Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this warranty up to 75k miles will still cover my tranny and other major components i beat to crap which will probally fail within 75k miles. Just got off phone with a rep and he said only thing they really care about and dont cover is when people add superchargers or turbos to the vehicles. besides that they cool with covering parts as long as the specific after market part didnt cause the fault with the stock part. I still wonder if a alternator pulley can be blamed for a alternator failure. from talking too the guy, doesnt seem like they cared =)

heh

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by zentron:
I still wonder if a alternator pulley can be blamed for a alternator failure. from talking too the guy, doesnt seem like they cared =)

heh
</font>
I wondered the same thing although it makes no sense I can see them putting up a stink about it. I had a problem with the charging system and had the AEM pulleys on the car. Just to be safe I swapped the pulleys back to stock and chalked it up to things you got to put up with when using aftermarket goodies! But yeah if you have a SS I'd keep that warranty if for nothing else peace of mind. There's been quite a few SS owners with problems on their transmissions.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Zentron,

I got the 100k mile warranty. I'd be careful about what they say. When the guy was selling the warranty to me, I asked him if shocks were covered b/c I planned on dropping the car. He said sure it was, but then I was reading the warranty agreement and it clearly said it wasn't. I asked him about that and he said that he thought it was covered!...and this is the guy that sells the warranty all the time! I asked numerous people at the Honda dealership about dropping and stuff and they all gave different answers. The last answer I got (and I think it's true) was that it all depends is Honda of America will cover it. If the aftermarket part caused the malfunction, then they won't...but I'm not sure who has the burden of proof. Does anyone know? DO I have to prove that it didn't or do they have to prove that it did?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm wondering...when do u buy the extended warranty? Can i buy it after i purchased the car? Do i have to buy it @ the dealership i originally purchased it at?

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

·
Registered
951 Posts
You must keep in mind that the guy who tries to sell you the warranty (I forget his title) makes most of his money off selling these add-ons. If the guy was the least bit unethical, he'd tell you whatever you wanted to hear to make a buck. I'm not saying this is what they do... just that the possiblity exists.

To shut my guy up I just mentioned the work Supercharger and he stopped cold... end of discussion.

·
&quot;PO Doc&quot;
1,484 Posts
what does it cost to get the extended warranty? I have a 98 base with 60k and it needs a new 02 sensor, work on teh climate control, headliner rattle...just curious if it it less than 800 bucks it may be worth it...

Neel

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nmehta211:
what does it cost to get the extended warranty? I have a 98 base with 60k and it needs a new 02 sensor, work on teh climate control, headliner rattle...just curious if it it less than 800 bucks it may be worth it...

Neel
</font>
I'm not sure if it's true for all dealers but mine told me I had to agree to it before I was out of the factory warranty.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
another thing you can do, and il'l use the alternator as an example, is before taking it into the shop, replace the stock part. Take of the alternator aem pulley and put on the stock one and they'll cover it. Somebody hydrolocked their car w/ a cold air intake and put the stock intake box back on and got an entire new engine. Granted it took over a month to get the engine shipped here but still

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99Prelude_LC:
Somebody hydrolocked their car w/ a cold air intake and put the stock intake box back on and got an entire new engine. Granted it took over a month to get the engine shipped here but still
</font>
No way!!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scriber:
I'm wondering...when do u buy the extended warranty? Can i buy it after i purchased the car? Do i have to buy it @ the dealership i originally purchased it at?

</font>

There are a lot of options regarding extended warranties. One option is to get it from the dealer.
A. They are always more expensive.
B. But you can always negotiate the price.
C. Warranty work will have to be performed at that specific dealer OR an authorized Honda service department.
If you get a warranty from the dealer always make sure its a MANUFACTURER'S warranty and not just specific to that dealer. That way you can get work done at any Honda dealer without hassles.

Your other option is to research aftermarket extended warranties. These are typically cheaper, a better value, and you can have work done at almost any garage or serive department. But there are disadvantages to aftermarket extended warranties, and if you don't do your homework you can get a little screwed.
A. The bank or company honoring your warranty coverage may go out of business rendering your warranty useless.
B. Some companies make you get permission before you get work done at a shop, or they even dictate what shops you can have the work done at.
C. Some shops/severice departments won't deal with some extended warranty companies because of how the provider pays or at which rates they cover. Make sure the company that covers you warranty says they pay retail rates on parts and service, and that they pay with VISA or some sort of credit card. That way the garage gets its money fast.

To answer your other question: Yes, it's always best to purchase an extended warranty when your car is still within it's factory warranty. You can usually get better pricing and coverage.

Problem with extended warranties is that almost nobody knows anything about them, and most people get d!cked over. I learned the hard way; that's why I know a fair amount about them now!

OK, that wasn't too organized of an explanation, but I tried to point out the good and the bad of both.

------------------
OOkie
2000pearlWHITEbase

Cripes! Another white 5th gen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts