Honda Prelude Online banner

Just Got a '97 Lude---What About These Mods?

2K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  MonStar 
#1 ·
I just got a 1997 satin silver automatic SS Prelude.

I have a bunch of things that I am going to be doing to it over the next few months. Lemme know what you guys think.

Well, here is what is done so far:

- Cheap Xenon headlights from Pep Boys, not white enough though! Look yellowish, etc. The bulb is blue but theyre just not that bright, etc.

- Superwhite interior lights and side marker and parking lights. So that looks good I think.

Here is what I want to do:

1) 35% black tint
2) AEM cold air intake w/ bypass valve
3) OEM bodykit
4) keyless entry/remote start
5) aluminum interior dash kit
6) head unit
7) HID kit?
8) sway bars for suspension?

Please give me some input guys, appreciate it. I do NOT want to lower my car at all. The stock height for the Prelude is damn low if you ask me, dont want to drop it anymore. I am probably going to maybe get sway bars or whatever for suspension, however.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
I have 88K on my Lude, tranny is fine. Honda just inspected it the other day said it looked perfect.

Anyway, I am much more concerned about the 'look' than anything else. I thought my Prelude was satin silver? The touchup paint I got the guy said was satin silver. F*CK, so that means I am not going to be able to use the Satin Silver bodykit off of HandaAccessories.com.

I dont know why I like the aluminum dash kit, to each is own.

Any other advice? I will go with strut bars eventually.

Discussion starter · #11 · (Edited)
WOW, lots of good info guys, thanks!

Okay I am going to go with 35% tint. Here in Delaware people gey away with everything. My brother has 5% all around except windshield and he has never been stopped!

Okay I guess my car is not satin silver, which SUCKS, so I will probably end up going with the WW racing series kit then. I dont like a really agressive looking kit so that one looks the most modest. I have heard that WW kits are excellent. Do you guys agree?

Two-Five Boy PLEASE e-mail me pics of the aluminum dash kit, appreciate it. MonStar1120@yahoo.com.

You should get the grill that came with the later 5th gen Prelude. Correct me if I'm worng but the 97 lude has the slits, right? I like the one that is on my 2001. Makes a difference.
I have NO IDEA what youre talking about man! Sorry. What grill? And what slit?

Any other advice guys.

I will skip the bypass valve thanks for the tip.

And for the wheels I LOVE the OEM Prelude wheels, damn. Theyre one of my favorite things about the car.

I was just considering HIDs because I LOVE the look of superwhite headlights. Ill check out www.xenondepot.com, thanks for the link!

Thanks guys!

EDIT: By the way how white are the lights from xenondepot?

Also, I am not sure about suspension yet. Its going to be one of the last things that I do. What is my best bet WITHOUT lowering the car?

Discussion starter · #12 ·
And about the keyless entry and remote start, I am not getting that OEM at all. There is a local place called Tweeter that will do both for $239, and they give a lifetime warranty on their products. So that should work out well.

Discussion starter · #20 · (Edited)
the color on HID kits vary depending on the output. Stock HID's like Acura, Lexus puts out ~4100k, which in theory is the closest to the color of the sun and hence brightest on the road. The higher # u go the more blue/purple it becomes. I have the 6000k kit and the light is mostly white/slightly blue. IMO anything more than 6000k starts getting too purple for my taste.[/b]
Hey man how much did you pay for your HID set from xenondepot.com? Because I definitely want it to be VERY bright and VERY white. So 6000K kit sounds about right for me. A hint of blue is fine with me, nothing wrong with that. I just want the headlights to stand out at night from the rest of the cars, thats all.

I honestly dont want to dump TOO much into my headlights since theyre only seen at night. But I do want them as white as can be. And quality is what I am after. Around $300-400 sounds about right for me if possible. Cheaper the better obviously---cheaper price not cheaper quality.

In terms of the bodykit, Wings West racing series kit sounds about right. Ill have to get it painted and one placed quoted me right around $500 to do it, and I have heard good things about them---so I think thats my best bet.

About the grill, where would I find a new one? Are they hard to change? I dont really notice THAT much of a difference at all. The only thing I like about the new ones is the Prelude emblem up front. Other then that it doesnt matter much to me.

Neuspeed Front STB
Spoon Rear STB, no choice here since nobody else makes them
ST rear anti-sway bar( get the fronts too if u'd like)
Upgrade ur shocks to KYB AGX's. These are 4-way adjustable dampers and offer a much higher level of performance vs. the stock shocks.
Ill do the strut bars eventually. How much would the front and rear strut bars and anti-sway bars cost? Are the front anti-sway bars worth the money? Shocks I am little iffy about at this point. Theyre pretty damn expensive... I dont know yet.

Discussion starter · #25 · (Edited)
Yeah I will do suspension mods eventually. Right now I am just worried about making the car look the way that I want it. I am not TOO concerned with performance gains at this point.

I just checked xenondepot.com and JEEZ that sh*ts expensive! $549 for a 6000K HID kit. I cant believe that. I guess there is no way to get them cheap huh? I would love to spend around $300 or so. DAMN!

By the way, I like the grill the way that it is now WAY more than the newer grills, just personal preference.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Okay guys thanks.

I am curious how much are pulley's going to run me price wise? And they will add some low-end torque that I am going to lose from the CAI?

Thanks again guys.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Oh okay that makes sense. Now where should I search for them.

I think Ill just end up doing my AEM CAI and my pulley's together. See if that makes a noticeable difference.

Discussion starter · #41 ·
A CF hood is out of the question. I hate look of that.

What do headers do? Please explain these to me, covering cost and everything. I LOVE the OEM Prelude exhaust the way it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.