Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 17" Chrome Wheels on my 90 Lude and the dealer that I got it from recommended Kumho tires. I've been using them for quite some time and am impressed by them. They are Z-Rated Tires.

Anyone got any other recommendations for tires for a 17" Wheel?

------------------
-- Rick
'90 Honda Prelude SI ALB

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
The dealer recommended them because he is an autorized dealer and probably makes the most money off of them than any of the other tires he sells.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, he asked me this -

' Am I planning on lowering it? I said, maybe, but not right away and he said then you probably want the largest tire to fill-up the empty space between the tire and the wheelwell' I said sure.

------------------
-- Rick
'90 Honda Prelude SI ALB

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by b2b90prelude:
he said then you probably want the largest tire to fill-up the empty space between the tire and the wheelwell' </font>

hm, but what does that have to do with tire brand?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Someone said the kumho's bubble easier than other brands when you hit pot holes...and w/18's i suspect you'll be doing alot of that.

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber
FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims. Used for 2k miles. 600+shipping.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
In all honesty, I dont recommend Kuhmos, especially if you have larger aftermarket rims. Spend a little extra and buy something better like Yokos. I have Kuhmos and am definitely not thrilled with the grip. I went the cheap route and now I am paying the price.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
i know half a dozen ppl with kumhos including myself. the minute i had them on i noticed an increase in handling ability compared to stock tires. They're not bad tires. If you hit a pot hole and get a bubble, your chances of driving over a nail are more. I've hit 2 pot holes without any rim or tire damage. If any had occured i have the 10 dollar roadside warranty so i get a new one. They did wear down faster than their rating, i'm gonna try and get some new ones, but we had really bad weather here over the winter.

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dka:
i havent heard of any 50 series tires bubbling...but if you use a 40 series tire...watch out.</font>
have you been to NYC??? i had about 5 or 6 50 series tires bubble up on me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, in regards to tire bubbling, I haven't ran into it. Mine are the 50 series and there are a lot of bumps in the road here in Cali and everything shakes and makes noise when I run over things with this old car.

------------------
-- Rick
'90 Honda Prelude SI ALB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts