Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my AEM Pulleys Silver for a 1998 Honda Prelude I am just wondering if anyone knows the part number mine on the box says 23-7022C if anyone can second that i would greatly appreciate it. =) off the topic i have had my car for 7 months now all i got is AEM CAI, AEM Pulleys, CLear Bumper, lens Euro Clear Sidemarkers, TYPE SH Rims, and everyone light bulb is aftermarket EVEN THE TRUNK =) hehe well still in progress next mod is Headers any recommendations, trying to make mine a sleeper so no exhaust till end =)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jasonx82:
I just picked up my AEM Pulleys Silver for a 1998 Honda Prelude I am just wondering if anyone knows the part number mine on the box says 23-7022C if anyone can second that i would greatly appreciate it. =) off the topic i have had my car for 7 months now all i got is AEM CAI, AEM Pulleys, CLear Bumper, lens Euro Clear Sidemarkers, TYPE SH Rims, and everyone light bulb is aftermarket EVEN THE TRUNK =) hehe well still in progress next mod is Headers any recommendations, trying to make mine a sleeper so no exhaust till end =) </font>
where it said everyone light bulb i meant every light bulb =) OH and i almost forgot my SH Shift Knob with Boot =) No i do not have a TYpe Sh =)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's the same part number that was on the box I received last week.

I'm going to give you some good advice--If you don't have air/impact tools, let someone else install them for you. At least let someone with the proper tools remove the alternator pulley for you. It's a b!tch if you don't have the right tools.

------------------
<A HREF="http://gotigersgo.fansonly.com/sports/m-baskbl/mem-m-baskbl-body.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Record: 21-15 after starting 2-6
N.I.T. 3rd place

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
They don't really ADD hp, they just reduce the parasitic drag on the engine from the alternator and power steering pump. Less strain there means more is free to go to the wheels.

------------------
<A HREF="http://gotigersgo.fansonly.com/sports/m-baskbl/mem-m-baskbl-body.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Record: 21-15 after starting 2-6
N.I.T. 3rd place

·
Registered
662 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lude Brotha:
What exactly do the AEM pulleys do for your car??? How much hoarsepower does it add?</font>
Honestly.. I don't think it adds any horses.
May be one. or two at max
But that brushed aluminum pulleyz look good
under da hood

KC

·
Registered
662 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ahcjar103:
you get some good low end and mid range torque</font>
i thought parasitic drag reduction meant
high-rmp gain.. hp. (if therez any).
i doubt it makes any diff on torque.
hey but i'm guess'n. i never dyno'ed after
AEM pulleys

KC

·
Registered
195 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PassatVR6:
the Unorthodox Racing crank pulley is where it's at!</font>
some people have the opinion that the solid crank pulley is a problem over time.

also the parasitic drag is going to affect the motor the most when it's output levels are at it's lowest. The output of the motor is the lowest at low rpms.

[This message has been edited by Luder-xhpx (edited April 03, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kckckc:
i thought parasitic drag reduction meant
high-rmp gain.. hp. (if therez any).
i doubt it makes any diff on torque.
hey but i'm guess'n. i never dyno'ed after
AEM pulleys

KC

</font>
they increase peak hp only 1 or 2 hp, but more importantly, you have to look at the whole rpm band...in some places (mid range for example), you can pick up 4, maybe 5, possibly 6 ft. lbs of torque and a few hp

if you lighten something, it makes it easier
to get it started, and thus a good low and mid range gain...since it takes more work to keep something lighter going at high rates, the curves come closer together up top

·
Registered
662 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ahcjar103:
they increase peak hp only 1 or 2 hp, but more importantly, you have to look at the whole rpm band...in some places (mid range for example), you can pick up 4, maybe 5, possibly 6 ft. lbs of torque and a few hp

if you lighten something, it makes it easier
to get it started, and thus a good low and mid range gain...since it takes more work to keep something lighter going at high rates, the curves come closer together up top
</font>

I think your argument is valid: if you
lighten up, it becomes easier to spin.
But using the same logic, wouldn't it become
more easier to spin, for instance, going from
7k to 8k rpm instead of 2k-3k?
I never done dyno with(out) aem pulleys but
it's hard to believe gain is noticeable.

Honestly, I like the looks.

bit pricy for "just da looks" but, hey,
I've seen peeps buying stickers for bucks.

KC

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
KC
</font>
I'm not an engineer, but what I remember from 8th grade science class is that the lighter weight makes it easier to start it spinning at low rpms. Once it gets going, the weight isn't a factor any more. I believe the term is inertia, or momentum, or something like that.

One other thing--manual 'Lude drivers just don't notice the gains from the AEM pulleys. Automatic 'Lude drivers do for some reason. This points back to the gains being in the low-rpm range rather than up high.

I'll tell you something I noticed today: The A/C sucks power like a MOFO! DAMN! Today was the first day I've had the A/C going since November. NO BALLS!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

Honestly, I like the looks.

bit pricy for "just da looks" but, hey,
I've seen peeps buying stickers for bucks.

KC
</font>
Once things get to a certain point, the object with more mass will gain the advantage. For example, on an 18-speed bike, pedal as fast as you can for 200 feet in first gear. Then, pedal as fast as you can for 200 feet in say 18 gear. First gear will be the easier one initally, but takes more work to keep going at a higher rate of speed because it doesn't have the mass to provide ample stability (remember P=MV...momentum equals mass times velocity). Eighteenth gear will be harder to accelerate in the beginning, but once going, speed will be easier to maintain due to the added mass. (I know there are flaws in this scenario with diameter of the gears, etc, but one it's just an example, and two, this shows why AEM makes the pullies not only lighter, but larger in diameter...this helps the pulleys maintain stability at higher rpms)

and yes, they do look sweet

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well got my AEM Pulleys installed today. WEll at first i barely felt anything becuase i forgot how my car use to run before i had them on, anyways i dont care if anyone believes me or not but my car feels faster accelerates alot quicker as noticabley quicker faster response when i tap the gas when im cruising. And also seems to take me high speeds quicker.. did i already say that? anyways i think it looks nice too im sure it was worth the money i paid =P anyways next MOD Prelude TYPE S CamSHafts =) here i come saw em today brand new =) wow very nice =) ill have them next month =P hopefully

·
Registered
666 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jasonx82:
Well got my AEM Pulleys installed today. WEll at first i barely felt anything becuase i forgot how my car use to run before i had them on, anyways i dont care if anyone believes me or not but my car feels faster accelerates alot quicker as noticabley quicker faster response when i tap the gas when im cruising. And also seems to take me high speeds quicker.. did i already say that? anyways i think it looks nice too im sure it was worth the money i paid =P anyways next MOD Prelude TYPE S CamSHafts =) here i come saw em today brand new =) wow very nice =) ill have them next month =P hopefully</font>
how much did you pay for them? and yeah did you install it yourself or get it installed somewhere? btw, is garden grove near LA?

------------------
98 FBP Prelude SS
AEM Intake
Eibach Pro-kit
Koni Yellows
Neuspeed Strut Bar
32 Tint all around

1 - 19 of 19 Posts