Honda Prelude Online banner

221 - 238 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I think I'll have to add to this thread since so many people are so misinformed about the Prelude automatic transmission. Every Honda of the same years all had problems, the Accords of 98-02 4cylinder were actually worse than the Prelude.

Pshrod, I'm sorry but your totally retarded for taking it to some transmission shop thinking they'll be able to fix that transmission. Honda will laugh at you for even trying to file any sort of complaint after taking it to an aftermarket shop even if their specialty is transmissions. Working at the dealer I've seen some that were on their original trans with tons of miles, others that were slipping that were either on the original trans or one an aftermarket shop rebuilt and then some that were just fine because they got the rebuilt Honda trans.

Every person reading on here has to take what they're reading from others here with a grain of salt since most here are driving their cars hard or just flat out not taking care of the trans properly. When I mean properly that includes both not changing the fluid ever 30k or less OR using ANY sort of aftermarket fluid OR additive. You'll also NEVER EVER want to flush any Honda transmission as it WILL ruin it and if you go to the dealer with problems and admit to flushing at an aftermarket shop you will void the warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you cant speak English, join a forum in your language. Stop posting new topics in existing threads.
the ss prelude in croatia is very rare car and i don't have anybody to ask about this, so i post here, and where did i post new topic?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why am I so retarded for taking my car to a shop to have the tranny fixed? I had it done way before I ever knew about the common problem! There's no retardedness about what I did at all! Everyone on these dam forum sites always talk about how one should never take there car to the dealer for anything unless you like getting raped!! I did what anyone would have done! But what I did do that was completely retarded, was buy a ss automatic prelude!! Now that was retarded!! I keep up on all my regular maintenance like crazy, so that was not a factor on the tranny failure.

I think I'll have to add to this thread since so many people are so misinformed about the Prelude automatic transmission. Every Honda of the same years all had problems, the Accords of 98-02 4cylinder were actually worse than the Prelude.

Pshrod, I'm sorry but your totally retarded for taking it to some transmission shop thinking they'll be able to fix that transmission. Honda will laugh at you for even trying to file any sort of complaint after taking it to an aftermarket shop even if their specialty is transmissions. Working at the dealer I've seen some that were on their original trans with tons of miles, others that were slipping that were either on the original trans or one an aftermarket shop rebuilt and then some that were just fine because they got the rebuilt Honda trans.

Every person reading on here has to take what they're reading from others here with a grain of salt since most here are driving their cars hard or just flat out not taking care of the trans properly. When I mean properly that includes both not changing the fluid ever 30k or less OR using ANY sort of aftermarket fluid OR additive. You'll also NEVER EVER want to flush any Honda transmission as it WILL ruin it and if you go to the dealer with problems and admit to flushing at an aftermarket shop you will void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Not every dealer rapes, I work at one and yes, there are a couple of people there I wouldn't recommend but your paying for OEM parts and people who have been paid to go to school by Honda to repair everything properly. There are a couple of people even here on this forum who's cars I've worked on and as far as I know they were very happy since it was all under the table. You have to remember too though that you're going to hear a lot of bad when on the internet considering how many people are on it.

If you would have just payed a little extra for the Honda trans you wouldn't be having any problems like you are now, that was the mistake. A good portion of repairs we get are from aftermarket shops that either ****ed more than they fixed or just didn't know where to start so they paid us to do it.

You're also never going to hear any good on a site like this about the auto Preludes. You know why? Because most with an auto could care less about modding the car so you don't hear anything from them since it's just another car to them.

Summary: Take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Why am I so retarded for taking my car to a shop to have the tranny fixed? I had it done way before I ever knew about the common problem! There's no retardedness about what I did at all! Everyone on these dam forum sites always talk about how one should never take there car to the dealer for anything unless you like getting raped!! I did what anyone would have done! But what I did do that was completely retarded, was buy a ss automatic prelude!! Now that was retarded!! I keep up on all my regular maintenance like crazy, so that was not a factor on the tranny failure.
Bro, don't take some members comments to heart. Take what you can from the post and leave the rest. You did what you thought was best for your Lude and that's all you can do. Unless your a Technician, you have to go to a dealership or independent shop unfortunately. Fortunately for my family, I'm a trained Auto Tech. I still go to my elders for advice though, especially when it comes to tranny issues. Honda has an excellent rep over the years but as mentioned earlier, Honda had some bumps in the road with the A/T's. What I like to do with the SS A/T on the 5G Lude is drain/fill every 20k, using only Honda brand A/T fluid with a bottle of "Lucas Tranny Fix". The Lucas tranny fix really assist in extending the life of the SS A/T or in most A/T's. Obviously if your really hard on your A/T then your bound to decrease it's life, especially on the 5G Lude. Best bet when your A/T goes on your 5G is to just swap over to the 5 speed, which has a great rep. While your swapping I'd suggest going deep in your pockets for quality components needed(clutch,fly wheel, etc.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
You're also never going to hear any good on a site like this about the auto Preludes. You know why? Because most with an auto could care less about modding the car so you don't hear anything from them since it's just another car to them.

Summary: Take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt.
+1

Independent shops do more harm than help sometimes. I got my '99 Lude(auto) knowing I would eventually need/want to swap in a M/T. Only cause I had prior knowledge about the A/T, plus- who really wants to hook up an automatic, there no fun. Good post bro!!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I agree with changing the fluid every 20k with ATF DW-1 but strongly disagree with using an additive as they are too thick for Honda transmissions. Even if they help the clutches grab better they do a horrible job of lubricating the bearings.

Most people also don't realize that Honda ATF is synthetic.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Obviously no one here has used it or else someone would have posted, you'll find very few on here have the auto trans and most are planning to swap to 5 speed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just purchased a 1997 SS 'Lude a few days ago. I had no idea about the SS transmission problem; I figured Honda's were Aces in reliability. I read this entire thread after a guy at the tuner shop mentioned the problem. I was very freaked out at first, but then I checked the detailed maintenance records that came with the car and the transmission was changed out by Honda a few months before the warranty ran out.

I'm still worried, but not as worried. I've decided to learn to drive a stick. My friend can teach me when he has free time. I've never driven a stick in my life but I think I would like it.

Still, a transmission swap is expensive according to my tuner shop. They said between 3-4k total costs. Does that seem like the right price??

The current mileage on the car is 116,000. My mechanic told me it's in perfect condition, didn't charge me a dime.

·
The Collector
2,721 Posts
Still, a transmission swap is expensive according to my tuner shop. They said between 3-4k total costs. Does that seem like the right price??

The current mileage on the car is 116,000. My mechanic told me it's in perfect condition, didn't charge me a dime.

manual trans costs around 1k plus another 1k to drop it in. Plus another 500 for small bits here and there.

2 - 2.5k is a reasonable cost for the whole job. There are places that will do the job for cheaper. Even better if you have any buddies that can help you do this or anyone that has any connections or knows people.

what they told you is a complete rip-off price. Tell them I said to stop ripping you off. 4K? damn..comon now

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just purchased a 1997 SS 'Lude a few days ago. I had no idea about the SS transmission problem; I figured Honda's were Aces in reliability. I read this entire thread after a guy at the tuner shop mentioned the problem. I was very freaked out at first, but then I checked the detailed maintenance records that came with the car and the transmission was changed out by Honda a few months before the warranty ran out.

I'm still worried, but not as worried. I've decided to learn to drive a stick. My friend can teach me when he has free time. I've never driven a stick in my life but I think I would like it.

A 5speed swap would be best if you plan on driving her hard or even just spirited. I got 2 suggestions for you as far as maintenance on your SS a/t. First, service your tranny every 15,000 miles(drains & fills), if you go drain & fill route you have to repeat this process a couple of times to ensure you've drained out all the old fluid. I do a drain & fill about 3 times in one week intervals. I know it sounds like a pain but it's safer than flushing out a tranny with over 50,000 miles. Second, make sure you use Honda Brand ATF or better. I like the Honda stuff with a Lucas tranny treatment buts that's just me. Mobil 1 ATF for imports is a good choice or maybe Amsoil brand ATF. You can probably get most of this at your local Honda dealer. I've made friends with the guys who work in the parts dept. and they hook me up with empoyee discounts on stuff. Funny thing is that I work for Toyota but since I'm a technician always buying stuff there they extend respect for being in the same field. Hope this helped you, good wrenching!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
soo can someone help me with this? Please
I know it's been over a month since you posted this but I'm in the giving mood. I know guys who have installed an after market trans cooler into there system. If you install it to work with the factory system it can assist(help) with extending the life of your A/T. If your going to plug up your factory tranny cooler to just use the B&M cooler then I would say your just wasting your time. Just because you install this B&M cooler doesn't mean you have a race car now, you should still drive it in a regular manner. Most importantly, you must do your PM's and I'd suggest changing you tranny fluid every 15-20k.
Good Wrenching!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So my reverse is going out. I can't reverse uphill AT ALL and my car jerks when i come to a full stop or close to a full stop, whenever i shift it into reverse or D4 it always jerks into place taking like 3 seconds. I'm currently at 160k and I'm trying to figure out how long I have until it fails. I've driven it for about 20k now and I notice it slowly getting worse. Should I wait until it completely fails before I do something about it? Are there shops that will finance me on doing a tranny swap? I just don't want to end up car less because I love my prelude to death.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Girlfriend hada 99 SS with a 120k that was going out, but the car was totaled by a teenager texting and driving.
So she bought another 2000 SS model with 75k. I have noticed it slipping from 1-2 gear. I promptly changed the ATF with Honda ATF. When at the dealer I asked about the 100k mile warranty and they ran the VIN and said there wasnt one.
Also is Ive read cleaning a filter screen behind solenoid A will help this hard shift from 1-2.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
There is absolutely an extended warranty, and I thought that the warranty was for the life of the car.

They may be playing the Honda game of "you are not the original owner."

Keep in mind: they had to do this because of a lawsuit...

221 - 238 of 238 Posts