Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody every think about trying this, have you tried it. I'm assuiming some machining would be required? I get the feeling with K20 heads the Prelude would enjoy the impressive gains from basic bolt ons as the RSX-S does. If you have any info at all on this please share!

·
Registered
170 Posts
not sure... but if you had to machine the K20 head.... why wouldn't you just machine the h22 head?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good points everyone, glad I posted this I got alot of great info. sexylude97, I mean machine the head for it to bolt up properly, not port & polish. I personally would MUCH rather have a K20 head, it would be beasty on an H22, the K20A2's heads are far, far more efficient than the H22A4's. Really the only arguement you could make toward wanting the H22 head is you like the sudden kick. I think the most major issue out of all these is the fact that the K20 rotates opposite of the H22. Just realized this, defeating any feasible possibility for this to happen. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Also, they k-series is chain driven. I remember long ago, there was a "secret-project" going on with k20 head on h22 block and some numbers were thrown (300+whp), but no real proof appeared.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you could swap the pulleys for sprockets, I'm seeing the opposing direction of rotation being the number one stopper. As for prepreludesh, your statement is full of nothing but true ignorance.

Please if you're going to disagree, throw some reasonable & relevant facts on the table to support why this is a bad idea. If you're planning on the standard flaming procedure save your breath. I don't mean to be extremely bold but I can already spot how this is going to play out. Any reason why you wouldn't want to have a K20A2 head on your H22 I'd love to hear. Please exclude installation issues, simply a finished product as this is what you're dissing on.

·
Lurkist
4,861 Posts
Any reason why you wouldn't want to have a K20A2 head on your H22 I'd love to hear. Please exclude installation issues, simply a finished product as this is what you're dissing on.
I've got a few reasons for not installing a K series head on an H series block:

1. If you mount the head so that the exhaust cam in toward the bumper (Original header exit for the H22), the cam gears are on the wrong side.

2. The K series rotation is opposite of the H series rotation.

3. Do you think the castings for these two are going to be even remotely close to matching up????

4. Do you prefer your penis cake with or without icing?

I'm thinking that prepreludesh is right on with his explanation. It is the dumbest idea ever, and you aren't scoring any points by choosing to ignore the obvious reasons for it being as such.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got a few reasons for not installing a K series head on an H series block:

1. If you mount the head so that the exhaust cam in toward the bumper (Original header exit for the H22), the cam gears are on the wrong side.

2. The K series rotation is opposite of the H series rotation.

3. Do you think the castings for these two are going to be even remotely close to matching up????

4. Do you prefer your penis cake with or without icing?

I'm thinking that prepreludesh is right on with his explanation. It is the dumbest idea ever, and you aren't scoring any points by choosing to ignore the obvious reasons for it being as such.
1. The side of the engine the exhaust exits is insignificant, what's stopping you from exiting the exhaust out the firewall side of the motor? You're thinking there's an H22 intake manifold in its way, which definately will not be there. You've got to remember the entire head set up can change now, what's stopping it?

2. Yup I stated that above, shooting it down.

3. Personally don't know, can't be impossible if you have any experience machining.

4. Flame on what you want, you have literally stated exactly what I predicted some fool would come along and say, I asked for some reasons why you wouldn't want a K20 head on your H22. It definately would not be impossible to get K20 head on, I thought I was suggesting a unique idea for some Prelude owner out there but I guess you wouldn't rather have 12.1:1 compression ratio, some of the best flowing heads Honda has ever produced, 8000 rpm capable unaltered, better fuel efficiency, and a very unique engine/exhaust noise. Also greater reliability with the chain driven timing over belt. Obviously it has it's flaws, but what doesn't in the development process? Dumbest idea ever eh....?

·
Lurkist
4,861 Posts
1. The side of the engine the exhaust exits is insignificant, what's stopping you from exiting the exhaust out the firewall side of the motor? You're thinking there's an H22 intake manifold in its way, which definately will not be there. You've got to remember the entire head set up can change now, what's stopping it?

3. Personally don't know, can't be impossible if you have any experience machining.

4. Flame on what you want, you have literally stated exactly what I predicted some fool would come along and say, I asked for some reasons why you wouldn't want a K20 head on your H22. It definately would not be impossible to get K20 head on, I thought I was suggesting a unique idea for some Prelude owner out there but I guess you wouldn't rather have 12.1:1 compression ratio, some of the best flowing heads Honda has ever produced, 8000 rpm capable unaltered, better fuel efficiency, and a very unique engine/exhaust noise. Also greater reliability with the chain driven timing over belt. Obviously it has it's flaws, but what doesn't in the development process? Dumbest idea ever eh....?
Blah blah blah.....

Argue all you want. It is impossible to mate the K20 head to an H22 block. The reasons have been stated.........by multiple people. But, since you are quite the stubborn child about it, I'll reiterate the obvious.

1. You say the side of the exhaust exit is insignificant. Sure. Tell that to the motormounts, which cause the block to be positioned far back enough that there is not enough room to route the exhaust b/t the block and firewall. Plainly, there is too much **** in the way to run the exhaust from the K head. (Assuming the head would fit on the block, which it won't!)

2. "Shooting it down" doesn't change the painful fact that the block bits are designed to rotate one way, while the head bits are designed to rotate the other. That means (again, assuming the head and block would actually fit together) that the head would breath in through the exhaust and out through the intake manifold. Shoot that down, genius.

3. Either you're not a machinist, or you're a first year apprentice to a really really bad machinist. Another point of interest. Check the headstuds. Do they line up? Hell no, they don't.

4. As stated multiple times: DUMBEST IDEA EVER!

You're like a little kid. "Nuh-uh. I don't believe it because I don't have to."

·
Lurkist
4,861 Posts
ps.

Of the seven threads you've created, not ONE of them bears the first sign of cognitive thought. Please pull your lower lip over your head and swallow.

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts

LOL I can't even believe you are still arguing this. Allow me to fill in the reasons why this will fail:

1) The k20A head is definitely not the best flowing head Honda makes. That's a myth. Ask any head porter, and they will all tell you the same answer: the f20c head. Hands down s2k head flows better out of the box than anything else Honda has made. This bizarre quest to get a k20 head on the h22 is like WTF.

2) You can just spin the cams backward in the k20a head and expect it to work. The cam profiles would be completely wrong. Regrinding won't help you, because if you examine the lobe profile, you need "meat" where you don't have any on the lobe, unless you go all insane and start welding up the lobes.

3) The real advantage with the k20 heads is in the VTC gears for cam advance. The problem is you could never use it with an H22 bottom end. k20 is chain drive, and the VTC sprockets are chain drive. Converting to a belt means you lose the VTC mechanism, since it's physically located in the sprocket.

4) The oil holes don't match between the head / block.

5) The coolant holes don't match between the head / block.

6) The dowel pins won't match between the head / block.

7) The bores are different size.

8) The firing order is different when you reverse the rotation. This means the cams will be out of sync with the pistons.

Need I go on?

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I couldn't get on here in a while... it's amazing to see the results of this thread since I posted my comments!

Blacklude1 and Artifex, I knew it wouldn't fit, but you guys are the icing on the cake as to the true technical points of why not... the icing on the penis cake that is.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts