Honda Prelude Online banner

JUN, Crower and cams galore.

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  LVSBB6 
#1 ·
Has any one istalled either cams in their lude yet?

if so,
power increase?
what stage or type?
and what year is your car?
whats the idle like?
sorry I am a little behind.

------------------
95 Prelude
Vtec
-=Everyone thinks that the 92-96 Preludes taillights are ugly, but I am sure you'll get used to them after seeing mine all the time.=-

#2 ·
#3 ·
Did you upgrade the valvesprings as well or you're using stock? Also, have you notice any problems with the rocker arms after the cams were installed??

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by coil222:
I've gotten Type S cams recently-
VERY Nice mod-nice improvements in acceleration and sound - Love them!

</font>

#4 ·
no-did not upgrade springs/valves/retainers.
Sooner later I will port and polish everything-when I go turbo.
Then I will upgrade them.
Only been on for a month, so not sure about rocker damage.
If I fvck my engine up I will try to get a JDM S engine.

------------------

That's a nice prelude-I'd pay fifty dollars for one!
http://www.hondaprelude.com/setups/setupsdsply.asp?id=10306

#5 ·
If I remember correctly, you dynoed tuned your car after your cams were installed.
What kind of settings do you have on your VAFC with the Type S cams installed?

</font>

#6 ·
Here's my Cam / VAFC settings
Cam gears:
Intake +2
Exhaust -0.5
VAFC:

VT
L -> H: 5100
H -> L: 4500

Throttle:
lo: 10%
hi: 50%

Wide Thr:
RPM LVT HVT
1000 +0
2000 -5
3000 -5
4000 -5
5000 -5 -3
5500 +0 -2
6000 -3
6500 -6
7000 -10
7500 -11
8000 -11

Nar Thr:
LVT
1000 -4
2000 -4
3000 -4
4000 -4
5000 -4
5500 -4
6000 +0

Have Fun Kiddies!

#7 ·
Thanks coil!!

#9 ·
About those cams...

Does JUN offer an ECU to match their cams? If not, is dynotuning a must? and how much gain is expected from this component?

Coil222, I'm curious to what type of ECU or dynotuning you did after you installed the Type-S cams.

Thanks guys.

#10 ·

</font>
Uhh... I'd pop off that valve cover and take a look. From what I've seen, the factory springs will coil bind with an S cam. Even with new springs, I'd still suspect rocker damage.

You sure you have a Type S cam, and not a regrind? How'd you get it over here?

G
#11 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LudesLudesLudes:
I was supposed to get my JUN cams installed this weekend, but JUN USA has delayed the official release date of the H22 cams AGAIN! ARGHHH! They are starting to really annoy me! I wan't my CAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
</font>
How surprising.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

G
#12 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LVSBB6:
Did you upgrade the valvesprings as well or you're using stock? Also, have you notice any problems with the rocker arms after the cams were installed??
</font>
You won't notice any problems until you remove the valve cover and instect the cams and rockers.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

#14 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
You won't notice any problems until you remove the valve cover and instect the cams and rockers.
</font>
I'm not AT ALL car technical...
If I pull this off, will I be opening a can or worms? Will the valve cover go back on easily?
Thanks,
Dan

------------------

#16 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smoothludey:
So what i'm hearing is that type-s cams will damage your valvetrain?

anyway, coil, how much more power did the type-s cams give you and is it safe to go FI with the type-s cams?
</font>
Not sure about the damage.
I bought these cams USED from a guy w/ a 98 base in FL.He had them in his car for 10K miles, no problems. He parted out the lude and Bought a CL Type S. I know they're not stock b/c they came in JDM honda boxes, and they WERE compared to my Base VTEC cams for an increase in lift.
Depending on the difficulty, i might take my vavle cover off to look @ wear on my next day off. Got a nice noticable gain out of the cams, I like them alot (as long as they don't ruin my motor). I don't have #'s from before, I have 178.3 hp and 141 torque now-those #'s aren't great for a car w/ my mods, but I have a HEAVY system in my car that i will not part with- i think that has some impact against my HP. I think they're safe for FI. I plan to go FI sooner or later, but I'm thinking about getting the crower stage 2 cams w/ a crower vavle train too.

------------------

[This message has been edited by coil222 (edited April 17, 2001).]

#17 ·
I have 178.3 hp and 141 torque now-those #'s aren't great for a car w/ my mods, but I have a HEAVY system in my car that i will not part with- i think that has some impact against my HP. </font>
I hope you're kidding. The weight of your car has absolutely nothing to do with a dyno. It only effects quater mile time, gas mileage, etc.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

#18 ·
I think it's your wheels that bring down the dyno numbers. Enkei Wun Guns are NICE, but they're pretty heavy I heard. Heavy weight wheels robs both horse power and torque.

Try running your next dyno with your stock rims, there might be a difference : )

I have 178.3 hp and 141 torque now-those #'s aren't great for a car w/ my mods, but I have a HEAVY system in my car that i will not part with- i think that has some impact against my HP.
</font>

#19 ·
I think it's your wheels that bring down the dyno numbers. Enkei Wun Guns are NICE, but they're pretty heavy I heard. Heavy weight wheels robs both horse power and torque.

Try running your next dyno with your stock rims, there might be a difference : )

</font>
Had stock rims on for the dyno-why do my numbers suck then? (not that my car sucks, it feels fast as hell)

------------------

#20 ·
Is yours a base or SH? SH has about 4-5 less whp then base. There can be other factors. Different dyno jet can have various results, temperature may also have some effects. Does your car need a tune-up? Burned or old plugs may decrease high end power.

Had stock rims on for the dyno-why do my numbers suck then? (not that my car sucks, it feels fast as hell)

</font>

#21 ·
Is yours a base or SH? SH has about 4-5 less whp then base. There can be other factors. Different dyno jet can have various results, temperature may also have some effects. Does your car need a tune-up? Burned or old plugs may decrease high end power.

</font>
Base, 43K 1999. It was a pretty cool day.
Still using original Plugs, I'll look into that.(thinking about doing an ignition soon anyway)

------------------

#22 ·
I am not sure if this applies to you. Speaking of plugs, I have burned my stock plugs 3 years ago when I had no idea about the settings of my previous VTEC controller. Back then there were no information on settings on Prelude available anywhere so I had tried many different settings on my Field controller, I had adjust the fuel with richness up to +20, my butt dyno told me those settings didn't work so I didn't bother afterall. To make the story short, I found out that my stock plugs were burned because I have tried too rich of the settings, it doesn't have to be much, just do a run with those settings for once or twice would be enough to wear down the plugs. The burned plugs decreased my high end power pretty much. I bought a new set of plugs afterwards and it was night and day difference.

Base, 43K 1999. It was a pretty cool day.
Still using original Plugs, I'll look into that.(thinking about doing an ignition soon anyway)

</font>

#23 ·
The burned plugs decreased my high end power pretty much. I bought a new set of plugs afterwards and it was night and day difference.

</font>
Cool, I'll give that a go.
What're some good plugs to try?
Are they hard to put in? (wouldn't think so)
Also, how hard is the valve cover to get on/off? will the cams/rockers be right there when I open it up? I want to post pics of the cams/rockers to make sure things aren't getting messed up.
Thanks
Dan

------------------

#24 ·
that's a pretty good peak HP number. expecting more than 10-15HP from bolt ons, cams, etc is pretty... optimistic.

Not sure about the damage.
I bought these cams USED from a guy w/ a 98 base in FL.He had them in his car for 10K miles, no problems. He parted out the lude and Bought a CL Type S. I know they're not stock b/c they came in JDM honda boxes, and they WERE compared to my Base VTEC cams for an increase in lift.
Depending on the difficulty, i might take my vavle cover off to look @ wear on my next day off. Got a nice noticable gain out of the cams, I like them alot (as long as they don't ruin my motor). I don't have #'s from before, I have 178.3 hp and 141 torque now-those #'s aren't great for a car w/ my mods, but I have a HEAVY system in my car that i will not part with- i think that has some impact against my HP. I think they're safe for FI. I plan to go FI sooner or later, but I'm thinking about getting the crower stage 2 cams w/ a crower vavle train too.

</font>

#25 ·
I am using HKS iridium plugs, there're really good.

Cool, I'll give that a go.
What're some good plugs to try?
Are they hard to put in? (wouldn't think so)
Also, how hard is the valve cover to get on/off? will the cams/rockers be right there when I open it up? I want to post pics of the cams/rockers to make sure things aren't getting messed up.
Thanks
Dan

</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.