Honda Prelude Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got this in an email and i'm definately going to try this. You should too if you hate the high gas prices. I'm gonna go to texaco, shell, BP or arco from now on. Pass this onto everyone you know.

Subject: Let's keep Gas prices down!

THE FOLLOWING WAS SENT BY AN ECONOMIST WITHIN THE FUEL INDUSTRY.

ANOTHER ECONOMICS PROFESSOR AT CAL REITERATED THE SAME LAST WEEK. I THINK IT

IS WORTH TRYING.

I got this from a reliable source & the website listed is legit. We heard today from a man who is very savvy about the economy, namely, Clark Howard, and he says that the gas prices are going to start going up again and will be high this summer-$2.00 and up. We need to do whatever we can, and do it NOW!!!!

Gasoline Prices This makes more sense than the don't buy gas on a certain day routine that was going around last year re: Gasoline Prices. Whoever started this has a good point. By now, you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.49 is cheap. Me too, as it is now $1.58 for regular unleaded!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at less than $1.50, we need to try an aggressive response. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take ACTION! The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we don't buy it. But, (as the gas companies know full well, and are counting on), that's not really a practical option since we all have come to rely on our cars. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DO NOT purchase gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), namely EXXON and MOBIL.

You see, if they are not selling, they should be inclined, (i.e., "forced"), to reduce their prices. And, because of their size, and hence market share, if they reduce their prices the other companies will too. (They would HAVE no choice!). Isn't that a "juicy" prospect? But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of users. But it's do-able!

I am sending this note to as many people as I can. If each of you send it to at least 10 more ...and those 10 send it to at least 10 more and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth iteration, we will have reached over one million consumers. Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on, or one you compose, to at least 10 more E-mail addresses. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO BELOW $1.28 - $1.29 AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK!

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

------------------
David

·
Registered
951 Posts
This is do-able, but only as a large group of course.

I guess I'm in since I never buy from Exxon/Mobil anyway.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In the Elevator at work we have TV's with news. One of the little blurbs said something like this:

"Exxon officials say that their company will be unaffected by newest email boycott"

------------------
SlntSam

2000 Base, Sebring Silver
Member - Toronto Prelude Club

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
I thought exxon and mobil were related in some way?

Just don't go to the places that charge high prices, isn't that simpler?

In my area, this would be Chevron and Shell. Arco being the cheapest

You guys ever find yourself driving wayyyy out of your way to get cheaper gas? I did, I thought I'd save money by filling up near work instead of by home. What a pain in the ass! I saved like $4/fillup. It does add up though

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buying from the cheapest place doesn't work. If they raise prices just like the rest of the companys. If exxon, shell, mobil raise prices so do arco, noname gas right around the corner will do too. they stay in business as long as they sell 5 cents cheaper than exxon. If we boycott mobil exxon then they'll lower the prices forcing everyone else to lower the prices.. including no name brand. That way we don't have to go searching for cheap gas.

david

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
What we need to do is get rid of the taxes on gasoline.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rokdavey:
Buying from the cheapest place doesn't work. If they raise prices just like the rest of the companys. If exxon, shell, mobil raise prices so do arco, noname gas right around the corner will do too. they stay in business as long as they sell 5 cents cheaper than exxon. If we boycott mobil exxon then they'll lower the prices forcing everyone else to lower the prices.. including no name brand. That way we don't have to go searching for cheap gas.

david
</font>
Maybe
You just don't know. If we all shop at the cheapest place, that place is doing good business. Lots of customers
What makes them different? They're cheaper. Others will follow in suit, thus all gas places that want to stay in business are then cheaper, so we don't have to hunt down the cheapest gas station any more.

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rokdavey:

ANOTHER ECONOMICS PROFESSOR AT CAL REITERATED THE SAME LAST WEEK
</font>

I'm curious who this is. Do you know?

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
This is hilarious. OK, so while ExxonMobil is losing money (they ARE the same company) in retail sales, what will the other stores do while their demand goes up? Oh, are we all supposed to stop getting gas altogether?

Has anyone stopped to think, too, that the supply chain for other stores may involve ExxonMobil? Do you think that Exxon and Mobil stations only use ExxonMobil refined products? Do you think that there are as many different refinerys and distribution networks as there are stations?

Think about this, people, before you post this stuff. You might as well be selling Amsoil or Amway products. This would be a pyramid scheme if it actually benefitted anyone.

·
Registered
263 Posts
mohawk and their 94 octane 10% blended ethanol here. i like giving my business to these small independants who have better service than the other stations.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
BTW, if you want to affect the industry, vote for someone who will change it. It would be kind of hard to mobilize or affect the millions of customers it would take to put a dent in their sales.

Per another thread: ExxonMobil increased profits last year in the BILLIONS by doing nothing more than raise prices- they didn't decrease their operating or material cost and they didn't increase throughput.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pter:

I'm curious who this is. Do you know?
</font>
Probably the same person that says that power lines cause cancer, too many cars cause holes in the ozone layer (or is it cows farting?), and probably sends out that damn Darwin award list (the same freaking one) each year. Let's find his ass and lynch him!!!

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Exxon Mobil is one company now and you could boycott all you want but it would never change how they do things. Do you think if people boycotted toilet paper it would change things? We pay the prices because there is no other choice....

In NJ they pretty much doubled the price of a pack of cigarettes in the last two years. EVERY one of my friends that smokes sowre up and down left and right that if they ever hit $3 a pack they'd quit. They're $4 a pack and not one of them have stopped smoking. Basically where screwed!

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Have no fear guys, GW will help us out....

Oh wait, I forgot the dumbass factor and cowardness he posseses....

------------------
If you only knew the power of the Lude...
'98 Red Base Prelude
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - SCCA Solo2
AEM CAI, APEX-i VAFC, Neuspeed Ft Up Strut Bar, 28 mm Neuspeed RR Sway Bar, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, and SH RR Deck installed. Shock knock cure done. Installing Quaife ATB Differential.

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
Exxon Mobil is one company now and you could boycott all you want but it would never change how they do things. Do you think if people boycotted toilet paper it would change things? We pay the prices because there is no other choice....

In NJ they pretty much doubled the price of a pack of cigarettes in the last two years. EVERY one of my friends that smokes sowre up and down left and right that if they ever hit $3 a pack they'd quit. They're $4 a pack and not one of them have stopped smoking. Basically where screwed!
</font>
I know that feeling. Packs used to be like $2.50 two years ago. I swore the same sh!t...

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
People keep talking and saying that gas prices could top out at $3 for premium. I'm scared now..thinking about getting a motorcyle or a scooter..hahaha...

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I don't want to buy the really cheap gas (Shell, Texaco, Mobil, Exxon, they all have thesame prices). The really cheap stuff barely makes the car run.

And in a way we've got no one to blame but ourselves (well not really Preluders, but Americans) because we are demanding more gas than before and the avg. mpg. for cars sold now is actually a little higher than a few years ago, which hasn't happened since the '60s or something. If people didn't buy gas guzzler SUVs, there wouldn't be as much demand for gas and they'd have to lower the price.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.