Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the few of you that know I was forced to sell my 94 Vtec. After taking about 4-5 months to locate the perfect one...and i mean the PERFECT one...low miles, exact year, stock, excellent condition. Another example of how picky I am is the exact year: it couldn't be a 93 because of the interior but couldn't be a 96' because of the Obd2. Neways sorry bout my rambling just kinda heart broken.. Neways I might have found another but unfortunately I had to forget bout all my standards, This one is a Vtec but a 96', and High Milage, the engine is stock..My question is will i have any problems with my engine if i start modding and take it to the track. I do plan to add cams etc. But what are the essentials that need to be replaced/upgraded in order for it to perform as if there were hardly any miles on it. ALSO is there any way to elminate/bypass obd2. Or my other choices buy this car but place a 94-95 vtec...even though I am not suppose to. Or buy an Si and upgrade with vtec options and a 95-95 vtec engine. Sorry for the long ass post.. ANY information would be greatly apperciated.

~SpeedCrazie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the 96' vtec I located is in Cali and has about 130,000mi. I know that is 4 times as much as my past prelude but thats why i posted this thread. So does it matter and what should i do....

~SpeedCrazie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can anyone Help....I'm thinkin bout makin a purcahse very soon and would like to get some feed back. Thanks....

~SpeedCrazie

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
my car has 110,000 miles and it runs great, it depends on how you take care of it, you also you need to take it to honda dealer and have them do a full tune/check up. And they will tell you what you need to do to keep your car running great.

hope that helps

·
Registered
309 Posts
Damn... I have a 92 Celica with around 90k miles and I thought that was a lot... The owner must have done a lot of highway driving.

I guess it depends on how long you want to keep the car... If you only want it for a couple more years, you might want to give it a shot. If you're planning on keeping it, though, i'd look for one with less mileage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah this car has bout 4 times the amount my 94 vtec had. It took me forever to find my last lude, but was foreced to sell because of the high payments. I found this lude in cali which has obd 2 (99.9% positive)correct me if i'm wrong... but all miles are from freeway driving....and the car is 5,000... but i might be able to get it lower.... I do plan to kepp this car for a while. and any lude i purchase will go through honda and be checked out. But otherwise do miles matter if i replace the parts needed to be replaced?

So wut does everyone think?, buy this car and replace/upgrade worn parts then start modding. 2) Buy this car but replace it with a 94-95 Vtec low miles (even though I'm not suppose to) or buy an Si and do an engine swap)

Thanks Agian...

~SpeedCrazie

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I had an 87 Lude. Put 310,000 miles on the engine before buying my 5th. Engine had never been apart. It still ran fine after all that mileage and burned a quart of oil between oil changes. I think the engine could have gone further too but the cars floor and frame was rusted out making it unsafe to drive.

·
Registered
416 Posts
yeap, that's a bargain for 5K..take it man.

You'd be hard pressed to find a 4th gen vtec lude with around 100k miles for below 8-9k, even with a lotta abuse in the socal area.

Make sure it ain't got a salvaged title, altho at that price, it just may. And if it does, make sure you find out why it has the title.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'll sell my 94SI with h22a1/p13 ecu/vtec trans/act clutch/new paint, fully taken care of with 65k on the motor/trans, 130 on the car for 11ish

heh that isn't gonna happen huh

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
You have nothing to worry about. With any used car, no matter how many miles, it's always a crapshoot as to how the previous owner treated it. Whether 130k or 30k you could have bad rings or bearings due to driving & maintenence.

If the body is good, interior good, and it runs good, chances are it was well taken care of. Given that info, there's no reason to start modding it or racing it. I'd suggest flushing all fluids and doing all maintenence on it (tune up, etc.) and getting it to "zero." Keep an agressive maintenence schedule if you race (15k tuneup, 30k flush EVERYTHING) and you should be fine.

I beat the living piss out of my '89 with 155k miles on it. Ran great, never let me down.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Guys...Yeah i finally got an e-mail with all the details. 1 owner since 96', daily driven (obviously) all freeway miles. From what he tells me just the usual rock chips, dings and liltle dents. otherwise really good. Interior is in good condition except for the drivers seat that a seam just needs to be restiched. he did replace the hood and winshield because of a piece of tire that hit it, and i got the vin and will run a check sometime today or tommorow. With any car I purchase I will do a tune up and have everything checked on.

I am seriously looking into this car and am on the border of buying it. I know the engine can take the miles and was takin care of but with such high miles i just wonder if it can handle the mods and the weekend racing.

So what I'm getting from you guys is to just get this car. Would anyone recomend purchasing a si and doing a vtec engine swap? Or even buying this car and replacing it with a (94-95) vtec engine so I can defeat the obd2.Is there any other way to get rid of the obd2.Otherwise should Ijust buy this car and tune it to zero and build it up???

Also is there anything that i haven't thought of that I should ask the owner? I mean he has had the car since 96'

And to overdoes: lol...na aint gonna happen...i wish..Howa bout this you can compete with this other buyer and if you get down to 6,000 you got a deal...Lol yeah right.

I miss my old vtec soooo bad..I took so much work just ot locate it...It was PERFECT... but I guess I'll do anything to feel the power of lude agian even if it means forgeting bout some of my standards..

Oh....and if anyone know if a lude being sold give me a holla.. (4gen ludes only)

~SpeedCrazie

·
Registered
943 Posts
buy the car, thats a killer price. Then have the engine rebuilt with new internals, maybe even some performance pistons, cams , etc

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
anyone else have any advice I just want to hear everyone has to say before i make a purchase. (read post two post up)

Thanks...

~SpeedCrazie

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
If there is nothing wrong with the car $5K is nothing!!!

You'd better jump on it.

What kind of condition the car is in depends on how well the car was maintained. Did they keep records?

If the oil has been changed on time and the services done then it should be a steal!!

If that car was here I would buy it just because of the price. I would park the Prelude I have now except for weekend and fun, and this one would become my daily driver..

Or I would sell it and make a profit!!

BTW my Prelude has 176K miles, but if you didn't know that you would think it had about half that.

Check for oil leaks and if theres nothing serious you should jump on it quick!!!!!!

------------------
Warren

93 Prelude VTEC N/A (lots of mods) [email protected]

00 Honda Accord SE (stock)

[This message has been edited by VeeTec (edited April 23, 2001).]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts