Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Roar!
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and got one post but noone gave a straight answer.
To mmy disbelief my friend was telling me that the reason so many JDM engines at aprox. 30k miles are available is because in Japan they can't drive em beyond that. Can anyone verify or disprove this?

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Yes, they do. Because higher miledge engines cost more to maintain and pollute more. This is why you see so many engines coming out of Japan, and that's also why the general life of a car is less than 5 years.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
godfather16 said:
wow, i didn't know that at all, that's a good thing to know...
...even better for us JDM freaks, hahaha...

J:laugh:

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
azninside said:
^^ that's really the only good thing bout it...can you imagine if we had to do the same? I would've only had my prelude for a little over a year :( I think I had 25K in the first year :(
Hahaha :laugh: I know exactly what you mean, having made numerous round trips between Colorado Springs & SoCal.

J

·
Registered
217 Posts
i think at some point they eventually have to, because of certain code/ law. I don't know what taht point is, but my friend was explainin this to me one day. I must of been not paying attention, i do that a lot.

`knight

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Heheheh, you guys get the dumped engines. Here is Australia we get the dumped cars. Its actually an issue here if you're buying a second hand prelude. If you don't check that the stickers and placards are in Japanese, you could end up with a dumped JDM car with dodgy milage.

A friend of mine bought a 5th gen Prelude that had 4ws! Until she had an accident and had a hell of a time getting parts. Other popular cars that get dumped here are the Nissan Skyline GT-R, Supra TT and Mitsubishii EVOs. These cars don't have the same safety features as the official imports. They don't even have side intrusion bars.

If I wanted an engine, I would just but a front cut of a JDM lude. Which is basically the whole front of the car cut from the A pillar. So you get the whole front and dash.

·
Boston, MA
4,476 Posts
Interesting so you guys had the evo even b4 the U.S thought about bringing it here :bigthumb:

·
Registered
973 Posts
they can keep the car past 30K. it's just the taxes get so damn high with age and mileage that your better off buying a new car. japan says they do this for emissions, but the owner of the honda dealer we know says it's more to keep the auto industry going in japan.

anyways don't believe the, all motors have ~30K thing. they really have anywhere between 30-60k. it's luck which one you get. my motor is a 93, but judging buying it's shape and how it runs i would guess it was around ~40-45k.

·
Registered
292 Posts
also in japan, driving records follow the car. where is in the states they follow the person. so if you get into an accident in a car there, you're better off just buying a new one so that your insurance rates dont go through the roof. when people get too many tickets in a car, they just buy a new one.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I'm wondering when the nazi state governments will work to start preventing the import of JDM engines. They have no reason to, w/ the current production of the horribly inefficient & poluting SUV's that we make, but I wonder...

J

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
SLICK96 said:
I'm wondering when the nazi state governments will work to start preventing the import of JDM engines.
I don't think it's on their radar, and there's already emission laws governing engine swaps. My guess is most politicians aren't even aware that it happens. Until a special interest starts lobbying I don't forsee a ban.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
so who here has a JDM H22 in their 5th gen???

·
USAF
1,519 Posts
A problem with JDM engines is that they aren't maintained properly (usually). Think about it, if you knew you were going to get a new car in 30k miles, how would you treat it? Luckily Honda engines are so good they can take the neglect, but I personally wouldn't import a used Mitsubishi engine :laugh:

·
Roar!
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NotoriouSH said:
A problem with JDM engines is that they aren't maintained properly (usually). Think about it, if you knew you were going to get a new car in 30k miles, how would you treat it? Luckily Honda engines are so good they can take the neglect, but I personally wouldn't import a used Mitsubishi engine :laugh:
They talked about that in another thread:
http://www.preludeonline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39638&highlight=JDM+30k

marcucci said:
Japanese respect their cars about 100x more than Americans do. They couldn't concieve of mistreating them like that. It's a retarded American concept that someone would treat a lease, rental, or any vehicle for that matter, that way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts