Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What speed do you guys hit in second gear? I only hit 61-62 @ 7700-7800 rpm. My little bro says he can hit 70 w/ usdm gearing. What do you guys hit?
 
G

·
I think I max out at 60, give or take, in second.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the manual states that second gear goes up to 62mph. So I figure ~65mph if your close to 8k RPM.

------------------

'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor
Trying to sell my 17" SSR's
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,621 Posts
The 4th gen VTEC trannies (US and Japan) had a closer ratio 2nd and 3rd gear than the US 5th gen transmissions (I don't know about the JDM 5th gen ratios...) If I went to just before fuel cut in 2nd in my 93 VTEC, I'd hit about what you said... 60-61 mph. In my 5th gen, I can hit like 66-67 before hitting the rev limiter in 2nd. The gearing is tighter in the 4th gens.

Andrew
 

·
www.ntpog.org
Joined
·
7,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aklucsarits:
The 4th gen VTEC trannies (US and Japan) had a closer ratio 2nd and 3rd gear than the US 5th gen transmissions (I don't know about the JDM 5th gen ratios...) If I went to just before fuel cut in 2nd in my 93 VTEC, I'd hit about what you said... 60-61 mph. In my 5th gen, I can hit like 66-67 before hitting the rev limiter in 2nd. The gearing is tighter in the 4th gens.

Andrew
</font>

is that a good thing or a bad thing?


[This message has been edited by prelude2005 (edited April 29, 2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by prelude2005:

is that a good thing or a bad thing?


[This message has been edited by prelude2005 (edited April 29, 2001).]
</font>

Depends on how much power you have. More power, better to have longer gears cause otherwise you will just be shifting every 1/2 second.


------------------

98 Black Lude
5 Speed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Anyone know what the jdm gearing is vs. the usdm gearing in the 4th gen. vtec?

Just curious? I know were to get a factory lsd type tranny (jdm) is, but it is pricey.

[This message has been edited by Luder-xhpx (edited April 29, 2001).]
 

·
used to sell mix tapes
Joined
·
5,446 Posts
actually, i'm pretty sure 3rd gear is the only one that's different. i found the ratios in a couple places, and they matched exactly except for 3rd. do a search on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,437 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
I think I max out at 60, give or take, in second.</font>


------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hopefor13:
i wanna give malken head just for the hell of it.......</font>
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,048 Posts
Both 4gs and 3gs (and obviously 5gs) are at 62mph at redline in 2nd. This is pretty much industry standard for any semi-performance car, as it's the way to get best 0-60 numbers (or 0-100km/h in Europe, which happens to be 62mph.) Note that best 0-60 doesn't mean best acceleration. For example, 2nd gen RX-7s took longer to get to 60 than a similarly powered car that had normal gearing, but they were slightly faster in the 1/4 mile. I believe those RX-7s were geared to 55mph in 2nd.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>


[This message has been edited by spite (edited April 29, 2001).]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,621 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schwett:
actually, i'm pretty sure 3rd gear is the only one that's different. i found the ratios in a couple places, and they matched exactly except for 3rd. do a search on this.</font>
I have my 1993 service manual out on loan right now, so I can't check to find out the gearing for sure... But as I recall, I think only the final drive and maybe 1st gear are the same between the 4th and 5th... (But I have been known to be wrong before...
) Also, with stock wheels/tires, the 4th gen has an additional advantage in acceleration because the tire diameter is smaller - effectively giving it a higher final drive ratio.

Stock vs stock, my 5th gen can definitely get 6-8 mph more out of 2nd gear than my 1993 VTEC could... Which means that my 1993 4th gen had tighter overall gearing than my 5th gen through 2nd which yields better acceleration numbers...

Andrew
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top