Honda Prelude Online banner

201 - 220 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does extended warranty expire after 7 years?

If you prelude has less than 100k on it, it's still under the Honda transmission warranty for the 99, 00, and 01.

Otherwise, if it's just a little over call Hondacare and see what they'll do for you...
Gerhard,

I'm a noob here and joined because I have a 2K Prelude SS with 52,000 mile on it that I bought in June 2000, not knowing about the p!sspoor transmission. Hey, it's a Honda I thought, and I've owned Civics and Accords for years, problem free. But now, 3,000 miles later the tranny looks like it's gonna go.

You say the extended warranty is good for up to 100,000 miles, but I keep seeing 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, which would mean my 2K is past the extended warranty.

Could you clarify this issue for me, namely whether my 2K tranny is covered unde the extended warranty or not?

Thanks, Asok.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Gerhard,

I'm a noob here and joined because I have a 2K Prelude SS with 52,000 mile on it that I bought in June 2000, not knowing about the p!sspoor transmission. Hey, it's a Honda I thought, and I've owned Civics and Accords for years, problem free. But now, 3,000 miles later the tranny looks like it's gonna go.

You say the extended warranty is good for up to 100,000 miles, but I keep seeing 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, which would mean my 2K is past the extended warranty.

Could you clarify this issue for me, namely whether my 2K tranny is covered unde the extended warranty or not?

Thanks, Asok.
If your warranty renctly expired, what you do is call Honda care about any transmission problems and see what they'll do for you.

The other issue is that he last 3 model years of the Prelude are covered to 100k on the transmission, I don't think there is a year limit.

...and your mileage is WAY to low... so unless your were boosting or something... there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your warranty renctly expired, what you do is call Honda care about any transmission problems and see what they'll do for you.

The other issue is that he last 3 model years of the Prelude are covered to 100k on the transmission, I don't think there is a year limit.

...and your mileage is WAY to low... so unless your were boosting or something... there shouldn't be a problem.
Wow, thanks for the advice Gerhard! I'll give Honda Care a call, and let everyone here know what ulitmately transpires.

basil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gerhard et. al.,

I've got another noob question. Hey, isn't that what noobs do?

Are there any other automatic transmissions that can be swapped for the SS?

I've googled the net and searched here and other places and can't find a single reference, so I assume the answer is no. But just wanted to confirm it.

Also, would an H&A or Howard remanufactured SS have the fatal flaws from the original Honda SS fixed, or are these just as likely to fail as well?

Not sure I want to face the 5-speed swap, plus I'm getting too damn old and lazy to be doing all that shifting all the time anymore, so everyone can withhold the cracks about my manhood, though I admit I'd probably enjoy the heck out of ramrodding a 5-speed about.

I know ya'll say sell it and buy a 5-speed, but this is a Premium Pearl White 2K lude with 52,000 miles on it when I bought it and it looks almost new in and out. I paid $6,000 for it a couple of months ago, and looking around, comparable 5-speed cars have an asking price from $9,000-$12,000 in these parts. To sell it, I'll have to have the tranny replaced one way or the other anyway, so it's still looking like a better financial bet to keep this one and repair it in some fashion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
American Honda helps out with SS tranny 3 years out of warranty

Gerhard,

I called American Honda and explained my situation. There is indeed a 7 year warranty limit, but due to low mileage, me having owned many Hondas, and single-ownership on the Prelude (which I fudged a bit since this was one of those ex-wife transfer things that they didn't want to hear the sordid details about), AH was willing to play ball. They assigned a case number and called my local Honda dealership, altering them I was bringing the car in the next day at AH's request. The car managed to get there and the next day AH called me and said the dealership said I needed a new tranny. AH agreed to knock off $800.00 from the total bill, which at that point came in $400.00 less than a quote from a reputable shop using the same Honda tranny obtained from Honda. This on a car 3 years out of warranty, so AH was willing to do more than legally necessary to keep me as a future customer. New tranny has a 3 year/36,000 miles warranty, so I can now drive the thing, sell it if I want to without taking a massive loss and get a 5-speed if/when the right one comes a long if I want to do that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Probably specific circumstances dictate AH's response. I have a single-owner 2K base with 55,000 miles, single owner, complete Honda dealership maintenance during its lifetime, and no mods. Also, I'm a loyal Honda customer. The repair is still going to cost me $2,800.00 plus sales tax. Also, the original 7 year extended warranty covered only the 2k and 2k+1 models. The $800.00 they knocked off was probably simply their gross profit margin anyway.

wait, so does this mean my prelude that has 95k miles can get fixed for free? im not boosted or anything. just intake header and cat back... its a 99 base btw

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have 120,000 miles on my 97 SS 'Lude and have not had any problems with the tranny. I have i/h/e mods. I tap VTEC-mode on average of 3 times per day and I drive SS 99% of the time. I just had the 120,000 mile maintenance done on the car and everything seems to be running okay. Just wanted to post my 2 cents worth...I'm extremely pleased with my car. How about the rest of you 97-99 SS 'Luders out there? What's your experience with the SS tranny?
I recently bought a 99 SS Lude with 122,000 on it. My transmission died at 124,000. I had to spend $1500 to rebuild it. I love my Prelude to death, I'm only 18 and a freshman in college, so the manual conversion is going to have to wait a number of years because my father doesn't believe in hacking up cars.....until it dies again...

·
Registered
68 Posts
hey guys
this is my first post so please try not to slam me.
I've got a 2000 Lude with 77,000 miles on it, I can't remember when the tranny fluid was changed, everything in the engine area is original. Plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc.
I was thinking of changing whatever needed to be changed which in my case would be,full tune up, timing belt, tensioner swap, thermosate, etc. Just this week I began hearing a strange noise, it sounded like it was coming from underneath the drivers side foot rest area. Oddly enough today while driving my GF to work I didn't hear any sound. I don't drive very much, maybe 125miles/week, all city. I haven't hit Vtec in atleast 1 year, this Lude has been babied for the past 5 years, prior to that, I used to push it but not on a regular basis, maybe hitting Vtec 3 times/week.
I sometimes get long gear shifts when going from gears 2-3.

Here's my dilema:
should I spend money on the car and change whatever parts are needed?
or
try doing a tranny flush (6litres) first and see if my problem comes back?

If doing a tranny flush would it be better to use Honda DW-1 for the full 6 litres or use Z1 if I can find it? maybe even using 3litres of DW-1 and 3litres of Z1.
I was reading about GM Synchromesh, how about using this stuff in my tranny?

hope I'm not asking too much.
Ang

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have replaced the tranny in my 1997 ss auto once already and its never felt the same since... i got out of a 1992 gs 300 Lexus because i thought id have less problems with the prelude as Ive owned many accords and civics and 3rd and 4th gen preludes....suffice to say i would have never bought the car without a 5speed knowing the issues associated with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
need help in sAN dIEGO

i have a 99 prelude base with auto trans, bought it last month for 5k it has 108 k miles , tranny just started shifting out of gear and sometimes would rev but not accelerate, wheres the best place to get a used or rebuilt tranny, I called several shops in LA and cheapest one for a rebuilt is $975 installed what are my other options and what are the specs and model # for these transmissions.

I'm new to this forum and hoping to get some info on the 99 prelude need help Is there any reputable shops in San Diego.

·
Registered
6 Posts
newly purchased 97

Hello all, I recently purchased a 97 ss for my sons 16th birthday. When I test drove it the previous owner told me of trans issues. I checked the atf and it was 1 qt low. I added fluid and it seemed to make a big difference. Problem before adding fluid was hard shifts(clunking into gear and when changing gears and the occasional high rev between 1st and second only I think). After adding fluid it seemed to calm down, actually shifted smooth! After the purchase while driving it home the origional symptoms showed up again. odo shows 153k. Purchased car for 2k. What do the experts suggest my first fix should be? was thinking of starting with the distributor icm fix. Second will be atf change. Do you have to drop the pan for this or can I transfer pump it out? Would some lucas added to the atf help?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello all, I recently purchased a 97 ss for my sons 16th birthday. When I test drove it the previous owner told me of trans issues. I checked the atf and it was 1 qt low. I added fluid and it seemed to make a big difference. Problem before adding fluid was hard shifts(clunking into gear and when changing gears and the occasional high rev between 1st and second only I think). After adding fluid it seemed to calm down, actually shifted smooth! After the purchase while driving it home the origional symptoms showed up again. odo shows 153k. Purchased car for 2k. What do the experts suggest my first fix should be? was thinking of starting with the distributor icm fix. Second will be atf change. Do you have to drop the pan for this or can I transfer pump it out? Would some lucas added to the atf help?
Sorry to tell you but with tranny symptoms of that severity its time for a transmission rebuild/5 spd. conversion. About a month ago I had to rebuild my transmission (a 5 spd swap was not in the cards for me due to a permanent knee injury), it suddenly crapped out on me (neutraling out between shifts in excess of 3 seconds) as I was literally 50 feet from the freeway on-ramp :bigthumb: . If my tranny had crapped out on me a minute later I would of been in serious trouble, I suggest you fix the problem either with a 5 spd swap ($1,200-$2,500) or a tranny rebuild ($800-$1,700), these are average prices so depending on where you live/who you know it may be more or even less. I personally paid $1,300 with a 1 year parts & labor warranty, make sure to get a warranty which ever way you choose. Do NOT let your son drive the car around like this as it is really dangerous having the car neutral out especially in traffic.

You seem to have bought the Lude for a great price even given the tranny problems, so as long as their is nothing else major that the lude needs you should still come out with a nicely priced car after all is said and done. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I'd change the ATF first even though it may not help much, best bet would be to either swap to 5 speed or get a new trans from Honda. Heard of people trying to get it rebuild at random transmission shops and it didn't last.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Do you know how long it's been since American Honda has replaced a ss auto? Or if you have a 2000 with say 90,000 on the odo and the trans is going...would they still replace trans for this situation?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm on my second ss transmission right now. It went out at 135k miles. It cost me almost $2500 to get it fixed at a transmission shop. I just filed my complaint.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has Honda done anything as in the way of recalling the ss automatic yet? I just bought a 99 prelude that's on it's 3rd tranny right now. I have all the documents proving it's on it's 3rd tranny right now. I will be do the 5 speed swap soon to eliminate the problem all together, but would like to know if Honda has done something yet or is going to do something about there F#%* up in the future. There are a lot of ss auto preludes out there with the same problems. There should be no question at all about why they keep going out! Honda knows exactly why they keep going out!!

201 - 220 of 238 Posts