Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swapped out this shredding tire for a new stock 5th Gen Prelude tire. I don't want to pay another 120$ for a tire again. I installed the GC's & Koni Yellows bout a month ago, and the tire just shredded. All my other tires are fine.

So far I checked the Ground Controls and the threads were uneven in height compared to the front left and front right. That may of caused it.

People keep saying to get an alignment, but i have 1 finger gap all around, it's not low at all.

BTW, how much has all of your alignments been?? Should I get one??? I haven't bent a control arms cuz I know i haven't hit a curb at all, just potholes....

thanks guys, peace.

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
Get an alignment.
Alignment doesn't change your height. Changing your height changes your alignment.

If you'd have just sprung for the alignment, you would have saved yourself $120 or whatever on the new tire.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Agreed. Count the threads and be sure you are even left-to-right, then take the car in for an alignment. Doing suspension work on our car can *seriously* throw off the toe. Don't think b/c it doesn't pull there might not be an alignment problem, you can still be WAY off and have the right thrust angle. Your tire wear was likley cause because of this. Also keep in mind that w/o a camber kit, more than .75" of drop induces enough negative camber to create uneven wear on the inside edge of the tire.

Also don't think b/c you haven't checked a curb at 30mph you haven't bent anything. Potholes can be just as bad.

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
Also don't think b/c you haven't checked a curb at 30mph you haven't bent anything. Potholes can be just as bad. </font>
Well, with that said... I probably have 4 bent control arms. The potholes out here are ridiculous.

And just to keep this from being a lame, non-imformative post...

Has anyone ever heard of any companies that currently make aftermarket control arms?

-e-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Unless you really creamed the suspension the control arms are probably fine (Pittsburgh-pothole heaven itself). You need camber kits for any drop that you want to compensate. I'll agree that the work will throw the toe-in off. My favorite kits are from Ingalls (rear) and Specialty Products (front). If you are more than 1.5" down in front look at the kits from Northstar too.
Ingalls and Specialty have kits for the Base ONLY, including models for extreme drops.

As others here have said-anytime you change the settings-you need to realign. Fingers or tape measures only tell you ride height.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts