Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And in the end my air/fuel ratio meter didn't work anymore......got a check engine light too, but the car doesn't feel sluggish. I might not have VTEC but I'm not sure. I'm going to check my connections again either tonight or tomorrow, I'd do it now but I am tired as all hell. I'm going to go look for the instructions on how to get the code out of the car but in the meantime if anyone remembers feel free to just let me know.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

[This message has been edited by Joon525 (edited April 29, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone know where in the Helm it tells you how to get codes? This thing needs an freakin index.

------------------

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

G

·
Look in the fuel delivery section. It should have a list of ECU codes.

What code are you getting?

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
Look in the fuel delivery section. It should have a list of ECU codes.

What code are you getting?

</font>
I can't even find the section that would tell me how to figure out which code it is.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yeah joon, that was a great site it had pics and everything. What you do is access the diagnostic terminal on the lower passenger side of the center console...your helm should show where it is. anyway, when you pull off the flap you will find a piece of blue plastic, which is a holder for the purple diagnostic access terminal. Upon observation you will notice if you depress a small tab you can pull the purple terminal from the blue holder. Now take a small wire about 2-3 inches or less and short the terminal by connecting the 2 holes with the wire. You do all this btw with no key in the ignition and the motor off. Once you've got the wire in place turn the power on and the check engine light should blink. First the long flashes followed by short ones. the ratio of long to short will give you the code...i.e. 6 long 1 short is a code of 61. Then just look up the code in the helm. I got a 61 last time i checked which is a faulty primary O2 sensor, which i had replaced under warranty. The service manager was impressed that i pinpointed the problem correctly....good luck and let us know what the code is.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah malken00 told me how to do this....I just did it and I think I got an 11. I'm going to try it again. I can't figure out why my a/f meter doesn't work anymore.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I got either a 1 or an 11. 1 quick flash with abotu 2.5 seconds inbetween flashes...I'm going to go look for the code in the Helm but if anyone knows this off the top of their heads please tell me what it is.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malken00:
Check the wiring before going to replace stuff.. </font>
I'm going to totally disconnect my air/fuel ratio meter first.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh on a related note.......how easy is it to short out a PH02 sensor? Are those things REALLY sensitive? Also might there be a chance that my ECU got messed up in the process?

------------------

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Joon525 (edited April 29, 2001).]

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
smoothludey: wow, i never knew about that. thats pretty smart man

as for my experience with A/F guage with the V-AFC:

i got my V-afc before my a/f guage. i couldnt get my a/f guage to work when i tapped it into the o2 sensor wire in the ecu. plus doing that somehow messed around with the cars codes. when i took the guage off, my engien light was on. i was running very lean? with white exhaust fumes. so i took it to the shop and had them install it. the hooked it up to the sensor under the hood, not the ecu. after that he got some machine that pluged into my cig lighter and fixed my codes which eliminated the check engine light. so yea, that was my experience with the a/f and vafc.

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
POWER OF THE SS BABY!
SS= Super Snail!!
There i go...
screen name: CBFORMULA

·
retired
7,431 Posts
hmm.. has ANYone ever installed a vafc with no problems? im thinking of this as my next mod.. but i don't want to run into any problems

------------------
My Car

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
V-afc install is not as easy as some peeps make it out to be...it's alot of electrical work, which is especially taxing cuz it's the ecm meaning you could potentially fvck up your car. If you trust yourself and are good with wires, I say go for it. The improved performance is significant.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SADWAP97:
hmm.. has ANYone ever installed a vafc with no problems? im thinking of this as my next mod.. but i don't want to run into any problems

</font>
I don't know. I'm NOT sure that the VAFC installation caused me to get my "1" engine code. I think I may have crimped a wire in the ECU area when I put the car back together. I mean I guess the VAFC could have triggered it but I'm kinda doubtful to that. I'm NOT in limp mode by the way. I still have VTEC and the car accelerates fine. I'm just wondering if it's the ECU that's the problem or if it's the 02 sensor. On page 11-46 of the Helm it tells me that "1" means there's an open or a short in the 02 circuit and that the probable cause is either the 02 sensor, fuel supply system or the ECM. I'm hoping it's not the ECM.
*let a minute pass*
Actually.......if it IS the fuel supply system maybe it IS the VAFC? I'm going to have to check everything again when I get home from work. I don't know how easy it is to fry a ECM or 02 sensor but I hope it's just the 02 sensor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts