Honda Prelude Online banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So, I went to try starting my car because I figured 'what trouble is it to try again?' and it fired right up. I have absolutely no idea why or how, but I'm not asking questions at this point, just glad to have my car running again :D. I really appreciate all the help, first step for me now is to get a copy...or 20 made right away.

·
( o.O )
2,802 Posts
So, I went to try starting my car because I figured 'what trouble is it to try again?' and it fired right up. I have absolutely no idea why or how, but I'm not asking questions at this point, just glad to have my car running again :D. I really appreciate all the help, first step for me now is to get a copy...or 20 made right away.
now you have to find a place that can make a good copy. The ones i got from my locksmith only start the car 50% of the time. don't know if the blanks they use have weak chips or what.

Someone on here has said if you cut a blank t5 to be the right cut and try to start the car with it, it programs the key. I haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
A T5 key does not require it to be programmed because it is a clone of the master key. The master key is already programmed to the car so this is why the T5 does not require programming.

·
( o.O )
2,802 Posts
A T5 key does not require it to be programmed because it is a clone of the master key. The master key is already programmed to the car so this is why the T5 does not require programming.
i didn't mean programming as in reseting ecu, i ment programming as in burning the program from the master. you can just cut it and then turn the car on with it, no burning required. unless that's what you mean to.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
One dealership seemed confused on how to cut the key. They stated I would need the master key, learner key and the car in for them to work on; estimating $28 for a key and $75 to program it. A second one I talked to said it's $28 and they only need the master key (also the guy I talked to seemed far more confident in what he had to do). So I'm going to go with the second option on Monday, as long as anyone who's helped me this far may have past experiences or general knowledge about cutting a spare key.

·
( o.O )
2,802 Posts
I think you can get a t5 key and get it cut anywhere. trying to use it will burn the ignition code on it. otherwise honda 2 sounds like the winner.

i need new keys because the ones the locksmith made only work half the time and leave me stranded, but there is no where else for me to go.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would just go the dealer that has the ilco key coder and use the oem ilco t5 key. Youll just hand them your master key so they can copy the code to the t5 key.

The t5 key doesnt burn itself once you use it. The key is burned and then you use it

·
Registered
Honda
2 Posts
Buying key from first hand dealer is allways very expensive. But auto key masters can handle this issue more cheaoer. Good luck.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts