Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is a good wire to tap that only carries current when the ignition is on? i need it to for air/fuel gauge. i have the other wires set up, and i was going to do the cigarette lighter wire, but i was told it was the red one, and there were two red ones, a plain red and a red with like gray stripes. i tapped the solid red and that didn't work. any other wires that would be easy to access?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
When I instaleld my A/F guage, I pulled all three wires into the passenger side where I had all the connections:

O2 signal: Connector D7 on ECU (white cable)
Power: Connector A11 or A42 on ECU (both are yellow/black wires)
Ground: Passenger side kick panel

I know there's a picture somewhere on the internet, i dont know where. If you have a helms that makes it MUCH easier.

Easy stuff. Just don't crimp the cable when you reinstall the ecu cover (like Joon did!).

Oh yeah, there's also the power cable to the radio, if you want to pull it from that...A5 behind the radio (its a white/red wire). GOod luck

------------------

'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor
Going to replace the springs w/ a set of GC's

[This message has been edited by iranman (edited May 03, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
In the fuse panel there's a port, number 3 if I remember correctly....it only comes on when the key is in the II position. I'll check again when I get home tonight for you and even take a picture of it for you. This is the same port I used to wire up my a/f ratio meter.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iranman:
Easy stuff. Just don't crimp the cable when you reinstall the ecu cover (like Joon did!).

Oh yeah, there's also the power cable to the radio, if you want to pull it from that...A5 behind the radio (its a white/red wire). GOod luck
</font>
HE IS CORRECT! My port #3 is the easiest way to wire it up I think.

[This message has been edited by Joon525 (edited May 03, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
HE IS CORRECT! My port #3 is the easiest way to wire it up I think.

[This message has been edited by Joon525 (edited May 03, 2001).]
</font>
You're probably right, but i figured since i'm going to be spending most of my time in the passenger area, why not pull all three wires there and make it easier on myself. You're gonna cut an ecu wire for the signal--why not make it two and take care of the power source? Plus, there's a ground connection right there too! That way you're not moving one wire to the passenger side, one to the driver side, and one under the dash...personally it makes for a cleaner install. But, "to each his own."

------------------

'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor
Going to replace the springs w/ a set of GC's

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
In the fuse panel there's a port, number 3 if I remember correctly....it only comes on when the key is in the II position. I'll check again when I get home tonight for you and even take a picture of it for you. This is the same port I used to wire up my a/f ratio meter.</font>
Hey..take a picture for me if you can then.. I'm installing a tach right now and I hope i can use that port for powering the tach or using it to turn on the light on the tach.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts

The port you want to tap is circled in green. It's only on when the key is in the second position. Just get a slide connector and attach it to the end of the wire and then slide it in there. Done.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
up

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

Someone sell me their stock taillights

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
joon- thanks for the help. i'm going to the dealer today to pick up that slide connector (since radio shack and schuck's didn't have them).

one question....the wire that i insert there for the power for the a/f gauge, can i tap that to get power for my other gauge? i'm assuming yes but i just want to make sure.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ahcjar103:
joon- thanks for the help. i'm going to the dealer today to pick up that slide connector (since radio shack and schuck's didn't have them).

one question....the wire that i insert there for the power for the a/f gauge, can i tap that to get power for my other gauge? i'm assuming yes but i just want to make sure.
</font>
I got my slide connector from Radio Shack.....soooooo~~~~ What choo talkin bout Willis???!?!
My slide connector looks NOTHING like the brown on in the one next to it right now. It doesn't have to. The dealer isn't going to sell you the brown one anyway.

And yes you can tap that same wire.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts

ooooh. ok now it get it. i thought the only thing that could fit in there was that brown slide connector piece in the picture. thanks a lot.
</font>
You're welcome.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also, do you know which wire to tap into that controls the dash lights or something else compatible so the light in my other gauge will come on when i turn the lights on?

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
also, do you know which wire to tap into that controls the dash lights or something else compatible so the light in my other gauge will come on when i turn the lights on?</font>
Notice that there are 2 brown plugs in my picture? The one to the right is plugged into the slot that turns on when the lights turn on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts