Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So anybody with the kit plan to raise their RPM levels pass 7600?? perhaps 8600?? 9000? Top speed increases? 160?? Just curious.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
235 Posts
Can that be done? I thought there was no way to defeat the rev limiter?

------------------
SlntSam

2000 Base, Sebring Silver
Member - Toronto Prelude Club

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure the ECU can be reprogrammed..it's just a logical guess..

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting..didn't know that JBX. THat leads me to another question...By going to OBD1, will you be able to pass smog still with a different ECU on board??

--Sam

------------------

·
Registered
838 Posts
Passing the smog test, I'm not sure about this. I believe SunDang did this conversion. Perhaps he can comment on this.

------------------

------------------
Toronto PreLude Club

·
Registered
429 Posts
It is to dangerous for the car and to much pressure on it to have a high redline and the JRSC, all those ecu's for sale are advertised as not to be used with a supercharger.

------------------

AOL IM: Stimg4
www.streetimage.net

·
Registered
713 Posts
There are a few problems to doing that. First, no noe reprograms our 5th gen OBDII ECU as was pointed out. Not yet at least.

Raising the rev limit means you also ought to rebuild the whole head to handle the additional stress. Lightened & stronger Valves, better springs & retainers etc etc. This also does a job on your bottom end. forces are exponential down there... Especially critical if you're running any kind of forced induction.

Fuel delivery gets touchy too so you have to be sure you're not running lean.

It's not as easy as just bumping up the limit. Domestics can get away with it a little because typically they're not tuned worth sh%t from the factory.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Shift at 8000 on factory tach. My V-AFC showed 7600 the other day (7592), and i didnt hit rev limiter.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2kLuder:
Shift at 8000 on factory tach. My V-AFC showed 7600 the other day (7592), and i didnt hit rev limiter.</font>
Right where-abouts where I thought, just wanted to make sure that's normal. I had always thought it was 8K.

------------------

coil222 of the "Ricey Hot Stuntaz"

My Prelude

AIM: coil222222
Yahoo: coil222

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
If the Prelude makes peak horse power at 7000 rpm why would you care about the higer revs?
</font>
I'm thinking...where will the JRSC peak horsepower be at? Of course with the SC, you will get more torque at low rpms right? Will the SC also give more hp at higher rpms.. I'm sure my logic is flawed somewhere along the line though.

--Sam

·
Registered
309 Posts
Any one read the article on the red prelude owned by Jackson II. He said he can blow the needle on the speedometer no problem...goes like 165 mph. I don't know much about the JRSC, but all the times posted 0-60, 50-70 etc. were greatly improved....50-70 was like 1.9 sec! about half of the stock setup

------------------

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by streetweapon:
Any one read the article on the red prelude owned by Jackson II. He said he can blow the needle on the speedometer no problem...goes like 165 mph. I don't know much about the JRSC, but all the times posted 0-60, 50-70 etc. were greatly improved....50-70 was like 1.9 sec! about half of the stock setup. </font>
I thought it wasn't possible to go beyond 140mph in a Lude? Not sure of the details but someting to do with the bearing mechanism...?

[This message has been edited by andrewdelvard (edited May 05, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by streetweapon:
Any one read the article on the red prelude owned by Jackson II. He said he can blow the needle on the speedometer no problem...goes like 165 mph. I don't know much about the JRSC, but all the times posted 0-60, 50-70 etc. were greatly improved....50-70 was like 1.9 sec! about half of the stock setup

</font>
Could someone please refer me to a specific month and magazine for this article. I'd really like to get my hands ahold of it and see what was written. Thanks.

------------------

'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor
Going to replace the springs w/ a set of GC's

G

·
Revving any H22 with the stock rod ratio to 9k RPMs is NOT a good idea.

I would say maybe 8200 RPMs max. Besides, with boost, there is no need to wind the engine out that far. Really depends on where your power peak occurs. If it occurs too high, lower it some. 9k RPMs is terribly harsh on an engine, and even worse on engines with bad rod ratios.

To quote TOO - "RPM = Ruins Peoples' Motors"

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

1 - 20 of 22 Posts