Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much will this cost to get it installed on my 98 base....freakin didn't come standard that year....ahhh!...where can I get it too? hparts.com?

------------------

·
Registered
957 Posts
Not sure about cost, but if you're considering keyless entry, you might just want to get the OEM alarm instead. It is easy to install yourself and it comes with instructions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the oem alarm worth the money though? I bet between JUST keyless entry and the oem alarm there isn't that much of a price difference...I'll check it out.

thanks

·
Registered
698 Posts
i was looking at this for my 98....financially, it was better to get an aftermarket alarm with keyless entry option (which most do these days)

i think at the time, honda factory alarm and keyless cost like 6-700 bucks canadian....I bought a decent alarm (Avital Phoenix) for 400 installed......

·
Registered
957 Posts
well, if it isn't that much more, I'd get it. Hey, maybe you could even get an insurance discount for having an alarm?

You'll need to double-check to see what works for your 98 though. If I'm not mistaken, on HandA accessories, it said the alarm was for 99-01 Preludes only?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Wait, the 98 Preludes didn't come with keyless entry? My cousin has a 98 civic ex and I'm pretty sure he has keyless entry on his coupe. I'm not sure if it was standard or an option though...

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Keyless entry was made standard on the '99. My suggestion is to call a yard or find someone who had it and now has an aftermarket. All the keyless entry is, is a module behind the LH side panel (at the bottom) behind the driver. Pop it out then pop it into yours. I haven't used mine at all, as soon as I got the car I put my old alarm into it. Remotes are sitting in a drawer.

Find someone that's done this and has a factory alarm or keyless module they will part with. Or a junkyard. And before you ask, no, I won't part with mine. I want it for if/when I sell the vehicle. Should run you much, though (used).

·
Registered
957 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
Keyless entry was made standard on the '99. My suggestion is to call a yard or find someone who had it and now has an aftermarket. All the keyless entry is, is a module behind the LH side panel (at the bottom) behind the driver. Pop it out then pop it into yours. I haven't used mine at all, as soon as I got the car I put my old alarm into it. Remotes are sitting in a drawer.
</font>
Todd, where exactly is this module and what does it look like? Are you talking about the side sill or the pillar panel behind the driver?

Jtown, I can try to get mine out and I still have the two remotes for it, so maybe you could buy it from if you like.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SteveV:
Todd, where exactly is this module and what does it look like? Are you talking about the side sill or the pillar panel behind the driver?</font>
Looks like an ABS or SRS module. Roughly 1x3x5" if I recall. Should be held in by 2 or 3 philips or 10mm screws with one connector (harness) plugging into it.

If you're sitting in the rear left passenger's seat (behind the driver in the US/CA) it would be by your left hip, behind the plastic.

You'll need to remove the rear seat bottom (there are two tabs under the crotch area on each side that you need to pull), then pull back that plastic panel (held in with trim clips). You should see it there where the unit body under the seat meets the side of the car.

I'm *pretty* sure that's the only difference. I compared mine to Billy's when his was apart and that's all I could see. The wiring should be the same and if I recall, the Helm's corroborates this. Someone should check to be sure (I can't SOMEONE named BILLY hasn't returned mine yet). If you can look at the schematic for the power locks it should show the keyless entry module with dashed lines and "if so equipped" or something.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Todd, so should Jtown's 98 lude already be prewired for this? sorry, I don't have a helm's or anything.

·
Registered
957 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o0OO0o:
this is how much it costs:

</font>

oh wait, an arm and a leg?

[This message has been edited by SteveV (edited April 20, 2001).]

·
Registered
22 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TimbES3:

Wait, the 98 Preludes didn't come with keyless entry? My cousin has a 98 civic ex and I'm pretty sure he has keyless entry on his coupe. I'm not sure if it was standard or an option though...
</font>
My 98 SH did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts