Honda Prelude Online banner

JDM FOGGIES: function or appearance?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just picked up some jdm foggies and just went out for a night testing of the lights. They dont seem to go too far, so did you guys buy it for the function or appearance? Right now, I'm not too satisfied with the lightning, but the previous owner has piaa yellow ions on it, and I'm not sure if its the age of the bulbs or if the function of the jdm fogs as a whole is just inable to light farther than I thought it would. The total distance of the fogs go probably 5-6 ft until it starts to fade away into nothing. Besides the function, I'm loving the looks, but I actually bought it hoping for a great "function," yadada?

poll it up.

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
I dunno, I've always thought of any fogs as more of a cosmetic thing to give some aggression to the car... So my vote would be for appearance.

btw, if that's your lude in your sig. Looks pretty clean. Nice job with it from the last picture you had there iirc.

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
I honestly don't think fog lights help light up the road that much more. For example, whenever I see the IS300 running down the freeway, I always see the fog lights kind of make a "spotlight" focus which falls much shorter on the road than the actual beam of the headlights. I think the only time those fogs come in handy is when they have 3 or 4 of them mounted on a truck or suv.

And, depending on the bulbs used, I'm not sure on the actual fabrication behind foglights, but if you were to point them outwards like headlights, it would seem like the foglights would spread out its focus and lose its concentration and be more so just like a big yellowish glare instead of something that could be used as a headlight. My friend mounted 2 fogs on his suv. The only difference I notice is that the fogs just add color to the area being lit up. I wouldn't get that confused with "brightness" though. It's like, either a white beam of light or a yellowish colored light. But yah, I dunno, this is coming from someone who, like I said, thinks they are just primarily for looks hehe :shrug:

and yah, about bap... I got an account on there... just doesn't have the activity to keep me goin back there like the OT section here heh.

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
Or you could have bought driving lights. These have a long range beam but not as wide as fog lights.

·
Because Raptor!
955 Posts
fog light beam pattern

driving light beam pattern

The way I've always understood it was Fog lights are for fog (duh). But they produce a wide, low, and short beam pattern so you can see the lines of the road easier. If you turned driving lights on in the fog they would illuminate the fog and make it harder for you to see.

But when there is no fog they really don't do that much for your vision other than illuminate the side of the road a little better but not enough to make a difference.

So if your drive through a lot of fog or heavy snow I would say function

If you don't than appearance

·
Banned
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
holy crap that driving light goes far. what does "driving lights" look like as far as preludes are concerned

and that foglight seems to be pretty good. mine seems to fade everywhere, not really a large "contact spot" if you know what im saying

·
Because Raptor!
955 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are no OEM driving lights for the prelude. The only thing available is just universal driving lights that you can get at auto parts stores and other places that sell accesories.

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
No OEM driving lights for the prelude. Only aftermarket. I had driving lights on my civic before. I loved how they illuminated the road.

·
Banned
1,721 Posts
how many times is this question going to be asked

·
Registered
33 Posts
also, driving lights are only meant to be used in conjunction with high beams, because they project their light further than normal low beams and can cause glare issues. I personally have the usdm fog lights and they probably almost double my light output when on because I adjusted them up slightly since I don't really need them for fog, so in conclusion USDM fogs are functional for extra light.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
j_t_heilbrun said:
driving light beam pattern

While the driving lights do illuminate very well, these should only be used in conjunction with brights. If you ran these on your car all the time, it'd be like driving with your brights on to oncoming motorists. Notice how the beam pattern is pointed so that it never seems to eventually touch the ground? That is bad, lol. The beam is in the eyes of oncoming traffic and would cause possibly dangerous glare to other motorists.

If you used these driving lights normally inconjunction with your low beams, I would suggest aiming them down so that they don't just have this continuum of upward light, that way you would get the extra illumination you want, and you want be a trouble to the other motorists on the road :)

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
^^ yeah, and where is the white light? in the center? because the ion coating doesn't produce a solid yellow, it produces like strands of yellow , white, amber colors in the cetner if you look close enough, but from far away it appears yellow. that could be what you think your seeing :shrug: or it's time for new bulbs :)

·
Banned
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well the previous owner had it for im thinking since like mid 2004. and when i looked at the bulb, it had a gasoline color with purple, blue, red, blah blah, but mostly yellow. does piaa have warranty?

·
6MT RWD
920 Posts
BLACKISWHACK said:
^The thing is that I'm kind of blind/bad vision, so I though the fog would help me overall, but I guess not.
If your eyes are bad, you might consider glasses instead of worrying about lighting.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts