Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would just like to know, for all 5th gen owners with AEM pullies, what kind of systems if any you have in the car. Currently, I run one amplifier, (50x4) with a sub. I'm not sure if its too demanding for power, or just fine. I don't want my headlights to be dimming with the bass, or my music cutting out. I would prefer the pullies gain over the music, however the system is already paid for, so I have to keep it. Anyone?

·
Registered
319 Posts
It will be NO Problem!!!!!! I am pushin 400+ watts and have no problems

·
Registered
830 Posts
Im pushin 600 watts in my amp, Im thinkin Bout getting UR pullies..should I have any problems?

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I had a Fosgate Punch 250 running mono at 410 watts, and a Punch 400 running 4x100 for a total of 810 watts. without a CAP, and I ran the AEM pullies with no probelms at all. This was also with a Alpine in dash DVD player, monitor, and other electronics. i had no problems at all. of course I could have been lucky too. But with a 50x4 amp, there will be no problems at all.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys - one more question - how about during the summertime, when i'm bumpin' the system and the air conditioning is on also - should i have a problem with power?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I am pushing a 400W mono amp and a 50x4 amp bridged to 200x2, totalling 800W, and I have 4ga wire running to these.

I also have AEM pulleys. I don't have a cap.

My headlights dim just a little when the bass hits hard, but only if I have the stereo turned up all the way.

------------------
Chris
Premium White '99 base model Prelude

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate - Street/Strip Disc
· Fidanza Flywheel
· Neuspeed Front Strut Tower Brace
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750
· Precision Power PC4400.2 powering:
· Infinity Kappa 60.2cs 6.5" Components.
· Precision Power PC1400.2 powering:
· Single Image Dynamics IDQ 12 in a custom sealed box.

[email protected]

FOR SALE

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
C'mon guys! It's not about watts here, it's about amperage that those amps draw. We have a 100amp (5th Gen) alternator and underdriving it would just lessen the power output. If you're drawing under 60 amps I wouldn't worry about it, if you're drawing more I would start to become iffy about putting them in. My car's lights used to dim before I put a 1.0 farhad cap in, so pulleys are out of the question in my mind for my application.

~Doug

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my old car (91 2.0SI), I was running a Fosgate 400A4 - at 4 ohms pushes 50*4 (rated, actually higher for Fosgate). This worked with no problem.

I then put in a sub and bridged the two rear channels to it, which upped the draw a little more, still with no problems.

The final stage, I ran the 400a4 as originally set, put in a Fosgate 250a2 bridged into the 12" sub. The "birth certificate" for the 250 had it rated at well over 400W. That's when things started getting funky, then again, I was pushing well over[b/] 600W. Lights would dim when the bass hit and I ran the battery down with the car running if I played it really loud for extended periods (over 45 min).

The bottom line is that if you're only running a 50*4 amp, don't sweat it.

As far as amps being the main concern, sure that's totally true. But putting more and/or higher powered amplifiers will draw more amperes (amps) from the system. It's been a while since physics, but I believe the relationship is:

Volts * Amps = Watts

Since most accessories, including stereos and amps are in the same volt range (12 -14V), if you have a higher Wattage, you're going to be drawing more amps off the system.

As far as the AC question, the AC shouldn't matter too much since it's mechanically driven.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The AC compressor is no problem, but the fan on full speed might be. No different than winter, though.

A lot of people with weaker alternators get a capacitor, and I would think that regardless of whether you have pulleys, it would be a good idea to have one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts