Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want a VTEC, I found a 95 today with 95,000 miles on it for $10,500, my friend thinks that it's too many miles and I should keep looking, should I keep looking. Oh, and how much slower is the SI in the 1/4 and 0-60 times, cause it might be another option. So I guess I'm pretty much asking should I buy the vtec or just get an SI for $3,000 less?

·
0 Posts
How much do you plan to spend? If you have enough money, you could rebuild the engine if you like. 95k miles is nothing on a Honda.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Proud Daddy
4,863 Posts
Those miles are not high, but that price is a bit. Try to talk them down some.

I had a 93 for sale that runs pretty quick.

But I decided to keep it.

Get the VTEC, that way you won't ever wish you had. Higher rpms and more h.p.

------------------
Warren

93 Prelude VTEC N/A (lots of mods) [email protected]

00 Honda Accord SE (stock)

·
Registered
658 Posts
95K is normal mileage for that year! Not too many at all. If the oil was changed and the belt done there should be no problem. VTECs are sweeter, plus have standard leather and spoiler. And they are a half-second faster. Go for it.

A happy car is one that is driven!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
How much do you plan to spend? If you have enough money, you could rebuild the engine if you like. 95k miles is nothing on a Honda.

</font>
that's true, but only if the previous (several or one?) owner did the maintenance on that puppy...see if you can get all the service records on it. To be honest I wouldn't spend more than 6k on a used car in 95 with 105k miles...unless it was a supra turbo or M3.

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smoothludey:
that's true, but only if the previous (several or one?) owner did the maintenance on that puppy...see if you can get all the service records on it. To be honest I wouldn't spend more than 6k on a used car in 95 with 105k miles...unless it was a supra turbo or M3.
[/B]</font>
Yeah, an M3 with 95k miles, that's a smart choice.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I got my 93 vtec for 10,500 with 62K miles on it. It now has 75K miles. Id wait a while for a good deal to come along.. unless your in a big hurry.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I could probably talk him down, to under 10. The car has had 2 previous owners. Man I test drove it today and fell in love, a half hour later I went and test drove a Civic Si, no comparison. I was driving the civic so hard trying to get the feeling I got with the 'Lude. Didn't happen. So I know I want a Prelude for sure. Should I wait for a better deal on a vtec to come along, or get this one? Oh, by the way what's the average insurance rate y'all are paying for the prelude?? This is going to be a huge deciding factor. I don't want to be spending like $300 a month.
-Thanx for all your info so far.

·
Registered
332 Posts
sonix

dont wait for another 4th gen vtec to come along, cuz it may be a longlonglong time. they are fairly rare.

as for insurance, dont know if this helps but mine is 125/mo on an si.

later

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smoothludey:

</font>
Obviously you have never paid for the maintenance of a BMW.

Trust me, people drive Honda's for a reason and it isn't because they look cool lowered. Its based on reliability.

------------------
14.6 @ 93.6mph with I/E

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
Yeah, an M3 with 95k miles, that's a smart choice.

</font>
Try 8500 and see what he says.

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sonix:

All I have to say is get the VTEC model. I have spent extensive time driving the si, and yes, it is nice and torquey, but it doesn't even come close to the thrill of VTEC. My jdm VTEC swap was the best decision I have ever made. About six months or so into having my si, I started regretting that I didn't get the VTEC model. I had to live with that fact for the next 5 years. So, do yourself a favor, and get the VTEC model. It has more power, and far better upgradeability. You won't regret it. The sound of the motor is enthralling, and VTEC is simply amazing. Sometimes I have so much fun driving my car now that I think I'm going to bust a nut
j/k But seriously, it's almost as good as sex, when you've got a nice long stretch of open road in front of you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts