Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just went to the inspection station and after about 45 min of the breaking my balls about my ride hight, they said the car is to low to be street driven. but my big problem is i failed emsions. does anyone know if any of my mods could have caused me to fail. could i fail emisions if my fuel pressure is set to high or anything. what about the obd1 ecu swap or type-s cams. here is a list of my mods any help would be great.

type-s cams
cam gears
obd1 ecu swap
dc header
dc intake
greddy pe exhaust
fpr
msd 6al
uo pullys

------------------
for sale:18" giovviona kuji rims w/toyo t1-s 215-35-18

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Don't you have a VAFC too? If so maybe set everything back to 0?

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

G

·
I would try leaning it out a bit. Running rich increases emissions. Do they VTEC when they do the test? If not, it's not the cams.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
18 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
I would try leaning it out a bit. Running rich increases emissions. Do they VTEC when they do the test? If not, it's not the cams.

</font>
It depends on what emission he failed. If you are running rich, you will fail HC and CO. If you are running too lean you will fail NOx and HC.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just had mine done in Jersey. The dude was being rad, 7 months past do (woops), he didn't give me problems about the bodykit and started a conversation about what I paid to get the n2o installed. No, they don't rev high enough on the dyno to hit vtec, so it's not the cams. It may be the obd1 swap. But I doubt it. I passed everything under the average by a sick amount, to the point that I don't think a swap to obd1 could jump the emissions over the average ratings. Definetly find out if you're running rich, that's probably the problem.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i failed co and they only rev the car 2500 on the dyno when they doit.

------------------
for sale:18" giovviona kuji rims w/toyo t1-s 215-35-18

·
Registered
298 Posts
did you have a long wait before it was your turn? i know that in ct some cars have failed after waiting in line for a while at idle. happened to my grandmother. she zipped it down the highway at 75 and came back, no line, passed with flying colors.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
I guarantee you are running too rich. Lean it out where they do the test- should be idle and then that 2500 RPM. I'd lean it 5-7%. I wouldn't leave it there, I'd dyno tune it for a permanent fix. For now, though, if you set it lean you shouldn't damage anything and pass emissions.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
U got e-mail

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
mazen,

for obd2 cars, they plug the obd2 probe into your car. on my 96 accord swap, they plugged in the probed right behind my ashtray. it's definitely the obd1 swap.

did you see if the probe was attached to the car while they did the rpm test.

nj inspection is no joke these days.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bgod:
mazen,

for obd2 cars, they plug the obd2 probe into your car. on my 96 accord swap, they plugged in the probed right behind my ashtray. it's definitely the obd1 swap.

did you see if the probe was attached to the car while they did the rpm test.

nj inspection is no joke these days.
</font>
GODDAMN.......I'm moving!

bgod you know the guys at Rampage? I need to go there.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
I've heard that goo you can buy at like PepBoys that guarantees that you'll pass emissions actually works (believe it or not). You pour the bottle in your gas tank and the car will run a little funny for the current tank and your next tank of gas, but people say it works... And it has a money back guarantee that you will pass too. So if you try the emissions goo and fail the test again, make sure the emissions station gives you a print out stating that you failed so you can get reembursed from the company that makes the goo...

Does NJ charge you a fee for the test every time you have it run on your car? Or is it just a fee when you actually pass?

Andrew

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I have a friend that works at a shop that did my inspection for me and that can't even switch cars for emissions anymore. The OBD-II plug does plug into the machine and they had tried using a '00 model car to get a 4cyl something through. They didn't use the OBD-II probe since the tested car wasn't OBD-II and it still new tht the car being "sniffed" was a 6cyl somehow. Weird stuff!

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
I have a friend that works at a shop that did my inspection for me and that can't even switch cars for emissions anymore. The OBD-II plug does plug into the machine and they had tried using a '00 model car to get a 4cyl something through. They didn't use the OBD-II probe since the tested car wasn't OBD-II and it still new tht the car being "sniffed" was a 6cyl somehow. Weird stuff!</font>
What the hell are you talking about?!

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malken00:
What the hell are you talking about?!
</font>
Well a trick they used to do is switch a new car just for emissions. This way your old smoker could pass. For some reason when they tried this with the new machines it told him that the car being tested was a 6cyl when the car that was being entered was a 4cyl. Somehow it knew this strictly by RPM's and emissions. We think it's something to do with the RPM's because that's the only hook-up to the car.

Basically NJ inspections is VERY tough to get past if your not legit.

Sorry for the half ass post

1 - 15 of 15 Posts