Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah i'm pretty much a noob just got my prelude 92 si yesterday and i wanted to know if anyone had any tips about what i should look for and try to avoid. And what i can do to make it faster (one of my a-hole friends has a 240 said he would kill me) I want to prove him wrong lol thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Do you have stick or auto? What year and model is your a-hole friend's 240sx? Is his stick or auto? How much are you willing to spend?

·
Registered
106 Posts
aren't 240's hella slow?

but like they asked above auto or manual.

oh and a tip, a lot of the people i know tend to wreck or just abuse their first car. don't do it!

·
Vroooom
633 Posts
ya just let him be.... who cares if he can "kill you"... he'll blow his motor within a year, and you'll be laughing.

Tips:
-DO NOT rice out your prelude. Keep it classy, and keep it CLEAN! Old hondas can rust out in the quater panels quickly, so make sure you get a good coat of wax on the car.
-Prelude's tend to burn oil. Keep an eye on your oil levels. Once the oil light comes on it can already be too late
-Don't buy a body kit... none of them fit correctly. Except WW (wings west) lips
-Nobody will make fun of you if you DON'T RACE... when someone revs their engine to you, they WANT you to look at them.... they crave attention. Pretend you don't hear them and stare straight forward, or check your mirrors, etc. It makes them 10x more mad

·
Registered
23 Posts
ya just let him be.... who cares if he can "kill you"... he'll blow his motor within a year, and you'll be laughing.

Tips:
-DO NOT rice out your prelude. Keep it classy, and keep it CLEAN! Old hondas can rust out in the quater panels quickly, so make sure you get a good coat of wax on the car.
-Prelude's tend to burn oil. Keep an eye on your oil levels. Once the oil light comes on it can already be too late
-Don't buy a body kit... none of them fit correctly. Except WW (wings west) lips
-Nobody will make fun of you if you DON'T RACE... when someone revs their engine to you, they WANT you to look at them.... they crave attention. Pretend you don't hear them and stare straight forward, or check your mirrors, etc. It makes them 10x more mad
+1, Very well said!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

Tips:
heh, i do that quite often to all the kids' primered civics, also mostly cause the main road that runs up and down the beaches is like so easy to get pulled over on. its nice having them speed off then a few blocks down the road theyre pulled over. XD

the body kit thing is serious, its what gives most preludes a bad name, all the body kits out there look pretty terrible, all you need is a nice lip kit or even the stock one and youre set. also, just say no to altezzas. ;)

·
Vroooom
633 Posts
a few more tips:

-Girls aren't impressed by colored interior, loud bass, and coffee can exhausts. Most girls just like a "nice car". Meaning, keep the interior clean and smelling fresh, and keep the car looking nice.
-Preludes have great handling. Do some research before you decide to buy new rims (if you plan to.) Some rims can affect the great handling that preludes have
-6.5" speakers fit in the rear, and in the doors.

And welcome to the forum. This a great place for you to be and learn alot about your car. Check the FAQ section as well, there are great writeups in there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Altezzas are tail lights FYI. Personally I like being DIFFERENT, being a "ricer" shouldn't affect the way you play with your FIRST car. You can do what you want with it; just don't mess it up ;).

I have a $1000 Kenwood audio system in my car, and I LOVE IT. I dont have it for "girls" or even people, it's for my personal enjoyment. If you love loud music, and not the attention, go for it.

There are plenty of forums here with the EXACT SAME QUESTION you had. I'm surprised nobody has yelled SEARCH yet....

No I'm not a jerk, that's why I'm going to throw some short tips as well.

I "riced" out my first car; BUT i also built my engine up and now I drive a 94 SI. My opinion is to save your money and build your motor. Your engine is what makes your car GO. I would spend the money on that so that you can rely on it, a body kit or headlights/tail lights don't increase horsepower or make the car run better.

Some basic, cheap things to buy first....

--New spark plugs/race wires
--A cheap intake off of eBay. You don't have to have a $600 intake to get even a little bit of performance. As long as it's sucking in COLD AIR, you're golden.
--A new exhaust. This includes header, a high flow catalytic converter, and a "Catback". By catback i mean a 2.5" piping you can buy off ebay that is from the catalytic converter back. Bigger piping equal better exhaust flow.
--Tuning your car is a bonus if you have the extra cash.
--Try to replace panels that have rust, or like what was said, slap some wax to slow down the oxidation process, they rust like bastards.
--Always ALWAYS check your oil at least every other day, these older cars are notorious for the oil leaks. I didn't believe it til it happened to me on the HIGHWAY! :/
--Make sure you use 93 rated gas ;)
--In my first car i used engine mount INSERTS, i'm not sure if they make them for the prelude as i've just reminded myself to look for it. If anyone can elaborate on that, it would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pretty sure this wasn't mentioned, but if your ABS light comes on, don't panic, 80% of other Prelude owners suffer the same issue.

·
Lurkist
4,861 Posts
To the OP:

If you want your car to look like this.......

Then do exactly this:

l33tn3wb3r said:
Altezzas are tail lights FYI. Personally I like being DIFFERENT, being a "ricer" shouldn't affect the way you play with your FIRST car. You can do what you want with it; just don't mess it up .

I have a $1000 Kenwood audio system in my car, and I LOVE IT. I dont have it for "girls" or even people, it's for my personal enjoyment. If you love loud music, and not the attention, go for it.

There are plenty of forums here with the EXACT SAME QUESTION you had. I'm surprised nobody has yelled SEARCH yet....

No I'm not a jerk, that's why I'm going to throw some short tips as well.

I "riced" out my first car; BUT i also built my engine up and now I drive a 94 SI. My opinion is to save your money and build your motor. Your engine is what makes your car GO. I would spend the money on that so that you can rely on it, a body kit or headlights/tail lights don't increase horsepower or make the car run better.

Some basic, cheap things to buy first....

--New spark plugs/race wires
--A cheap intake off of eBay. You don't have to have a $600 intake to get even a little bit of performance. As long as it's sucking in COLD AIR, you're golden.
--A new exhaust. This includes header, a high flow catalytic converter, and a "Catback". By catback i mean a 2.5" piping you can buy off ebay that is from the catalytic converter back. Bigger piping equal better exhaust flow.
--Tuning your car is a bonus if you have the extra cash.
--Try to replace panels that have rust, or like what was said, slap some wax to slow down the oxidation process, they rust like bastards.
--Always ALWAYS check your oil at least every other day, these older cars are notorious for the oil leaks. I didn't believe it til it happened to me on the HIGHWAY! :/
--Make sure you use 93 rated gas
--In my first car i used engine mount INSERTS, i'm not sure if they make them for the prelude as i've just reminded myself to look for it. If anyone can elaborate on that, it would be appreciated
Anything I highlighted in boldface is either straight-up fiction, or just plain laughable nonsense.

In other words, this kid is a complete ricer stooge. Don't heed his advice unless you would also like to be a complete ricer stooge.

Seriously, who in the world would follow this kid's advice???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok my ABS light came on :( and my mechanics diagnostic machine only works 96 and up so now i have to find a new guy it started out lime green.
Now its FEROCIOUS MIDNIGHT BLUE. and i've got a rockford fosgate amp 2k wats
replaced both 6.5's in front and put in rockford ones and i have 2 10's in the back
o btw its an auto but the owner put in an h23 vtech so yup any other advice?

·
Registered
79 Posts
H23 VTEC? Somebody can correct me but there is no 2.3 liter VTEC engine for the Prelude. The 4th gen Si came with a 2.3 liter engine (H23A1) and the 4th gen VTEC (stick only) engine was called the H22A1 which had a 2.2 liter in it. I'm guessing that you have the H23A1 with 160hp (non-VTEC).

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
PirateMcfred has an h23 vtec on honda-tech.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts