Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car got rear ended by an Escalade on Saturday night. Of course nothing happened to his car, but from the looks of it my car will need a new rear bumper, tail lights, trunk lid, rear fenders, front headlight, and maybe a new front bumper. The trunk is pushed in about 2 inches too. I`ll try to get pics soon but do you guys think it`ll be totalled? Its a 93 SI with 106k miles.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
prelude2005 said:
If repair costs are higher than the value of the car, then yes.
If the repair costs are higher than 70-80% of the car's value it'll be totalled. It depends on the insurance company, they set the actual number.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
rudeskawn said:
Why do you need a new front bumper and headlight if you were rear ended?
he probably hit the car in front of him when he got rear ended.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
U.K VTEC said:
Hmm..in the UK, if the repairs cost more than 50% market value of the car, it is written off.
wow that is a lot different. it was 80% with my insurance company.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Yeah, American insurance companies seem much more reluctant, these days, to total a car. I wrecked 2 years ago, and did seemingly minor damage to the front of my car (tacoed the hood, exhaust hole burned into bumper from car in front of me, blown out headlight, and radiator support was pushed back a little), and the estimate was over 5k!! You can buy a nice Si on E-bay for cheaper than this!!!!! I said, "Okay," and went along w/ their business...and got the whole front of my car resprayed (perfect match), the doors resprayed & dings pounded out, c/f hood, and JDM 1-piecers...not too shabby.

J

·
Registered
335 Posts
does it look like this?

Im going to say yes because this 95 vtec with less miles is obviously worth more and it was totalled. sounds like same situation as yours too. rearended by a suburban. suburban was fine. damage sounds pretty much exactly the same too, minus the stuff in the front, but the back glass broke too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no my car wasnt nearly as bad as that, the trunk got pushed in about 2 inches, but I don`t think there was any frame damage. Yeah my headlight cracked when i hit the car in front of me. I actually am prefering that my car gets totalled because i was looking to sell the car, and I know if they don`t total it, selling it will be a pain.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Does anybody know what exactly constitutes a salvage title? How much damage needs to be done to a car in order for it to earn a salvage title?

J

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
that is your car? it doest look totalled to me but what do i know...guess is about 4-5k worth of damage there but not totally sure...hope you get the decission you want out of it...best of luck

·
Roar!
665 Posts
at the shop i went to it was 4k to fix my crunched right rear panel.
Both your rear quarters are trashed along with your hood and bumper.
If you need a new front bumper too im gessin theres 9k+ in dmg there.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Deepmist said:
at the shop i went to it was 4k to fix my crunched right rear panel.
Both your rear quarters are trashed along with your hood and bumper.
If you need a new front bumper too im gessin theres 9k+ in dmg there.
If this is true...it's a goner:( :(

J

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, i cant believe it took an Escalade about 6 feet of acceleration to do that much damage to my car. We were both stopped at a light and for some reason he decides to hit me.:mad:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Imported204 said:
Wow, i cant believe it took an Escalade about 6 feet of acceleration to do that much damage to my car. We were both stopped at a light and for some reason he decides to hit me.:mad:
some people just dont like hondas. Sorry about your car, looks totaled to me.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No he didn`t do it on purpose, he says the thought he saw the car in front of me start to go and he wasnt paying attention so he just accelerated. Anyways the car was totalled today, i`m gonna miss my car but I will still be a prelude owner. I plan on getting a 5th gen.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts