a bottle of Cardhu that i found that tend to enjoy. If you want something relatively new, and has plenty of flavor. you should check out Johnny Walker Double Black.

Now if we are talking about Whiskey, I have am typically Crown Drinker, that my normal whiskey, but I start every Drink with a Shot of Jameson. Haha, I have no idea why. :)

For those who are adventurous, or would like to try other things. I have had a Honey Whiskey from JD, and it goes down pretty easy, but it is more of a syrup tasting drink. Also They have some flavor whiskey, such as Apple Pie, and Strawberry. these can look down right dangerous, I have a bottle of apple Pie, but I havent found anyone to drink with. Apple Pie Whiskey

Now for Bourbon when i drink my Mint Julep, i prefer the Brand Bullet.

I have a bottle of Japanese whiskey, it alright. I taste a lot like JD. And i typically drink and gift Single Barrel, Each one is different and have it own unique taste. One thing i wanna try is Single Barrel Silver. :)
I've been looking everywhere for a bottle of Double Black but haven't been able to find it.

Slightly off-topic.....

I went to a Johnnie Walker event a couple months ago in downtown LA. There was a little cocktail hour where you could eat some appetizers and mingle with the hot models they hired to hang there. You also got a free cocktail (made with red or black label) either an old fashioned, on the rocks, or something else that I can't recall.

Then everybody went into a little sitting area, they showed a video about the history of Johnnie Walker, and a little bit about scotch, and demonstrated how to drink different varieties (on the rocks, neat, with juice, chilled, etc). We got a taster of red, black, gold, green, and blue label as they went down the line.

It was freaking awesome!!

Outside of that, I generally will go for JW Red on the rocks, and have had Redbreast once (it was good). I usually order my scotches in an Old Fashioned though.

I also enjoy regular whiskey, be it Jack, Crowne, or Jameson :)

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I'm not a scotch drinker, but my cousin's kid is in the Air Force and he brought me back a bottle of Black Bull 12year when he went through there. Anybody had it and know how it rates?

·
¡¡¡ǝɹǝɥ sɐʍ sdnʇuǝɯǝɔ
5,889 Posts
No like scotch. The only real hard liquor I like is vodka.

·
H22-Turbo 4WS Beast
1,384 Posts
Glennfiddich 15 is my go-to scotch, however I'm not opposed to Glenlivet or McCallan. While Johnny Walker is pretty decent, you guys need to venture out. It's like the 'bud light' of scotch as far as what everyone automatically orders when it comes to scotch.

Oh, and I started the cigar thread, nothing goes better with a cigar than a nice glass of scotch.

·
Theoretical Physicist
3,621 Posts
I drink scotch and water occasionally. My grandfather mostly makes me drink one with him. When you dilute it with water, it does not really matter how cheap the scotch is, it's still pretty good.

Andrew

·
11,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok, so many I should've just made this a more general 'whiskey' thread instead. :jape:

I've been on a serious Scotch binge lately with some friends every couple of weeks just getting together with the goal of trying every Scotch bottle there is.

The compiled list so far and as you can see, a few aren't Scotches for reasons not worth mentioning... *cough*

Lagavulin 16
Macallan Select Oak
Dimple Pinch 15
Glenfiddich 12
Canadian Club 6
Douglas 13
Auchentoshan Classic 10
The Balvenie - double wood 12
Glenkinchie 12
Hirsch Bourbon 20
Laphroaig 10
Oban 14
Talisker 10

My personal all time favorite is the Glenlivet 18 - by far THE best single malt Scotch I've ever had and usually have a bottle of this at home. For an 18 year old, the price is right under $100 which, IMO, is a steal. I highly suggest some of you try this one.

The Glenmorangie 12 is also on my list of suggestions.

On my shelf and by shelf, I mean the top of the fridge, current bottles:
Glenlivet 18 and 12, Glenmorangie, Hennessey White (amazing!), and a huge bottle of JD.

As far as blended Scotch is concerned, JW is obviously up there but sometimes, their strong flavors can get a little overbearing. Ahhh.. So much to talk about, but I have work to do. :eek:

Hien: I've been to both the JW and Macallan tasting events. Both are unique in their own way but JW definitely tries to make it feel like an 'event'.

I would highly suggest everyone to give these free events a try. Bring the women as well and I strongly believe that they would have a little more respect and understanding for Scotch whiskeys.

·
Type SH'in...
2,229 Posts
I drink scotch and water occasionally. My grandfather mostly makes me drink one with him. When you dilute it with water, it does not really matter how cheap the scotch is, it's still pretty good.

Andrew
I prefer lots of ice and then letting it melt down just a tad. Same effect, just colder :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts