Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you read this thread http://honda-acura.net/forum/Forum20/HTML/010695.html and this one http://honda-acura.net/forum/Forum20/HTML/010675.html you'll know that over the weekend I installed a VAFC and an air/fuel ratio meter and ran into a problem of a CEL blinking at me after driving the car for a bit. Well the culprit was this:

That's the wire I used to tap into the PH02S in the ECU. It got caught under one of the legs of the ECU's mounting plate and caused either an open loop or a short (I don't know which). So nothing was wrong with my VAFC install itself......just a tangental problem. So a word to any of you who are doing work with the ECU....even after all your connections are correct just be careful not to snag anything when you're putting the ECU back in. It's tight and cramped in that footwell so it's easy to have something like this happen and not know it.
Thanks to malken, marucci and anyone else who helped me out on this one. I owe you guys.

I'm kinda glad this happened because it FORCED me to learn how to read engine codes. Not a bad thing at all. I think I'm going to try to scan the pages of the Helm that lists all the codes and post them up. I myself and going to keep photocopies of these pages IN my car along with a paper clip so that I can diagnose what's wrong on the road. You guys might want to do the same.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

·
Registered
299 Posts
How does the car feel with the unit installed now? Are you planning to dyno tune it? I'm probably going to pick one up..hopefully I won't go through the install hell that you've gone through though.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by muncher:
How does the car feel with the unit installed now? Are you planning to dyno tune it? I'm probably going to pick one up..hopefully I won't go through the install hell that you've gone through though.</font>
The car's the same as stock because I didn't mess with anything except for putting the VTEC crossover back to around stock settings. I'm going to probably get it tuned at Rampage. If you need help installing it let me know.

------------------

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

·
Registered
299 Posts
when are you planning to get it tuned at rampage? I wouldn't mind dyno'ing my car there.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by muncher:
I'm probably going to pick one up..hopefully I won't go through the install hell that you've gone through though.</font>
Hey man I'm looking to sell me V-AFC like I told you last week, I don't think I'm competent enough
to complete this daunting task
w/out fuxxing up something bigtime! Mine is brand new sitting in my room. Email me if ur interested, thanks!

[email protected]

------------------
01' Base 5-Speed
AEM CAI, Neuspeed Frt.Bar, Neuspeed Sports & KYB AGX, Type-R Wing

Parts to be installed-
Apex V-AFC- anyone wanna help me out w/this one??

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Joon,

just curious, on a scale of 10, how difficult was the install? Since I'm a nuts and bolts guy it's probably 2x as hard for me than it was for u though. Thanks!

BTW-when u goin to rampage? Mind if I(and fellow NY ppl) tag along and watch.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EBP Lude:
Joon,

just curious, on a scale of 10, how difficult was the install? Since I'm a nuts and bolts guy it's probably 2x as hard for me than it was for u though. Thanks!

BTW-when u goin to rampage? Mind if I(and fellow NY ppl) tag along and watch.
</font>
I'd say about a 6....and yes you NY people can tag along......I have to figure out when I can go first though.

------------------

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Joon - you will need about 2 hours to tune your vafc on the dyno (just letting you know). Your air/fuel mixture will change depending on where your vtec crossover is. You will want a flat, constant air/fuel mixture all the way through the powerband. The guy at the dyno will know what to do, or atleast he should know what to do.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vabeach_lude:
Joon - you will need about 2 hours to tune your vafc on the dyno (just letting you know). Your air/fuel mixture will change depending on where your vtec crossover is. You will want a flat, constant air/fuel mixture all the way through the powerband. The guy at the dyno will know what to do, or atleast he should know what to do.</font>
My VTEC crossover is staying stock. Thanks for the info.

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
My VTEC crossover is staying stock. Thanks for the info.</font>
Why? Move it dude.. I will send you my settings if you want, remember, I did 190whp

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
yeah your basicly getting all of that extra hp that vtec gives you, just sooner. can't beat that. but like I said it will change your air/fuel ratios earlier, so its best to smooth out the curve on the dyno after seeing what my friends vafc did.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malken00:
Why? Move it dude.. I will send you my settings if you want, remember, I did 190whp
</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vabeach_lude:
yeah your basicly getting all of that extra hp that vtec gives you, just sooner. can't beat that. but like I said it will change your air/fuel ratios earlier, so its best to smooth out the curve on the dyno after seeing what my friends vafc did.</font>
We will see. Lowest I go is probably 4800-4900. Again.....we'll see.

·
Buttering up the muffin
965 Posts
Rampage racing tunes Preludes? I've stopped there once and they refered me to DRT racing a few blocks away.
jake

·
Registered
825 Posts
Malken, hit me off with your settings too

------------------
KQ
98 Pearl White SH
92 Baby Blue S (sold)
94 Red S (R.I.P.)

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
...I think I'm going to try to scan the pages of the Helm that lists all the codes and post them up.</font>
If you get the Spring issue of Honda Tuning magazine they list all the codes on page 39.
Just thought you might like to know....

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts