Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.

Quick question: Recently I managed to pick up an entire steering column and noticed that I could swap the ignition key light with the one I don't have (2.0 EDM Model)

23-173 in the Manual has a simple test of the 8-p connector and the bulb replacement but I have no idea where the 8-p connector should go (2 cables that plug in somewhere that power the bulb). Technically this should go through the ICM so that the light dims several seconds after entering the car.

Any help would be appreciated, any images of where the ICM is located. [email protected]

Thanks!

Victor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ignition Key Light Installation

Hi!

Okay, this will take you about 30 minutes to do.

Very simple mod. Concerning parts, all you need is the ignition key ring with the bulb and two wires from a donor lock/car.

ATTENTION: Never cut the wires. There's an 8P connector that simply unhinges at the sides and up, then with a small flat head screw driver lift up the plastic piece holding the pin in place and remove the wire. Just in case you were wondering....

Okay, as you can see on the pictures I've removed quite a bit. Steering wheel, ignition housing/cover (make sure you have a long philips screw driver) and the under dash cover.

Next, remove the vent that connects the heater with the vent in the door (unslide it). The harness, or specifically the connector you are looking for should be attached with a brown clip to the vent that you have just removed, or rather you had to unclip it in order to remove it. There are two connectors along side, we are focusing on the narrower one (physically 10 pins I think).

Depending on the version of your car, this connector may have other wires running through it. Mine originally had two: both blue. There may be a yellow and black or others but do not worry about them. Pins 2 and 5 (if pin 1 is the top left hand corner) is where you need to open the connector and insert the wires. (All in the photo)

The test to see if it works is simple. The ICU has the door timer already installed, so you should be able to test if it works either by toggling the driver side door switch or opening and closing the door. If you did this correctly, the light stays on for a few seconds and then fades out.

Next, remove the ignition ring (black) by unclipping it and put on the new ring, insert the light bulb and twist/lock it in place. Assemble everything else and you're done!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ignition Key Light Installation

Hi!

Okay, this will take you about 30 minutes to do.

Very simple mod. Concerning parts, all you need is the ignition key ring with the bulb and two wires from a donor lock/car.

ATTENTION: Never cut the wires. There's an 8P connector that simply unhinges at the sides and up, then with a small flat head screw driver lift up the plastic piece holding the pin in place and remove the wire. Just in case you were wondering....

Okay, as you can see on the pictures I've removed quite a bit. Steering wheel, ignition housing/cover (make sure you have a long philips screw driver) and the under dash cover.

Next, remove the vent that connects the heater with the vent in the door (unslide it). The harness, or specifically the connector you are looking for should be attached with a brown clip to the vent that you have just removed, or rather you had to unclip it in order to remove it. There are two connectors along side, we are focusing on the narrower one (physically 10 pins I think).

Depending on the version of your car, this connector may have other wires running through it. Mine originally had two: both blue. There may be a yellow and black or others but do not worry about them. Pins 2 and 5 (if pin 1 is the top left hand corner) is where you need to open the connector and insert the wires. (All in the photo)

The test to see if it works is simple. The ICU has the door timer already installed, so you should be able to test if it works either by toggling the driver side door switch or opening and closing the door. If you did this correctly, the light stays on for a few seconds and then fades out.

Next, remove the ignition ring (black) by unclipping it and put on the new ring, insert the light bulb and twist/lock it in place. Assemble everything else and you're done!
Do you happen to know the bulb type?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts