Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
VTEC On Ice = BAD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm on the road, 425 miles from home...and I get a CEL out of nowhere.

Check the number, it's a 23...knock sensor failure somewhere in the circuit.

So I reset the ECU, it comes back about five minutes later. I call Firestone, they want $230 for it installed. I'll buy it online and take it to a dealer

However, I reset the ECU one more time and it has not returned. The car seems to drive normally, with the usual low end sluggishness below 3000RPM I hope to take care of with rotor, cap, wires and plugs in a thousand miles or so.

CLIFF NOTES: If a knock sensor throws a code, once again after an ECU reset...but then does not come back should I still replace it or just chalk it up to a loose wire/etc? Could it still send wrong signals and reduce my timing?

Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
mines did the same, it came on n off about 2 days n stop for another 2 days so i thought that wasnt it but came back again, i replace it n it never came back, i bought one use for about 65 bucks at a junk yard , installation is a piece of cake, right on top of the oil filter. hope this help

·
VTEC On Ice = BAD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could a bad/failing knock sensor cause engine performance issues?

Obviously, retarded timing could cause some hesitation, and I am wondering if it is the cause of my sluggish feel below 3000RPM (not just low torque)

·
VTEC On Ice = BAD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolut said:
Could have been some bad gas, causing it to knock excessively?
It's possible, but from what I understand the Knock Sensor code 23 means a failure in the circuit...not excessive Knock.

Besides, after Firestone cleared the CEL it never came back...even though I drove it a good 10 miles on the potential bad tank of gas without the code coming back.

I'm pretty sure I'll replace it, a funny Knock sensor could be causing my hesitation issue below 3000 RPM...

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE PART NUMBER SO I CAN BUY IT EASILY ONLINE?

·
VTEC On Ice = BAD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone?

Want to order it and get it out of the way already :)

·
VTEC On Ice = BAD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bump please, I emailed hparts but am waiting for a reply...part number please?

·
Convicted GSR Rapist
1,512 Posts
prelude555 said:
mines did the same, it came on n off about 2 days n stop for another 2 days so i thought that wasnt it but came back again, i replace it n it never came back, i bought one use for about 65 bucks at a junk yard , installation is a piece of cake, right on top of the oil filter. hope this help
4g/5g?

I cant even SEE my oil filter for the most part ... Maybe thats my SH getting in my way.

·
VTEC On Ice = BAD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
achemze said:

4g/5g?

I cant even SEE my oil filter for the most part ... Maybe thats my SH getting in my way.
lol...yes I would expect that is the problem. I think even Marruci said that it's not worth replacing yourself on an SH Block

Thanks for the help guys, I hate bumping my own posts but sometimes you need answers...becuase I am fearing another CEL...ya dig? :)

Drew

·
Convicted GSR Rapist
1,512 Posts
GroverzVTEC said:

lol...yes I would expect that is the problem. I think even Marruci said that it's not worth replacing yourself on an SH Block

Thanks for the help guys, I hate bumping my own posts but sometimes you need answers...becuase I am fearing another CEL...ya dig? :)

Drew
i wanna see him chime in and say that. I felt bad for not wanting to do it :p

·
VTEC On Ice = BAD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All righty...well for the record I ordered the knock sensor from H-Parts

Knock Sensor was $97.69, along with a Disty Cap for $13.93, Disty Roto for $11.58, and a black Honda Center cap for $19.15 (lost one of mine a month ago.)

Hopefully installation will go smoothly. This is the biggest install I will do myself so far, considering my first ever oil change was two weeks ago :bigthumb:

Drew the Mechanic is very slowly arriving...have to start somewhere, with my trusty helms, if I'm ever going to get those Pulleys and Header installed

Drew

·
VTEC On Ice = BAD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
achemze said:
How did this project go? I still cant find mine. I would like a little direction. You have a base ... so it might different.
I received the parts, but have not installed it yet. On an SH it's in a different position I believe...

·
VTEC On Ice = BAD
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HELP: Does anyone have a picture of where the knock sensor is located on a base 5G Lude? I believe it's above the oil filter but I need to know for sure

·
Registered
748 Posts
The knock sensor sits in the center of the block, just below where the head meets the deck. If you can reach a little past the Oil filter on an SH, it's just under the IM in the middle. It's in a pretty busy spot with ATTS unit and the engine wiring harness conduit in the same vacenity.
I'm not sure on the Base but it should be above the oil filter, right below the IM.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Also: I believe that for you guys with H22s, with a bad KS, the car will go into limp mode.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts