Honda Prelude Online banner

Leak From Valve Cover?

972 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  LUDExCONDUCT 
#1 ·
I just installed a valve cover I polished on the lude. I'm not sure if I used enough Hondabond. Any way to tell if the valve cover is leaking?

#2 ·
LUDExCONDUCT said:
I just installed a valve cover I polished on the lude. I'm not sure if I used enough Hondabond. Any way to tell if the valve cover is leaking?
YES.... umm look at it after you drive it and see if there is OIL ....LEAKING anywhere:rolleyes: other wise...it wouldnt be a leaky valve cover

#4 ·
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Hondabond just hold the gasket in place when you torque down the cover? Hondabond itself isn't a liquid gasket is it? Just make sure you didn't pinch the silicone gasket anywhere and you should be fine.

#5 ·
You don't really need that much Honda bond for the valve cover gasket, just a little dab on the corners that meet the cam caps (8-spots in all). If you thightened it down correctly you shouldn't have any leakage.

#6 ·
bb6flier said:
You don't really need that much Honda bond for the valve cover gasket, just a little dab on the corners that meet the cam caps (8-spots in all). If you thightened it down correctly you shouldn't have any leakage.
Yeah what he said. Did you replace the gasket? You don't really need to but it's best to. You would really notice if you had a leak also. As long as you torqued the bolts down to spec. If you're going to go tighten them again, don't do too much, cause those things snap EASY!! I broke one real easy.

#7 ·
the gasket used on the valve cover can be reused. As long as its sitting straight on and the valve cover is perfectly aligned then you shouldnt have any problems.

the bolts should be tightened in a sequence as stated in the helms manual. Just make sure you do finger tight not more then that.

#8 ·
oh ok...my dumb a$$ was thinking more in the lines of some air leaking out. Thought it had to be air tight or something. Guess not. Cool...I followed the tightening sequence in the Helms and torqued it down to spec according to the Helms. Cool beans folks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.