Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WAZ up?
alright guys i need sum help now,I'm goin turbo and i need to know exactly how much everything in total it is, like turbo kit , labor , tuning, boost control , turbo timer, and the good stuff. i need to know this ASAP becuz this weekend i'm goin to NY and i need to how much flow i need to bring back to... thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
this is what i was quoted local shop houston tx. fmax turbo, tunned, w/ gauges and labor between $4500-$5500. then i e-mailed f-max and they told me that they dont make turbo for the 01 prelude. i'll wait for greddys turbo or go custom. custom i got qouted $4000.

·
Registered
76 Posts
01 Fmax turbo kits are the same as 97+ kits aren't they? Well I gotta FMAX Kit for $3,000!!!! I had a friend install it for 600 =) He tuned it and everything. Guages shouldn't be more than 100 including pod for Autometer. Turbo Timer around 75+. Boost Controller anywhere from 150..mechanical one, or 600, the new Blitz one. But most kits I've seen are going for 5,000.

·
Registered
435 Posts
i think there the same i see no diffrence. did you order direct or through a shop. thats a good idea...i'll order the kit...have someone else install it. the shop that i got the qoute from charges cRaZy labor.

exhaust on a turbo lude what size should it be? will the Tanabe racing medalion be ok. i dont want to buy the exhaust and have to change it out.

sagaprelude-you got one sick A$$ ride

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tanabe Racing Medallion is fine. It will be a lot quieter than you think though...after the turbo kit is installed atleast. When I'm boosting I can't hear exhaust at all, I have a HKS Super Dragger. All you hear is the turbo :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
daily driven, 7psi on stock motor with 60k miles. :) I'm running a F-Max kit off a 4th gen lude, custom pipings and vortech FMU instead of the MF2 unit, full ball bearing T3/T4 from Turbonetics. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm thinking about goin with a JRSC now because i'm not sure that i can afford a TURBO.. what do you guys think about this?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well, I would add to this a J&S safeguard... you don't really need a boost controller running on a stock head 7-9lbs. The standard wastegate w/spring should be plenty. I'd rather not add more electronics then I need to.

If you get a safeguard ultra v2 ($500-$550+guage [gpc.com has a good deal right now for $700 you can get a v2 and the new dual guage]) and you can won't need a BTM, and you can get rid of the lame check valve fmax supplies.

IMO when something goes wrong, $550 is cheap insurance against damaging your block or head and having all the down time.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I think I can be of some help here.

I just bought a used custom turbo kit. Here are some of the things I bought.

J&S Ultra safeguard V2- $535 + $165 for dual monitor
Walbro 255 HP in-tank fuel pump- $150
Greddy turbo timer- $100
Greddy Profec B electronic boost controller- $315
Tial 35 mm WG with 5.8 psi spring- $250
HPC extreme heat coating- $650
Jacobs ICE-PAK ignition- $375
7 series NGK spark plugs- $10
Ultra plug wires- $140

Also, gauges will cost plenty more that about $100 or so. Ones that I would definately get are...

J&S dual monitor- $165
- not only does this allow you to check your A/F, it also allows you to tune you car based on the level of det. occuring. You can continuously tune your car until you get no det. at all using this monitor, which is ideal for a turbo car

EGT gauge- $60-$250 depending on which you get
- a more accurate way of monitoring and tuning you fuel management because it tells you if you are running lean or rich.

Fuel pressure gauge- $50-$200(mech/elect)
- this one is self-explanitory

Boost gauge- $50-$250(autometer/Apex EL series)
- again, self-explanitory

Plus figure in about $50 for 2 universal dual pod holder. You can cut one into 2 single pod holders, and then line 3 up on the driver's side and one on the passengers.

I would also strongly suggest if you go with a custom kit(a better bet IMO over a shelf kit but costly and somewhat of a PITA to fit together), order a set of dual FAL electric radiator fans(for a 3rd gen integra from Summit for $315), as the stock fans are too deep, not too mention, don't cool as well. Add on another $10 for water wetter too to help keep the car cool, along with a Spoon Thermostat and Mugen radiator cap too. All small but worthwhile extras to insure safe/optimal running conditions. Also $25-$30 for 6 quarts of synthetic oil, as you will need to get it changed via install.

Almost forgot, for those that opt to "pass" on the J&S safeguard, please spend the $75 to get the missing link check valve.

So as you can see, turbo IS an expensive process. Also, if you really want to extract the most from your kit, a 3" cat-back exhaust is a good investment. However, no one makes one for the Lude.

You can do one of 2 things... buy a Tanabe RM for a RX-7 and take it to a shop to have it fit to your car OR custom make your own one. I have done some estimates on the cost of building a custom one. Either way, you will also(or should also) plan on either getting a test pipe or a 3" cat to eliminate the bottleneck effect on exhaust flow.

Figures are calculated from www.burnsstainless.com for 3" 304 SS piping...

(1) "U" bend= $68
(1) "15 degree" bend= $45
(1) "45 degree" bend= $47
7.5 ft. of straight pipe= $115

Total w/out shipping = $275

Add onto that about $150-$250 for a good SS 3" muffler(like a N1 universal or a Borla XR-1), plus another $300 or so for a 3" cat, and you are looking at $765 plus installation ~$100 or so, plus $50 for flange plates and hangers, and you are looking at about $950 all together for a job well done.

So Thermal RD if you are out there listening- MAKE A 3" SS EXHAUST FOR OUR LUDES!!!

Good luck and happy boosting! I know I can't wait!

·
Registered
50 Posts
IF YOU ARE SAYING THAT YOU ARE GOING TO GET A JRSC BECAUSE OF THE PRICE DIF. I WOULD CHECK INTO IT MORE. MY BUDDY JUST GOT ONE DONE ON HIS TEG, HE GOT THE CHARGER USED AT LOW PRICE INSTALLED IT HIMSELF ADDED A BOOST CONTROLER A FUEL PUMP AND HAD IT TUNED AND HE HAD PUT OVER $4000 IN IT. PLUS THE CARGER DOESNT GIVE THE FUN FEATURES LIKE BLOW-OFF VALVE OR INTERCOOLER LIKE A TURBO.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Spocko said:
I think I can be of some help here.

I just bought a used custom turbo kit. Here are some of the things I bought.

Walbro 255 HP in-tank fuel pump- $150

I would also strongly suggest if you go with a custom kit(a better bet IMO over a shelf kit but costly and somewhat of a PITA to fit together), order a set of dual FAL electric radiator fans(for a 3rd gen integra from Summit for $315), as the stock fans are too deep, not too mention, don't cool as well. Add on another $10 for water wetter too to help keep the car cool, along with a Spoon Thermostat and Mugen radiator cap too. All small but worthwhile extras to insure safe/optimal running conditions. Also $25-$30 for 6 quarts of synthetic oil, as you will need to get it changed via install.
Spock what made you go with walbro over the bosch pump?

Also, others who haven't bought A/M fans, you might consider getting a replacement radiator. You can get a 5th gen prelude c&r radiator w/fan for around $450-500. But I think if your just running 7-9lbs on a stock head, you could just wire on the stock fans to stay on all the time and it would keep the bay cool enough.

Yeah, it's too bad no one makes a good 3" exhaust, atleast borla offers the option of 3" inlet to 2x2 1/2" outlets so you don't have to have like a 6" tip...

The one other thing the market is missing is an oil pan with good baffling made for our car.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
r-ideal head gasket

Hey, Spocko. I think you e-mailed me about the head gasket. I unfortunately couldn't reply to it before I had to leave, and it's sitting on my home computer, so I'll reply to it here.

I didn't use the r-ideal head gasket because of general bad things I've heard about it. Larry really doesn't like them and some of the reasons him and other people give for not using them is, added Stress on auto tensioner, and you'll need to get adjustable cam gears just to put your cams back to stock timing.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Really, damn it that sucks for me, as I really would like to boost as much as possible, but can't really justify spending another $4000 on the bottom end, injectors, and ECU/DFI. Oh well, I guess since I don't even know what 8-9 psi feels like yet, I should wait and see before getting worried that it won't be fast enough. However, I do think I am going to get that exhaust custom made to help flow-out. A full 3" including cat has got to be good for at least 15 hp after the turbo is on, which in effect is about equal to another psi worth of hp.

·
Registered
554 Posts
having better flow @ 3" should also be less strain on the engine.

I think you'll be pretty damned happy with 8-9lbs if they are well tuned. It's really torqy and pulls well.

·
Registered
435 Posts
i just talked to a honda dealer near me that sells Thermal exhaust. i plan on getting turbo in july for my 01 prelude. i'm going to get the thermal exhaust that looks like our stock exhaust with the 3" pipe.

my question if i install the Thermal with the 3" pipe before the turbo is installed is it ok.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts