Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried this the other day when my friend wanted to have a race (from a stop) - is this a bad idea? I can launch from about 3200rpm doing this, but I won't do it again. Or can I without major damage?

What do you guys reckon? Prelude VTi-R SportShift (Base Model in US Spec) versus a 5 speed '92 Celica - I've got way more horsepower (147kw versus 100kw) - but he always gets two lengths off the line. (Forgive us, we're 16 year old highschool students!)

Does anyone know why stock 5 speed Preludes in Australia do 0-100 km p/h in about 7.7 seconds, when you guys in the US are doing it a second quicker? The horsepower ratings are the same. What other reasons could there be? It seems that all Japanese cars have slower times in Australia than the US, but cars such as Porsches and Ferraris have the same times listed. Do we get detuned versions?

Thanks,

HappymaN

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True. But 360 Ferraris do the 0-60 sprint in both the US and in Australia in 4.3 seconds. So I don't think it has much to do with the atmospheric conditions.

Thanks SuperFlea. Anybody else got an idea?

Lude2k: Can you give me some advice about the SS part of my post?

[This message has been edited by HappymaN (edited April 25, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HappymaN:
True. But 360 Ferraris do the 0-60 sprint in both the US and in Australia in 4.3 seconds. So I don't think it has much to do with the atmospheric conditions.</font>
Actually, if anything you should be going faster in Aussie since you're probably at sea level, more 0xygen and denser air. ARe you sure you are talking about the 200hp version since Austrialia does have those 140hp versions and that would explain the extra second in times.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm stating specifications of the VTEC models, ie. the 200hp versions. I'm really stumped. The Celica "GTS" over here also runs a second slower to 60. Same with the S2000 which over here runs 6.6 seconds. I'm so amazed every time I read your timeslips!!!

So Lude2k, what about launching with the handbrake and brakes? Bad idea?

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
I used to have a GF who moved here from australia..awww....such a cute accent she had.. now i need a gf with a british accent.

Hahaha..one question...if the stock 5 speed prelude does 7.7...then what does a stock Sportshift do?

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
OG
2,040 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by checkmate58:
Hahaha..one question...if the stock 5 speed prelude does 7.7...then what does a stock Sportshift do?</font>
That 7.7 time has been floating around as the SH number (and now the Australia number), but I think it's leftover from a review in which the driver didn't know how to get the most out of the lude.
The 5 speed, to my knowledge, is accepted at 6.8 stock, and the SS is one second behind it at 7.8. Again, this is from what I've heard/read, and I can attest to doing a 7.9 in mine (GTECH-ed) with I/E/S... although I haven't ever reset my ECU, which my friends are trying to get me to do. Maybe it would make a difference...? We'll see in the summer...

But I digress. Anyone who knows for sure about the times feel free to correct me.

------------------
Raman ~ AIM: R Viper G
Viper's Lair ~ 99 Pearl White SS ~ Mods

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sonic; We're talking about a manual 200hp Australian Prelude with or without ATTS. The best it can get is definitely in the mid 7's for the 0-60. I don't know if you read earlier posts.

I really don't know why us Australians get slower Japanese cars. No idea at all.

What do most Americans think of Australia anyway? Did the Olympics change your view on what Australia was really like?

·
Banned
2,048 Posts

What do most Americans think of Australia anyway? Did the Olympics change your view on what Australia was really like?
</font>
Well, I'm Canadian, not American. What do I think of you guys? Er... pretty much the same as any other civilized country. Maybe a bit crowded in the cities since the Outback takes up so much of your space. Your government is also a touch insane when it comes to regulating internet access/content - the whole 'corrupting the youth' thing reminds me of extreme Islamic sects. Also, from what I've heard, everything is expensive as heck down there, and comes 6 months later.

That's all forgiven though, since rumor has it you guys can buy Skyline GT-Rs ;(

P.S. No offense, but that Foster's beer from Oz that has constant commercials on the air... it's piss. Then again, I've heard that offering a Foster's to an Aussie is like signing a certificate saying that you wish to be castrated.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

[This message has been edited by spite (edited April 26, 2001).]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fosters? I don't drink. Wouldn't know.

Thanks for your comments on Australia though.

So, about launching with the handbrake and brakes - anyone got any idea how much damage that is doing? Lude2k???

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
it wont damamge anything if you only do it occasionally, but if you constantly doing it every time you stop, then that would probably hurt something. I only do it when i race.

------------------

99 Pearlwhite Sportshift
15.45 @ 92.37

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
I reckon you'll be buying a new tranny within 30k miles. The SS is notoriously weak for racing and that's W/O doing what you are. I'd seriously recommend being easier on the tranny, and getting an outboard tranny cooler. Also watch you engine temp while racing, the SS has a smaller rad due to the fact that it also has an SS cooler built into it (which is lame).

·
Registered
214 Posts
I hate magazine racing as much as the next guy, but here are some numbers from C&D online:

A Prelude SH (5-sp., of course)
"After 1000 miles, we took it to the track. The Prelude leapt to 60 mph in 6.9 seconds, sped through the quarter-mile in 15.4 seconds, and topped out at 138 mph. It could brake to a stop from 70 mph in 172 feet and corner at 0.83 g."

A Prelude SS
"Shifting via Sequential SportShift brought a 0-to-60 time of 7.8 seconds ... Moving the gearshift to drive - and leaving it there untouched - resulted in a 0-to-60 time of 8.0 seconds."

From that same Sportshift story:
Zero to 60mph . . . 7.8 sec
Zero to 100mph . . . 20.2 sec
Street start, 5 - 60mph . . . 8.4 sec
Standing 1 /4-mile . . . 16.0 sec @ 89 mph
Top speed (drag limited) . . . 134 mph

------------------
2000 5-speed Prelude
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Momo Alumsport shift knob
Iceman Competition Intake
Mugen cat-back exhaust
Mugen headers
AEM underdrive pulleys

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
What do most Americans think of Australia anyway? Did the Olympics change your view on what Australia was really like?</font>
Hahaha..what do I think? I guess most Americans base Australians through stereotypes and stuff they've seen in movies. I can't say cause I've never been in Australia...from what I've heard...my ex told me that alot of the "white" australians are really prejudice towards asians.. and also... that if you go visit Australia and have an "American" accent...everyone thinks thats cool. hahaha...it's probably not even true what she told me.

Back to the SS deal..I don't think you should be doing that to your car. My sister has a SS and it doesn't handle as good as my base. I've also heard that the SS tranny is really not designed for race at all. Alot of people I've encountered just say they're lemons waiting to be discovered...i think that's a exaggeration though.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
725 Posts
HappymaN,

I wouldn't put too much faith on those numbers you're throwing. Seems like all of the car mags here have many cars running different times. You can even pick up the same magazine and they'll preview the car once and get one time and do another review later with a totally different time.

There are just too many factors that come into play when these magazines pull their numbers. Things like elevation, weather, and driver come to mind. I've seen numbers as fast as 6.8 seconds to as slow as 7.7 seconds for a Prelude 5speed. Same thing with the S2000, times ranging from 5.2 to 6.3 seconds.

I would suggest to you to goto a drag strip and see what your local drivers can do there. Better yet, find some Prelude enthusiast whose gotten a dyno done.

------------------
'00 Prelude
Black 5spd

[This message has been edited by Buckwild (edited April 26, 2001).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went on a Contiki tour with a bunch of aussies and kiwis. We had the best time with them. They love their drink and their rugby... but they were some of the most fun people I have ever met. And the girls love American boys... which worked out well for us.

I think of Australia as a rowdier version of the US... perhaps less puritanical...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Checkmate, thanks for your comments. Hehe, now that I think of it, American accents are considered kinda cool over here. I remember during the Olympics, people would just sit and listen to Americans talking. But a Asian friend of mine once went to the US, and he said everytime he spoke (with his 'Australian' accent), people cracked up in laughter at an Asian with an Australian accent. Hahaha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts