Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys I really need some help!!! I'm installing indiglo gauges and I took off the needles and took the stock faces away and put the indiglo faces on, now the needles are crazy!! when I turn the ignition switch to On, the RPM is at 2K, MPH is 20MPH, and the temp is all the way up to the higest, fuel gauge doesnt move at all.... How can I adjust it back to normal?? COME ON SOMEONE MUST HELP ME OUT!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!! OH I got a 5th gen lude 5speed!

------------------
-- No Tune, No Life --
Michael Li
-- 1997 Prelude 5spd--

[This message has been edited by mike2016 (edited April 20, 2001).]

·
Registered
327 Posts
I really don't know a nice way to put this... you're screwed. You're not supposed to take the needles off for that very reason. Maybe the dealer can recalibrate it for you (maybe) but it's not gonna be cheap. My friend messed his up and just went to a junkyard and bought the gauges off a wrecked prelude. Probably should have gotten better instructions.

Daniel

grnlude97

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
dude... shouldnt have pulled the needles off...

good luck fixing it

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
yep! Might as well start bending over now!

------------------
"drive fast, be yorself, and party till she's cute!

Originally posted by some canadian guy:
Like I said, Road trip - baseball bat

Originally posted by malken00:
Everyone has their own opinion, even if they're wrong.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! There's no way to adjust it??? I tried to adjust it for hours, I'm still working on it now, the RPM and temp seems fine now, but for sure it's not as accurate as before, I have to drive around to test the speedometer.... and the fuel light, does it come on as the fuel needle drop to the bottom?? or it has its own sensor or some stuff?? I don't wanna run out of fuel on freeway....... thanks a lot guys...

------------------
-- No Tune, No Life --
Michael Li
-- 1997 Prelude 5spd--

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Aww man..i feel sorry for you..isn't it like 250 bucks or so to recalibrate the needles? aww man..always ask before you do something to the car..just in case.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it came with only the gauge faces and wires. I was trying to slip the faces in without taking the needles off, but it was too tight, i got pissed so i take everything off..... AAAHHHH!!

------------------
-- No Tune, No Life --
Michael Li
-- 1997 Prelude 5spd--

·
retired
7,431 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mike2016:
No, it came with only the gauge faces and wires. I was trying to slip the faces in without taking the needles off, but it was too tight, i got pissed so i take everything off..... AAAHHHH!!

</font>

·
Registered
154 Posts
A friend of mine did that.

Make sure you're gauges actually still function. Rev the car and make sure the rpms are moving smoothly. Same thing with speedo. Take a short drive and make sure the needle moves smoothly. As long as those are still moving, you didn't jack the gauges, just the calibration.

Take off the needles (WITH THE CAR OFF) and replace them at a different angle. Keep testing it until you're rpms look right. As for speedo, same deal.

I let my friend borrow my V-AFC to calibrate his rpms. Then we did side by side driving to calibrate the speedo. It worked pretty well. He took it to a 'friendly' dealer later to get the speedo re-calibrated though.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
interesting - how did you get the needles off? when i put my NR whites on, the instruction were pretty clear that you were supposed to slide the gauges around/over the needles. i got pissed off too and tried for about 10 seconds to pull the needles off. they didn't seem like they were gonna come off without breaking something!

·
Registered
65 Posts
=(
i'm sorry to hear that...
well i have an accord.

when i installed my indiglo's... i didn't take off the needles. but i also did a lot of research before i even bought them.

i say that you make a quick trip to the junkyard and get a new gauge cluster...

------------------
2001 Mystic Silver Accord VP
Hiper Ind. hi/lo beams
indiglo gauges
self-cleared rears

AIM: FrostThin2

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
btw, for the gas needle, put it back when your tank is FULL! the light comes on way before the needles hits the bottom.

as for the tach... try revving it till you hit the rev limiter, then stick the needle in pointing at 7500

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. I just put the dash back together & brought it to the dealer & told them that my gauges are all fuc'd up... they replaced the whole cluster under warranty!!! hehe... gotta try 'n get away w/ what u can!!!

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Hahaha..so how are you gonna fix it? well.. I'm sorry still...just stare at my signature for a few minutes...it might help you because of it's tranquil strobing effect. Hahaha..

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
your F'ed dude...i did that once on my 4th Gen and dealer was gonna charge me 800 for a new one, so i went to the juck yard and got a whole new one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts