Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow im gonna buy tires so i have a few questions ( im buying tires for my 18" rims) I have a 99 base lude
(my car is not lowered, i want to minimize the amount of potential wheel gap)

1st What size to get
225-35-18
225-40-18
215-35-18
215-40-18

2nd What tire to get
Toyo Proxie FZ4
Bridgestone Potenza SO-3
Goodyear Eagle F1-GS-03

3rd
what is the best for road noise?

4th

Which tire would last the longest tread wise, and which would protect my rims the best and wont bubble out the sides when i hit a michigan (detroit) pot hole

5th
what is the difference between the bridgestones "reinforced wall" in the 35 series vs. the toyo and goodyear which do not have a reinforced wall
Anyone have any of these tires mounted on 18" rims ??? on 5th base?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
need to know the offset for your tires some of those tires will not fit if you have too low of an offset, but since you arent lowered you may get away with it. go to www.tirerack.com and read the reviews for the tires and people have rated all that you wish to see there, treadwear etc. Obviously the thicker tires will protect the rims teh best, 225/35/18 has some good meat on it, as well as the 225/40. I have to drive on 215/35 which is barely anything :( 225/35/18 on the rims is nearly the same overall diameter as stock 16" rim with the 205/50/16 tires.

·
sportin' the 4x4....
6,527 Posts
azninside said:
^^ that's what I'm worried bout, cuz I'm lowered on tein ss coilovers, an the rims/tires I'm buyin are 225/40/18 w/ a 40 offset. I may need to buy some different tires later :(
Assume those are a 7" wide wheel you have a bad combo... taller overall diameter, along with a low offset... :( If they are 7.5" wide wheels then you better pray to the wheel/tire gods...

·
sportin' the 4x4....
6,527 Posts
taghans said:
Tomorrow im gonna buy tires so i have a few questions ( im buying tires for my 18" rims) I have a 99 base lude
(my car is not lowered, i want to minimize the amount of potential wheel gap)
What is the width & offset of the wheel? Do you plan to lower the car in the future? This is going to make a difference, no point in buying wheels/tires twice.

taghans said:
1st What size to get
225-35-18
225-40-18
215-35-18
215-40-18
225/35/18 is closest to stock diameter and provide good protection for the wheels.

225/40/18 is going to provide better wheel protection, larger overall diameter (over an inch) ---> this setup is not recommended if you are lowered, should be ok if you're not lowering though.

215/35/18 is not must protect for the wheel, I would only use this size if the offset is low and you car is lowered.

215/40/18 is going to provide better wheel protection than the 215/35's, larger overall diameter (about .75")

taghans said:
2nd What tire to get
Toyo Proxie FZ4
Bridgestone Potenza SO-3
Goodyear Eagle F1-GS-03
You need to decide what you are using the tires for. FX4's are all-season (suck in snow regardless), S-03's are some of the best wet/dry performance tires on the market... I would do some more research on the reviews on tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com

taghans said:
3rd
what is the best for road noise?
See above

taghans said:
4th
Which tire would last the longest tread wise, and which would protect my rims the best and wont bubble out the sides when i hit a michigan (detroit) pot hole
The larger profile section is going to protect the wheel better. They are 18" wheels though. You don't want to be hitting potholes on a regular basis. They aren't going to hold up like the stock wheels. See reviews as mentioned above for tread wear.

taghans said:
5th
what is the difference between the bridgestones "reinforced wall" in the 35 series vs. the toyo and goodyear which do not have a reinforced wall
Anyone have any of these tires mounted on 18" rims ??? on 5th base?
I'm pretty sure that is just a companies description of the tire. However, the performance tire do have stiffer sidewalls which makes for a rougher ride, but the steering response is better.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
Mugenlude said:
Assume those are a 7" wide wheel you have a bad combo... taller overall diameter, along with a low offset... :( If they are 7.5" wide wheels then you better pray to the wheel/tire gods...
yeah, the gram lights are 7.5 :( I have a feeling that I'm goin to need to buy new tires an sell the current ones to my boy :(

·
sportin' the 4x4....
6,527 Posts
hotboy2g said:
im looking into a 18x7.5 with a 40 offset with no drop...stock height. should i go with 215/40/18 or 225/40/18...or anything else?
7.5" with +40mm offset is cutting it close. I'm running +43mm on 7.5", however I'm lowered minimally with really stiff springs, but no rubbing.

Have you seen 215's on a 7.5" wheel? The tire is very close to being too thin and the edge of the wheel maybe exposed somewhat, leaving is more accessable to damage. I don't know what is going to worse; the wider width of the 225/35/18 tire, or the larger overall diameter of the 215/40/18...

Maybe you could wait for someone with a similar setup to comment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts