Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew it was going to be bad. After racing on Saturday I started hearing some noises coming home. The battery and oil light was up. I checked my oil level and it's completely empty. I know, it's my fault for not checking it in the first place, but I didnt tell any of this to the Honda, but just that there was noises coming out of my engine. Their only reason that they have against me is on their record book my regular maintainance is off by alot. I told them that I do my own oil change sometime every 4k instead of 6k. They said that they will still blame it on me unless I show proof some how, like a oil filter recipt or something like that. I thought to myself at this point. Who is going to have a oil recipt that long ago. So what do I do or how can I argue this to them? Oh and when I asked them how much it's going to cost to repair it, they quoted me $5000(Canadian dollars).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone help me? I know some of you guys have had problems dealing with Honda dealership and any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Luong98:
I know, it's my fault for not checking it in the first place, but I didnt tell any of this to the Honda, but just that there was noises coming out of my engine. </font>

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Dude, you deserve to have to buy your own new engine. You're the reason they won't honor "real" warranty claims, or claims just out of warranty (which they used to).

Suck it up. You've learned your lesson the hard way. Don't make the rest of us pay for it.

·
rotorless rotorite :(
1,652 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
Dude, you deserve to have to buy your own new engine. You're the reason they won't honor "real" warranty claims, or claims just out of warranty (which they used to).

Suck it up. You've learned your lesson the hard way. Don't make the rest of us pay for it.
</font>
what he said.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
(Base 5 sp)
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion
Ground Control Coilovers

·
Registered
149 Posts
just go to any body shop or speed shop, and get them to sell you a back dated receipt =)

specifically, go to the asian ones LOL...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Dude it happens, But you should have checked your oil !!! It would help if the Prelude had better low oil warning system, or even an oil gauge considering Honda knows that the VTEC engine eat's alot of oil.

Does your car still have any warranty on it if so they have to fix it, they can't prove your were racing. Call Honda Canada and tell them what the problem is they'll refer your to another dealership. This way the dealership would have already been notified about your problem and would be more willing to help you out.

GET YOUR SELF AN OIL PRESSURE GAUGE!!

------------------
2000 Silver Lude
Toronto Prelude Club

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate you guys honesty, but I need more then "it's your fault". First I never knew that VTEC eats so much oil. I'm not as mechanically inclined as most of you guys here. Luded, yes my car is still under warranty and I'll be calling Honda Canada tomorrow to see what I can do. If indeed I do have to pay for a new engine, then I will, but there's no need for it if it can be covered under warranty. The dealership that I dealt with here will find ways not to honor the warranty, because why would they when they can get you to pay for it. My car is stock, I race only in the weekends and I get my car regular maintaince eventhough it's not done by Honda. I dont see why it's completely my fault here just because I didnt check my oil level. I need more then criticism and some help from fellow Luders.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
you can use the fact that you didn't know about the oil consumption inherent in the 5gen ludes. Most cars don't consume this much oil, but i'm really surprised that you didn't notice anything earlier. It's a long shot, but take it to court if you have to. Seriously though, if you change your oil regularly this should not have happened. 5gen ludes consume about a quart per 1100 miles and that's under extreme driving.

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smoothludey:
5gen ludes consume about a quart per 1100 miles and that's under extreme driving.</font>
Unless you're fortunate enough to have one like me that consumes no oil.

I think that the dealer should have to cover it but you'll probably have to put up one hell of a fight in order to get it done. Lesson learned: keep your receipts.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

G

·
I appreciate you guys honesty, but I need more then "it's your fault". First I never knew that VTEC eats so much oil. I'm not as mechanically inclined as most of you guys here. Luded, yes my car is still under warranty and I'll be calling Honda Canada tomorrow to see what I can do. If indeed I do have to pay for a new engine, then I will, but there's no need for it if it can be covered under warranty. The dealership that I dealt with here will find ways not to honor the warranty, because why would they when they can get you to pay for it. My car is stock, I race only in the weekends and I get my car regular maintaince eventhough it's not done by Honda. I dont see why it's completely my fault here just because I didnt check my oil level. I need more then criticism and some help from fellow Luders.</font>
So basically you want to defraud Honda Canada, right?

What help do you want? BE AN ADULT AND SUCK IT UP.

And you wonder why your dealer doesn't like to honor waranty work. Probably because a quarter of all waranty work is fraud!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really dont know what happened either. I dont always get my oil changed at the specific requirements, but it's usually no more then 2000km off. The last time I got it changed I was 1000km off the specific date that I was suppose to change it at.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">So basically you want to defraud Honda Canada, right?

What help do you want? BE AN ADULT AND SUCK IT UP.

And you wonder why your dealer doesn't like to honor waranty work. Probably because a quarter of all waranty work is fraud!!!!!!!!!
</font>
No, I'm not trying to defraud anyone. Just that if I am right then I expect Honda to honor their warranty and that's all I am saying. Billy you seem like a very knowledgeable guy and some of you guys do your own work so you guys will be alright just settling off. I'm 21 and still in school, so I'm limited in funds.

I've been on this board now for more then 2 years now and most of you guys are very friendly. I dont want to argue about this but just that if any of you guys know what I should do please tell me.

[This message has been edited by Luong98 (edited April 11, 2001).]

·
Registered
997 Posts
DAMN...those responses were kinda harsh.

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber
FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims. Used for 2k miles. 600+shipping.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
If you had your oil changes done on time, you wouldn't have had this problem. If you can afford to race then you can afford recommended oil changes. Don't try to con Honda into fixing a problem that was clearly your fault.

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
No, I'm not trying to defraud anyone. Just that if I am right then I expect Honda to honor their warranty and that's all I am saying. Billy you seem like a very knowledgeable guy and some of you guys do your own work so you guys will be alright just settling off. I'm 21 and still in school, so I'm limited in funds. </font>
Hmmmmmmmmm, how do I say this without sounding like I'm flaming you? ...

I know, it's my fault for not checking it in the first place, but I didnt tell any of this to the Honda, but just that there was noises coming out of my engine. </font>
You kind of already admitted fault here. "Kind of" is actually being nice. If I was the dealer and was reading this post I would tell you that common sense says to have preventive/routine maintenance done. You should be checking your oil even between the suggested maintenance intervals. You mentioning you're 21 is a strike against you as well, sorry but it's true, you're old enough to know better.........and old enough to go to jail.

You better pray no one emails this thread to Honda of Canada.

Add oil.......and check your timing belt to see if that's what's making the noise.

Good luck man.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Joon525 (edited April 11, 2001).]

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Joon525 for not flaming me. You're partial right. I should have told them the whole truth. Kinda stupid of me, so I'm admitting that I am wrong. What I am still going to do is call Honda Canada and see for sure. Alright, thanks!

·
User Account Disabled
5,736 Posts
I wish you the best of luck man. It must feel shi tty to be in your position
Try to diagnose the problem directly to see what was responsible for the "noises". The odds are against you, but there's a possibility that it's not as bad as it seems.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya, this is pretty ****ty. Maybe I can turn this situation into a good thing. Definitely learned my lesson, Honda service sucks and next time get a Toyota instead. Just kidding! Since my engine is going to be torn apart, I guest I should take advantage of this and add in aftermarket parts. Any suggestion?

See still smiling

1 - 20 of 68 Posts