Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a black 97 sh that the timing belt snapped today while I was on the highway doing about 70mph. I could have sworn I heard every valve bend :( The body has seen it's better day. Rust on the rear quarters is getting kind of bad. My question is do I swap it? Or get rid of it? I'm having a lot of trouble sourcing parts right now. I'm located in NJ. Would love to get my hands on a JDM F20B and t2w4 trans :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
No way to tell damage untill you open it up, or put on a new belt and see. However, lots of people got away with it, but you hearing things clash doesn't sound OK to me.. But if ever, now would be a time to swap.
Body issues can mostly be taken care of. We can't tell how much you're willing to do/spent on it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn H8314 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Replacing bent valves is time consuming, but inexpensive really. I bent 2 exhaust valves when mine broke. Head gasket, valves, coolant, lisle 36200 valve keeper removal tool and a decent impact wrench I was well under 300 bucks. Probably 150 if i didnt need tools.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replacing bent valves is time consuming, but inexpensive really. I bent 2 exhaust valves when mine broke. Head gasket, valves, coolant, lisle 36200 valve keeper removal tool and a decent impact wrench I was well under 300 bucks. Probably 150 if i didnt need tools.
The engine did burn 1qt every 200 miles. Would think I'm better off swapping it. Anyone in NJ with a H22, h23a vtec, or f20b full swap that their willing to part with? Money in hand :)

·
Registered
1997 Honda Prelude Base 5MT
2 Posts
Ugggh. I had this happen to me about two weeks ago but, the Prelude Gods were smiling down upon me. I wasn’t going quite as fast and I coasted into a parking lot to inspect and found that the whole belt snapped. After I TDC’d the motor, slapped on a Gates belt, and new Gates Auto-tensioner she fired right up with no evidence of piston to valve contact.

It was my fault for putting some no name brand belt on there 2 years ago though. It tried to take out the crank sensors as well.

Hope you find what you’re looking for or if you decide to repair, it goes well. Best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts