Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've about had it with my brand new clutch (and old factory clutch for that matter) feeling like total garbage. i have an act stage 2 hdss and heavy duty pressure plate, prostreetonline.com 9.6lb flywheel, techna fit clutch line, new slave cylinder, basically new master cylinder(intalled in february).

the clutch has a terrible feel to it. on some days, half of the pedal travel is just freeplay and engages like s h i t, other days it feels semi stiff and has an OK engagement.

i've bled the clutch numerous times myself and had a shop do it once. it felt better after i had done it. i explained my situation to the shop. they said that i pretty much tried all the obvious thing and they suggested that i either replace or bypass the clutch damper.

i'm going to bypass the damper. i'm not about to pay $55 for a new clutch damper. my only issue is not having a readily available ss braided line to bypass it with. i may end up talking to techna-fit about having a custom line made, but i don't have a clue what size the fittings are.

alright guys, lets discuss this bypassing thing. let me know what you all think.

·
Eh. :(
3,254 Posts
I think that it will provide a more consistent pedal feel, but you will find that dropping the clutch is going to result in VERY harsh engagement!

I've been wanting to do mine, but haven't goten around to it, let us know!

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
I'm confused, what benefit will this give? Is this just to remedy the clutch problems your having?

Who did all the installs? flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, slave, and master

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well that's why i posted, i want to know if someone else has any similar experiences. i'm bypassing the damper because of exactly what alphajesse said, " a much more consistent pedal feel". i've removed this piece from my talon (when i had it) and it made a tremendous difference. i've also read that bmw owners have a kit that removes theirs.

anyone have any clue what size the fittings are?

EDIT: i installed everything that i listed, i replaced it all because i thought my stock pressure plate took a crap on me. my stock clutch did the same thing, felt the same way, etc. i did not mess up installing anything.

·
USAF
1,519 Posts
Sorry but what is a clutch damper and how do you bypass it? I also have the HDSS and it feels great most of the time, but it seems like I have to adjust the pedal everytime the season changes.. maybe it has more to do with the hydraulics?

·
Amanda's biatch
2,018 Posts
More info on this please!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok well first of all, this technically has little to do with freeplay. freeplay is a byproduct of a bad clutch damper. freeplay/clutch pedal travel can be adjusted as well as the engagement point via the driver compartment footwell.

the clutch damper is on the passenger side subframe right against the firewall. you can trace the clutch line from the master cylinder down to it. the line from the master cylinder goes in and the line to the slave cylinder comes out.

it's reason for existance is that it makes the clutch pedal "user friendly" or "non performance driver" friendly. from what i've read, there is a diaphram and a spring. this mechanism "dampens"(hence the name of the part) the engagement of the clutch. from what my shop has told me, there is a valve of some sort that can get caught up/jammed and that's what causes the extreme difference in pedal feel and engagement.

in my case, considering that i've done/replaced every other logical thing in the clutch hydraulic system, this should be where my problem lies. my shop agrees and some of the honda-tech heads also agree.

they way i see it, if i bypass it and it makes driving difficult, then all i have to do is by a replacement clutch damper. i would like to see what other people think.

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
I honestly do not think anyone from this forum has done this bypass so you'd be the first. If it solves your problems, albeit permanently or temporarily, please do report back.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha trust me, i will. the only thing i need help with is determining the sizes of the fittings. the bypass line would have both female fittings. i just need to know what size the male fittings are. i don't know fitting size terminology very well, that's why i need a hand.

·
you can do EEEEET!
2,394 Posts
thees a thread like this on HT, i believe they already have the fitting size...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, that's if i wanted to go straight from master cylinder to slave cylinder, and i'm not quite sure if i want to do that. i dunno..... what would be be the benefits?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so no one else has anything good huh?

·
Registered
1 Posts
so no one else has anything good huh?
I have bypassed it by going straight from the master to the slave. I have brand new hydraulics including a new ni-copp line as well. My pedal still drops every once in awhile. But that is due to my pressure plate not being replaced when the clutch disc was done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts