Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was on Larry's webpage.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">quoted from www.theoldone.com
I've run several types of cams in my engine (B16A) and the only companies I really trust are Honda, Toda, and Jun. I had a pair of the initial batch of Skunk2 cams which destroyed all 24 of my rocker arms after about 2 months. I don't know of anyone personally, but there have been reports of some reliability issues with the new Crower VTEC cams.

I ran Toda Spec A's for awhile and experienced no trouble. I was told by one of the Toda resellers that Toda Spec A's are the only aftermarket cams that use Honda OEM billets. I can't verify that this is true and the Toda A's did look a little different in makeup than my Si's cams and the Type R cams. I also had no trouble with Type R cams (obviously).

Regrinds change the base circle of the cam which (I think) is the main problem with them.

Sorry I can't directly answer your question, but I can tell you this:

Don't skimp on cams! Bad cams can do a horrific amount of damage to your engine. Not only were my rocker arms destroyed, but the cam bearing journals were excessively worn. I can only hope that my oil filter caught most of that metal that was floating around.

Sonny

</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also from www.theoldone.com, by eg/b18c
I've also heard quite a few Crower cam horror stories; however, i have only spoken to one person (online) about their camshafts breaking. This person, claims he properly broke them in and ran the Crower springs and retainers.

This brings up another question. Could the valvetrain be at fault? I have now seen two testimonies that have proven their Toda and Jun cams have snapped as a result of coil bind on their Crower springs. Also, it might not be wise to break these cams in with such stiff springs. Maybe someone could fill me in a bit more on this subject.....

I currnently run 63402s cams in my "poormans" b18c and have experienced NO problems whatsoever. I use ITR outters and Portflow inners/ titanium retainers. After 4 thousand miles, the cams were removed and mic'd for wear. After incurring no problems, i reinstalled them and they have reached the 8 thousand mile mark w/o problems. These cams have been buzzed to 9,000 rpms over 100 times.

</font>
Interesting indeed. I am curious to see how these Crower cams and valve springs work out. They look good on paper, at least.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

[This message has been edited by 71dsp (edited April 13, 2001).]

·
another SS->5spd!
1,373 Posts
Interesting post....

Should I keep my Type S or get the Crowers? Any opinions?

97 SS

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
well after talking with Brian Crower on the phone, i changed my order to the stage 1 cams. He said the stage 2 should be fine with the stock springs/retainers. but there could be a chance that i got valve float or sumthing and drop the valve into the piston. Because the lift on the exhaust cam was pretty big. I tried to follow along as best as possible. He said that the stage 1 would have NO problem with the stock springs/retainers. What was also interesting was that when they tested the JDM Type-s cams he said the scoring they found was due to the fact that the cam was not riding directly on the rocker arm "pad" so to speak. This is just what he told me, or what i got from what he was saying (im no expert).

------------------

99 Pearlwhite Sportshift
15.45 @ 92.37

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
my friend just went from type s to stock cams. The type s cams had some marks on them, i don't know if you can call this scoring...they were silver in color, whereas the rest of the camshaft was dark. the shop that did the work claims that the rocker arms were fine. his car had them for 8000 miles.

Tim

p.s. the cams are about to be sold and i can go take pictures if you want to see the silver markings on the cams.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pure Lude:
my friend just went from type s to stock cams. The type s cams had some marks on them, i don't know if you can call this scoring...they were silver in color, whereas the rest of the camshaft was dark. the shop that did the work claims that the rocker arms were fine. his car had them for 8000 miles.

Tim

p.s. the cams are about to be sold and i can go take pictures if you want to see the silver markings on the cams.
</font>
Are the cams still smooth? Are the scratches deep enough to catch a finger nail? Even the stock cams loose their coating on the lobes of the cams.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
another SS->5spd!
1,373 Posts
Did your friend upgrade the valvetrain as well when using the Type S cams?

no, they are smooth like the rest of the cams. can't catch a nail in em.</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no, they are smooth like the rest of the cams. can't catch a nail in em.</font>
Then they are fine. Wearing off the finish is normal. Look at used stock cams, they will look the same.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

1 - 10 of 10 Posts