Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i made a copy of my key today, and the weirdest things happened.

the key works, kinda. it fits in everything and turns everything, but the copy starts acting weird in the ignition. it will turn on the radio and accesories, but when trying to start the car, it does nothing. kinda like if i didnt have my clutch down, just nothing. is this normal, like a saftey feature or something? cuz thats really low on honda's part if i cant make a copy of my key anywhere except honda

·
powered by oyster sauce
2,345 Posts
Low on Honda's part eh? It's called an anti-theft feature.

There is a chip inside the key that needs to correspond to your ECU. It's a good thing.

·
Registered
777 Posts
depends on the year i guess, this must be an option on the new preludes because i know 4th gens dont have this.

·
Official PO.com Fob
2,062 Posts
ummm....ever heard of the immobilizer system?? well, obviously not. there is a chip within every black key that comes with the 5gen prelude. it corresponds with the ecu so your car will start. if you want to make a copy, you need to bring your red key in, and they'll make a copy for you. hopefully you didn't leave the copy (without the chip) in too long cuz i think if you leave it in too long, ur engine will lock, and honda will have to unlock it for you.

·
powered by oyster sauce
2,345 Posts
concLude said:
depends on the year i guess, this must be an option on the new preludes because i know 4th gens dont have this.
Right, he has a 5th gen, all of which have the immobilizer.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Jon Like Wh0a said:
hopefully you didn't leave the copy (without the chip) in too long cuz i think if you leave it in too long, ur engine will lock, and honda will have to unlock it for you.
I don't think that's true. I played with a copy in the ignition for a quite a while once (trying to start the car by keeping the original in close proximity, etc. - didn't work). There wasn't any problem starting the car afterwards with the real key.

And Honda can make you a copy if you don't have the red key anymore. Just be prepared to show proof of ownership and all that. It's not cheap, either.

I also recommend that everyone cover up the VIN number on the dashboard with electrical tape or whatever. With the immobilizer feature, all a thief needs is your VIN & an inside guy at a Honda dealership to get a key shipped straight from Japan that will start your car.

·
Registered
457 Posts
wow all 5th prelude has immobilizer?? i didn't think mine(97) did. and what's the red key?? original key to make copys of?? i bought my car used and the previous owner only gave me 1 key and another pink one in a box. i think that pink one is blank but i don't know cuz i've never opened it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
has anyone in here ever changed their key color on their 5th gens?

I want my operation key to be Red to match my car.

Is there a certain way i can get the bottom off the Red with effed up my car?

Or should I just paint my key with plastic based paint?

No flammers please, I dont wanna hear how stupid this is... just if i can be done :)

Thanks in advance ppl. :D

·
I don't believe in Titles
3,082 Posts
rayweipu said:

the red key won't start the car?? so it's for making copys only??

EDIT: is it the blank key with the chip??
You can start the car with it, but then your black one won't work. I don't know the ins and outs of it - but yeah, it's for making copies - if you have that, Honda won't have a problem. Truth is, they won't have a problem with the black one either

·
Former Lude Owner Club
475 Posts
question

Since we're on the key subject, I want to know how many keys(gray ones, black ones, red ones) and how many remotes came with the car stock. How many of each are you supposed to get when you buy it new from the dealer is the question.

·