Honda Prelude Online banner

installation instructions for GC CO? (71DSP anyone?)

870 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  BlueShadow 
#1 ·
i'm getting ready to buy some Ground Controls with spring rates of 400front and 300rear. first shouldn't the rear be stiffer than the front? so that wieght transfer is kept to a minimum?
the car doesn't see a lot of autox but i will drag it everyso often. but i want a car that is responsive on the road. with that aside i have some questions on installs.

i did a search and 71DSP referred sombody to
http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-springs/fifth-springs.shtml but that is for a spring install. would a coilover install be similar? i have access to a lift compressor and tools but i just need a good set of instructions. would the NTPOG instr. work ok?

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion

#3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2kLuder:
Spring Install is pretty similar. The Coil Overs come with good directions, i did my own. Just have a buddy or two help out, and have a spring compressor</font>
so they do come with instructions? are they pretty detailed? are there any special steps required for CO's? did you end up with any problems with the install itself? (stubborn bolts difficult to remove parts etc)

#5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2kLuder:
No, i dont recall any problems. It was pretty straight forward. Just set a night aside for it, or day. It took like 3-4 hours for two unexperienced 19 year olds. ;-)
You can do eeeet.
</font>
YAA I CAN DU EET!
but just in case i don't have the time to install them myself, i posted a thread about the shop i'm buying them from.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion

G
#8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BlueShadow:
i'm getting ready to buy some Ground Controls with spring rates of 400front and 300rear. first shouldn't the rear be stiffer than the front? so that wieght transfer is kept to a minimum?
the car doesn't see a lot of autox but i will drag it everyso often. but i want a car that is responsive on the road. with that aside i have some questions on installs.

i did a search and 71DSP referred sombody to
http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-springs/fifth-springs.shtml but that is for a spring install. would a coilover install be similar? i have access to a lift compressor and tools but i just need a good set of instructions. would the NTPOG instr. work ok?
</font>
Install is the same as what's on our webpage. 400 front and 300 rear should work fine if you don't plan to road race or autocross. If you want to drag race, you can stiffen up the rear springs if you like.

What kind of dampers are you going to use. 400 front and 300 rear WILL NOT WORK with the stock dampers. Those rates are over double that of stock. If you put those on stock dampers your ride and performance will suck, big time.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

#9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
-snip- If you want to drag race, you can stiffen up the rear springs if you like.
-snip-
</font>
As a side note, you *should* be able to put the 400's in back and the 300's in front if you plan to only drag race, though this will make your car a little squirrelly on the road.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

What kind of dampers are you going to use. 400 front and 300 rear WILL NOT WORK with the stock dampers. Those rates are over double that of stock. If you put those on stock dampers your ride and performance will suck, big time.
</font>
Much agreed. I will also go so far as to say that even garden-variety aftermarket struts won't work very well- you really need an adjustable strut you can stiffen like the Koni, tokico Illuminas, or KYB AGX. It's a *lot* of money to spend, but honestly, the only way to do it right and make sure you don't hamper ride and performance.

#10 ·
i might reconsider getting those spring rates. i might just get the regular Ground Controls (no custom rates) would anyone know what they are? i called GC but i was put on hold for almost 10 minutes. and also what SHOCKS do you guys recommend? i'm leaning towards the KONI but which ones do i get? red? yellow? black? pink?

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion

G
#13 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BlueShadow:
i might reconsider getting those spring rates. i might just get the regular Ground Controls (no custom rates) would anyone know what they are? i called GC but i was put on hold for almost 10 minutes. and also what SHOCKS do you guys recommend? i'm leaning towards the KONI but which ones do i get? red? yellow? black? pink?
</font>
I don't believe there are any "regular" Ground Control kits. They all use Eibach ERS springs (or GC's custom spring rates), so you just choose the spring rates that you want to use.

Koni only makes one set of dampers for the 5Gen; yellows.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

#14 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
I don't believe there are any "regular" Ground Control kits. They all use Eibach ERS springs (or GC's custom spring rates), so you just choose the spring rates that you want to use.

Koni only makes one set of dampers for the 5Gen; yellows.

</font>
hmmm.... what about for when you just go into a shop and get the GC's without specifying the spring rates? do they just give you a random rate ar one that would be considered a tame or conservative spring rate? would i just be better of specifying what i want? cause i want a ride quality that is stock (who wouldn't) and a more responsive car.
and 71DSP i remember you saying that what i had in mind )400f 300r) would be to stiff for stock shocks, which i will run on for only a couple of months and dropped about 1-1.5 from stock height.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.