Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
On the 2nd Prelude
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got timong & balancer belts changed, as well as teh water pump and tensioner. Is it notmal for them to be a little loud for a while? like a whine noise while they work themselves in?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don' t know, but I sure hope so.

I just got all that same stuff done, and I have a fairly loud whine too, that sounds a lot like a supercharger. No ill effects noted, though.

·
EEEWOK!!!!!
1,246 Posts
Mine made a little noise. :) Not sure how long it lasts though because I haven't driven it in so long.

·
On the 2nd Prelude
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GP.45 said:
I don' t know, but I sure hope so.

I just got all that same stuff done, and I have a fairly loud whine too, that sounds a lot like a supercharger. No ill effects noted, though.
you just described EXACTLY what mine sounds like. it quiets down at idle, but it's still there and sounds really weird when I'm just idleing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have also had the exact same noise after when swapping in a new motor and thus changing all the belts & water pump. I have been told that my timing belt is quite tight, which I assume is the issue, but it could be something else.

If I were you, I would take it back and have them check everything out (they should for free). Maybe they will find something small that is causing it and you can share with the rest of us.

Also, I have heard people say they have had the noise after the changing all the belts and it has gone away after a while. Mine is a lot louder when its cold then hot, but never completely goes away.

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
I guess since so many people heard the same thing, it must be the case. No one has said anything against it...

·
Registered
436 Posts
when i put a new one in my camry it did that (supposedly normal everyone tells me) it took about 2-3 days for it to quiet down, but when i put a new on in my prelude it didnt...erf?

·
Registered
381 Posts
if your timing belt is whining that means that it is on too tight. But only if it's whining really loudly. I'd say if it sounds like you have a supercharger, then it's probably on too tight.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I put mine on and I know its not on too tight and it still whines. Its been about a year and about 15K miles. I probably need to check on it... but its such a headach.

·
Registered
381 Posts
A correctly tightened belt should be quiet. A little whine is ok, but not supercharger whine. Such whines can also come from somewhere else, such as a bearing and whatnot in that area. Maybe when it was put back together something was not quite done right, so it just shows up after the belt change.

BTW, timing belts are suprisingly loose when tensioned correctly. I've played with enough of them that have come through the shop to know this.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I get a loud squeaky noise from the belt when starting the car up. Usually its just for a second or two but it's annoying and want it to stop..

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
LUDE'Z said:
I get a loud squeaky noise from the belt when starting the car up. Usually its just for a second or two but it's annoying and want it to stop..
i would say one of your assesory belts is a little to lose and needs to be tightened. the noise is from it slipping at start up.

·
Welsh Boy
184 Posts
silverbullit2K1 said:
I guess since so many people heard the same thing, it must be the case. No one has said anything against it...
Notch one up in the "no noise after T-belt change" column. I changed mine (along with B-belt, water pump, auto-tensioner, etc.) several months ago, and never heard a whine afterwards.

·
Welsh Boy
184 Posts
LUDE'Z said:
However, I did get this little squeak-on-startup, just for two or three days after changing the belts. The squeak itself probably lasted less than a second, just as the engine was firing up.

·
Registered
381 Posts
oh yeah,
i've changed my belt twice. The first time i put it on very tightly (it still lasted just fine for over a year) and it was pretty loud. I did it a second time at the shop, and it is practically silent now.

·
On the 2nd Prelude
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, it's not THAT loud. The first day, I had to be next to a car revving or REALLY listneing to hear it, and its much quieter now 2 days later.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts