Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
OG
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I read through alot of past topics and couldn't find a definite answer, so here goes.

I'm riding on H&R Race Springs right now (2.0" front, 1.8" rear), and the drop is nice, except that the front probably won't fit any rims I want to get in the future. I have 0 fingers in the front and 1 in the back.

So my plan was to get Koni Yellow shocks, which have the adjustable perch settings, and bring the front up a little bit. This would solve the clearance problem and also replace my stock shocks, which are going to wear out sooner or later.

Problem is, I haven't found the definite answer as to how much you can raise/lower with Koni Yellows, and in which direction. As far as I can tell, the regular Koni Yellows have 2 front and 3 rear perch settings, while the Neuspeeds have 5 front and 5 rear, but with the same maximum adjustability (i.e. they're just finer tuned perches).

So, if I got Koni Yellows, would I be able to raise the front, or would it only go lower? Which settings on the Konis are "neutral" (as in if you didn't have springs, you'd be at stock ride height), and what's the maximum you can change this in either direction?

And if I can't, what do you guys think I should do to get some clearance (short of getting a new set of springs or coilovers)?

Thanks in advance. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
The Koni Yellows will allow you to have a higher ride height than you have now with the stock shocks. I've never measured it, but I think the lowest setting on the Konis is close to stock. Everyone I've seen lowered with stock shocks was lower than my car is with the Konis set on the highest perch. I never measured the distance between perches, but it is ~5/8" or so. if you want more adjustability, the Neuspeed version is always an option. Here is a picture to get an idea of the perch distance:

·
Registered
927 Posts
ok i understood joew not at all. the middle perch is about stock, thats where mine is. although mine looks lower because of a system in my trunk its not that much different from the front. as for the adjustibility id say its a good 2-21/2 difference from end to end, granted its been a while since i put mine on but i did have the nuespeed konis. from what i hear the regular konis have three and the nuespeeds just add perches in between those settings for just a little more options but not necscessasssarily (sp?) any lower.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I have the normal Koni's. 2 perches in front, and three in the back. Right now I have the back ones on the top level and the front one is .5 inchs higher than the top notch (custom spacer/perch). My springs are made by 5-zigen and where designed to be 1.8 in the rear and 2inch in the front. This left a zero gap when I was at the stock settings. For mine, the stock perch settings was the top one up front and the middle one in the back. This was way too low for daily driving and fitting my 225/45/R16s in the wheel wells so I had to raise it up to my current height. The gap now is about .75inch all the way around. I hope this helps.

The part you are worried about is: can I raise it higher than stock with the standard perch setting==>NO, but you can modify the strut for a new perch or do what I did, and slide a sleeve over the strut housing for whatever height you want.

·
Registered
147 Posts
each perch is 3/4 of an inch (regular koni's)

also 98vtec has H&r race w/ 48 offset rims and has no rubbing

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
I have H&R sports with Neuspeed Konis (5 perches). Each perch is .25" apart. The default setting is the middle for both front and back shocks so you can raise it 2 perches or drop it 2 perches (+.5" or -.5"). Right now, I raised it one perch so my drop ends up to be 1.15".

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
NoRice4U said:
I have H&R sports with Neuspeed Konis (5 perches). Each perch is .25" apart. The default setting is the middle for both front and back shocks so you can raise it 2 perches or drop it 2 perches (+.5" or -.5"). Right now, I raised it one perch so my drop ends up to be 1.15".
r u sure? i could have sworn the middle setting is LOWER than stock...the neuspeeds have a shorter shaft...i think the TOP
perch is same as stock...

·
OG
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
joedaddy said:
r u sure? i could have sworn the middle setting is LOWER than stock...the neuspeeds have a shorter shaft...i think the TOP
perch is same as stock...
Sorry for the OT: Myung, can you go to my rims thread and post your experience with the Nakayama GT-Rs? I'm gonna go look at them on Friday. :bigthumb:

http://www.preludeonline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120726

And now, back to the Konis: I've also heard that the top perch puts you at stock height. However, some people say that the Neuspeeds have the same size shaft, but a longer sleeve, so it just looks shorter. I'm not sure on that though. :p

·
Official PO.com Fob
2,062 Posts
okay, i am SO LOST .... can somebody just answer the damn question in more simple words? :laugh: :bigthumb:

can the koni yellows actually lower your car some more? or is it just the stock height?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jon Like Wh0a said:
okay, i am SO LOST .... can somebody just answer the damn question in more simple words? :laugh: :bigthumb:

can the koni yellows actually lower your car some more? or is it just the stock height?
it can lower your car more:) about 3/4 more

·
Registered
409 Posts
for regular konis.... front has 2 perches, top one is stock. rear has 3 middle is stock. difference in these is 20mm or slightly more than .5"

From what I have read on teh rear on neuspeed konis they are probably 10mm apart which allows for 5 setting with the same max and min.

If the fronts have 5 settings spaced 10mm apart they would have to either have a settings higher or lower than the regular konis.

My GUESS would be neuspeed fronts match the rears so you could raise up 2 levels or down 2 levels each level being 10mm.

So if my guess is right neuspeed konis let you raise or lower the whole car 20mm up or down in 10mm increments. Where as regular konis let you lower the front 20mm and either raise or lower the rear 20mm

·
wasting my youth
1,349 Posts
Another misinformation ridden suspension thread. :eek:

The Neuspeed konis do not have a shorter shaft, they have a shorter ROD. This will have no impact on ride height, it only allows the valving to be closer to a neutral position in the shock when the car is lowered, and prevents the springs from becoming unseated when the car is jacked up. Further research and calls to neuspeed indicate that the shock valving is the same on the OTS and Neuspeed konis, and the MIDDLE perch is for the default height.

Anyway... To answer your question, you could raise or lower either end of the car with neuspeed konis. This actually presents some advantages over coilovers, because the distance between the perches are precisely set from shock to shock it is unlikely that you will encounter the cornerweighting problems that plague coilover users.

·
wasting my youth
1,349 Posts
joedaddy said:
funny thing is that on my neuspeed konis, middle perch is NOT stock...the top one was...
You sure? Does it say so in the literature?

·
wasting my youth
1,349 Posts
Pshh.. just seem a bit foolish for neuspeed to make the top perch stock. Especially considering that would involve REMOVING perches from the stock konis Neuspeed is modifying.

Either you don't know what's going on, or Neuspeed doesn't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts