Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've already researched this problem and found some older threads, but I haven't found a conclusive answer. The problem I'm at right now is that while I was away at college, my dad seems to have lost or tossed away my only remaining key (I know, my bad for not having a copy). I only have the red valet key, which I've been told will not make a difference in cutting a new key to start the car. I would rather not pay the $385 the stealership quoted for a new immobilizer (plus the cost of installation, cutting new keys and reprogramming), so my thinking is buying the immobilizer unit and master/valet keys off a partout 5th gen and then reprogramming that unit to my car. My question is does anyone know 100% that this will start my car again? I know I very well may have to still go to Honda for them to reprogram the immobilizer, but I just don't want to bite the bullet and shell out the money for a new immobilizer. Also (a long shot, I know), would a 'reflash' service offered by some locksmiths work in this situation, or is that a road I should not even think about going down? Any help would be much appreciated, I just wanna drive my car again!

·
Registered
84 Posts
The red key is not a valet key. That key is for reprograming a new cut key and as long as you have the red key you should be able to go to honda buy a key and have it programed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
No hes missing a p5m ecu and most likely the transponder pickup ring that is built in around the ign key hole. He would need to get those. Sounds like OP doesnt want to correct it though and wants some one to explain how to rewire the car without the immobilizer i guess. Without the stock ecu its already useless

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oh I see. Well if that is the case he might not have any choice but to get the parts from Honda.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ehh yeah that would be an option. I would try to hit up those doing part outs and see if someone will sell the entire immob setup with paired keys.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Option number 2 :bigthumb:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, that was my mistake on the red key (*learner key). I'm sure at this point I will have to get a new immobilizer. My only question right now is would there be any possibility of Honda not being able to reprogram a 'part-out' immobilizer (with master and learner keys for that immobilizer)? The guys I spoke to at the local dealerships seem to think that may work, but they also told me initially they could cut a new key than changed that mindset...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here is what you do, go to a locksmith and get them to cut the key. I work at a locksmith and we can cut and program a new key to your car for $120. Usually it would be $65 but you don't have any existing copies. You cut a duplicate off the red key and program it with a JMTPX3 chip key. problem solved.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a locksmith come out and try to get that working but they apparently couldn't cut a key that was able to start the car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
....The red key you have functions in the doors and ignition. Don't use it in the ignition though. You cut the duplicate off the red key, hook a programmer up to the car and your done. You need to find a better locksmith. Like one that advertises the ability to cut and program car keys. For the hell of it I tried doing this off my red key and a programmer, it worked when I did it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate all the advice guys, I actually found my key wrapped up in a hoodie in our garage. But this brings me to another monumental problem, I'm assuming one of my parents attempted to start my car with the red key (they tried moving it while I was away and they assumed that would be fine) and I know that's a major issue. Is there any way to solve this without getting a new immobilizer and ecu like the dealership says I need to do?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Okay so I am assuming the immobilizer worked exactly as it was designed prior to using the red key. The back key that you have. Check on the shank if it has "T5" stamped into it. The T5 would indicate that the key is a copy of the master key. If there is no T5 stamp then you have a master key. If you only have a copy of the master key, stamped with T5, then dont be surprised when they say you need to buy a new master key from them first.

Take your master key and red LEARN key to the dealer. Explain the red key was used and that you need them to simply reprogram the immobilzer with your currently coded master key. You simply need the master keys code programmed back into the immobilizer so that it recognizes the key that you have so that you can drive your car.

No need to get new keys cut or a new immobilizer setup.

So right now youd have to get your car towed to the dealer so that they can program the immobilizer with your key. Just in case, contact the dealer you intend to use prior to towing the car. Verify that they arent going to give you the run around about buying a new immobilzer setup. They should have the honda programmer. If they give you the run around then go to a different dealer that is informed on something they are supposed to know. Every dealer is supposed to have the immobilizer programmer box and password required to use it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, everything was working fine when I stored it for the winter. There is no stamping on the black key, so I assume that's the original master key. I tried getting everything straight with the two nearest dealerships (explained that I have a master and learner key, I was told a reprogramming was possible, etc, etc) and they were adamant that the only way around this was to replace the immobilizer and possibly the ecu because in their words, 'the red learner key likely fried both when used to try starting the car'. I stayed firm that I heard of people that have had it reprogrammed and everyone I spoke with were certain there was no way around it. I was able to get the brake code from one technician, would that be able to start the car with my current problem to get it to a dealership (I don't want to take a chance and start it to see because I heard you only have a limited number of times you can use this method to start the car)? Also, does anyone know how many times you can start a 5th gen Prelude with the brake code method? Again, I appreciate more than you know all your guys' help. The dealerships around me know far less than anyone helping me on here, are far and away less understanding and this is completely uncharted problematic water for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I work for Acura and all programing is done through the HDS system. The Acura NSX uses the same imobilizer as the Prelude except on the newer ones 03-05 . I do not know the number of times you can use the brake code to start the car. Like Hatedenemy said make sure the dealer does not try to sell you the new unit unless you are sure you smoked the old one.

·
Registered
350 Posts
First of all the red learn key does not and can not fry anything. Thats ridic...

You need nothing at this point. You just need the immob to be rewritten for your keys. That is it. No parts nothing..

On the topic of brake code start ect. This is how it works. You need a key blank. Essentially you have one so you can turn the ign on. You can call honda and provide your VIN so they can lookup and provide the brake code drive procedure. This type of bypass will work until the engine is shut off and ten minutes elapse there after you need to use the brake code again. The problem is theyll only give it to you if you are needing it to drive to the dealer for repair.

The other method is with the honda pgm tester which requires you to be at the dealer already. But anyway, the pgm tester method for bypass will allow the key to be used 50 times before it stops working because it is not a fix its a temp work around. The only method youd use is the brake code method so keep that in mind. This is just an FYI so everyone knows now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for clearing that up. Hopefully call up a few other local dealerships (running out of ones I can call) and pray one of them doesn't try selling me on new parts.

·
( o.O )
2,802 Posts
have you tried starting it with the black key after all this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup, I get all red warning lights on the cluster coming on when I go to Accessories and nothing when trying to start it up.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Are you explaining that the red the key was used? Just that alone should simply have them understand the car just needs your key reassociated with the immobilizer system.

Unless I am not aware of the full situation that you have then all you need is the key programmed back to the car

·
( o.O )
2,802 Posts
not all dealers program keys back to the car though. mine won't. they got rid of all the equipment to do it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts