Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've never even heard of that tire. Sorry I can't help.

------------------
99 Red 5spd Prelude=AutoX
90 auto Accord sedan=DD
AIM: Jvtecsho

·
11,003 Posts
i'm currently running on Sumitomo HTR-Z sized 225/45 on stock rims.

i like them a lot. stick like mad w/ good wet traction. wear rating is on the low side @160; i've had them for about 10k miles, and half the tread is gone. that's very good considering the way i fly into corners. sidewalls are pretty stiff as well.

supposedly, they are *summer* tires... but i've had them on throught out this past winter and no problems whatsoever. in fact, IMO, they had better snow traction than the stockies, as well as the Nitto 450's i had before this set. i even went up to Vermont snowboarding and no problems.

any more questions, just ask.

------------------
------------------

OG H-A Member
1997 San Marino Red SH
~scratch here, ding there. Sigh...~
AIM: imagepree

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Good tires, they are a sister company of Dunlop. Prices are excellent for the performance you get.
I had Sumitomo HTR-Z's on my 240sx and they were excellent. Tread wear was a little fast though. Otherwise, you can't go wrong.

------------------
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

1995 Prelude VTEC w/ mods of course.
Why waste $ on a stereo? I juz' wan' speeeeeed n' looks

[This message has been edited by gills (edited April 08, 2001).]

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if I can afford to use the tires for only 18-22k miles. But the testimonials about these tires on Tire Rack were real convincing. I was specifically looking for a summer tire too though.

How would you compare the tread life of the Sumitomo to a Kuhmo Supra or stock tire?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vabeach_lude:
I don't know if I can afford to use the tires for only 18-22k miles. But the testimonials about these tires on Tire Rack were real convincing. I was specifically looking for a summer tire too though.

How would you compare the tread life of the Sumitomo to a Kuhmo Supra or stock tire?
</font>
the treadwear on the kuhmo's is either 280 or 360 i forgot...but i know it's one of the two

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I have the kumhos on my front tires. I've had them for about 6000 miles and they're worn down to the wear bar already! I called and the guy said it would be covered under warranty but i had to bring it in. I don't really beat on my car enough to wear it down that fast. I guess it was just all the crappy weather we had here over the winter. THey're supposed to have a 280 tread wear rating.

·
Registered
951 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99Prelude_LC:
I have the kumhos on my front tires. I've had them for about 6000 miles and they're worn down to the wear bar already! I called and the guy said it would be covered under warranty but i had to bring it in. I don't really beat on my car enough to wear it down that fast. I guess it was just all the crappy weather we had here over the winter. THey're supposed to have a 280 tread wear rating.</font>
If this is true you've got to have some kind of problem with your car... like toe-out or something. Either that or you're doing constant burnouts. I've never seen wear that fast without some kind of abusive (not necessarily intentional) use.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jbx:
What's the best tires out there ?
Pirelli ? Kumho ? Leave price out of this first.

</font>

Among opinions I have heard from friends and other people I know, the most satisfaction has come from Yokohamas. But that is mainly in terms of grip not treadlife.

Kuhmos don't stick that good in my opinion but some ppl say they stick better as they get worn down. I like the sidewalls on the Kuhmos though, a lot more stiff than some tires.

------------------
14.6 @ 93.6mph with I/E

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I had Sumitomo 215/45/ZR17's for about two years and put about 16000 miles on them before I sold them with my rims. They were great in all weather conditions and never gave me any problems. I'm not a very aggressive driver and when I sold them they still had about 90% tred left.

In my opinion they were excellent tires for durability and performance. I'll probably get another set when I decide to purchase new rims.

------------------
94 Prelude VTEC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts