Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic said he could get me a JDM LSD trany for $1100, guaranted to have 30k miles. Is this a good price?

I need to get a new one or rebuild my current on 4th gen VTEC.

Does anyone have any experience with them, any gear grinding problems after installation?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
that seems a little expensive, or maybe its just me. if you're worried about the strength of the JDM LSD, get a quaife LSD, and put it in your rebuild.

but thats just me.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't necessarily want LSD as much as I need a new trany. I was just wandering if it's a good price considering I don't have to pay for shipping and for an extra $100 he might even install it for a total $1200. If the tranny is ****ed up, I don't have to go through a hassle of shipping it back or what ever.

So is this a good deal? What would be a resonable price for a non LSD trany?

Also, I remeber someone mentioning that an aftermarket LSD is slightly havier, Honda uses a different method which makes it lighter?

·
VTEC On Ice = BAD
741 Posts
If you are in a bind, might as well take advantage of the opportunity. If its the whole JDM tranny I think it has shorter ratios for quicker acceleration, correct me if I am wrong

Instead of messing with an online retailer, and to get it from a known good source I'd probably pick it up for that much money if I needed my car back soon.

·
Registered
532 Posts
well hmotorsonline.com sells just a h22 tranny for 800 and lsd is an additional 300 so id say that 1100 is pretty normal....as for lsd just spend the extra and get the quaife...its a much better differential.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
vtecprelude said:
My mechanic said he could get me a JDM LSD trany for $1100, guaranted to have 30k miles. Is this a good price?

I need to get a new one or rebuild my current on 4th gen VTEC.

Does anyone have any experience with them, any gear grinding problems after installation?
Just buy a Quaife for $900.00... It better and has a life time warranty.

·
Super Moderator
3,008 Posts
I would rather have another tranny w/ LSD + 4th gear ratios (quicker on acceleration) than just buying an aftermarket LSD unit which will be just as expensive + more labour to open the tranny to install. Plus, you could sell your old tranny and make some of the money back for the JDM LSD tranny.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Anybody have estimates on how much it would cost to rebuild a tranny?

J

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I paid 1150 shipped. I like it. Love it compared to the 5th gen one. I know have an extra 5th gen tranny to rebuild, but peace of mind ain't cheap. Everyone around here wanted 1200 for a 2001 model. No shipping, but I hated my 2001 tranny so that was a sorry deal. 850 is cheap considering the availability was nothing when I needed a replacement.

·
Registered
298 Posts
JDM lsd is the best route to go value wise. A misconception about the JDM Prelude LSD is that it is clutch based and will burn out and you will have to replace it. Its gear type so chances are it ain't going to crap out on you unless you somehow manage to lift a wheel off the ground and land back on it while at high rpms...

In that case you need your license revoked!* :p

(*Excludes legit racing)

And as mentioned, you will still have the stock tranny and can sell that to recoup some of the costs.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
How much for a clutch rebuild, anybody?

J

·
Boston, MA
4,476 Posts
FOr a LSD change how much shouldi expect for labor i hear that they must rip apart my entire transmission for it :shrug:
lets see $800 for a lsd than $750 labor :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
99Interlude said:
FOr a LSD change how much shouldi expect for labor i hear that they must rip apart my entire transmission for it :shrug:
lets see $800 for a lsd than $750 labor :rolleyes:
Nah, I've heard from the guys who've gotten their clutches replaced that since the tranny's already out, they don't have to do TOO much more work. People have given me quotes of 5-600 dollars for everything, clutch, LSD, flywheel.

J

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
aZnLuDeR82 said:
JDM lsd is the best route to go value wise. A misconception about the JDM Prelude LSD is that it is clutch based and will burn out and you will have to replace it. Its gear type so chances are it ain't going to crap out on you unless you somehow manage to lift a wheel off the ground and land back on it while at high rpms...

In that case you need your license revoked!* :p

(*Excludes legit racing)

And as mentioned, you will still have the stock tranny and can sell that to recoup some of the costs.
Yep, also it's lighter.

My mechanic told me it would cost about the same to rebuild it, but he isn't the one doing it.

I think a few gears could be left if there aren't any damages and just replace the synchros. This would drop the cost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts