·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anything i need to know? and flywheel, thnx

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Yup, there sure is. Before I bought my RPS Stage 3 & fidanza flywheel, I read left and right that it normally takes about 1000 miles to fully break in an aftermarket clutch.

J

·
Boston, MA
4,476 Posts
Lets say i have a big road trip will that make up for the break in period, even though its all highway driving?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
99Interlude said:
Lets say i have a big road trip will that make up for the break in period, even though its all highway driving?
I dont think so. I think they throw out a certain number thinking that you will need to use the clutch x amount of times during that mileage. My guess is that most of it would need to be city driving to break it in.

·
Boston, MA
4,476 Posts
Ouch so lets say im on a road trip with my new clutch how fast should i stay away from, in another words no major streeching right?

like no trowing 4th gear and pushing that out to the limit.

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
Break in: No/minimal highway driving, varying RPM ranges, NO slipping of the clutch except basic 1-1500 rpm from dead stops. No high power, basicly keep it under 50% throttle, and only gradually work your way up though the RPM range. Keep it under 3500 RPM for the few hundred miles and slowly work your way up until you reach the 5-700 mile break in.

As for long trips for your break in, don't do it. You just may be pulling out your clutch again. It's strange, I've seen more CM clutches "fail" on this board than on all other boards combined. I can only guess that it's their break in.

·
Registered
548 Posts
mass to fl? 3K mi ??
u must be out west or something ...

u should prolly baby it for like 500 miles
i think a trip like that would suffice....

i mean you'll be making a lotta stops and all....

·
New Boeing Engineer
1,027 Posts
What about if you get a used clutch with 4500k+ on it? Would I need to go through the breakin procedure again?

·
On the 2nd Prelude
1,757 Posts
99Interlude said:
It should be about 3K miles each way i'll be travelling to Florida.
No highway miles. Think about it, how often do you shift once on the highway?

I the last time I got a clutch, I was told to try and avoid the highway altogether until I was done break in. so I doubt a 4000 mile trip would be high on the "To-Do" list. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Looks like somebody's got some city driving to do, hahaha...

J

·
IM CURED!
1,165 Posts
if you have a full race clutch there is no break in period but thats only if you have a full race clutch check with the company if you dont know because it could be an expensive mistake for a simple phone call, and highway miles dont count.

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
mickey99us said:
if you have a full race clutch there is no break in period but thats only if you have a full race clutch check with the company if you dont know because it could be an expensive mistake for a simple phone call, and highway miles dont count.
True if you get a full DRAG race (NO ONE has one here I assure you) where it's sole purpose is to survive 30 runs down the 1/4 mile holding 600+ whp on MT slicks... I hope that no one is dumb enough to buy one of these for attempted street use.....

·
USAF
1,519 Posts
On my ACT HDSS I didn't do anything special, I commuted with it like usual and did the occasional burnout/speed shift. The clutch feels really good, it's been about 1,000 miles so I assume it's basically broken in. You don't need to drive around the city for a week to break one in, but since clutches cost so much it probably wouldn't hurt to go easy on it.

·
Convicted GSR Rapist
1,512 Posts
The clutch itself isnt the cost i'm worried about .... its the damn effort of pulling my sh tranny out to change it.

Good looking out tho, new clutch is coming within a week or so for me.

About factory clutch, they recommend swapping it at 60-80K to prevent 'failure'. I'm at 50K and i _KNOW_ that after learning how to drive, a ****load of races, and rolling 4 deep + stereo, IN San francisco .... i'm sure its about time :)

lets not talk about when i was learning and i was on a incline similar to / and i revved it up to like 3500 and just slowly let it out.... very slowly. *waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-grrrrrrrrrrrrr* *sniff*sniff*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts