Honda Prelude Online banner

181 - 200 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hm. After reading this thread I decided to check my 1997 ss auto prelude's maintenance records and found that it's never had it's transmission replaced, nor worked on and my car has approximately 163k miles on it. Lately it has been shuddering when shifting gears and kind of clunking. Can anyone tell me if that means my car's time is coming? I hope not, because I absolutely love my car, and I've only had it for a year and a half... If it is coming... time to buy a 5-speed manual. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hm. After reading this thread I decided to check my 1997 ss auto prelude's maintenance records and found that it's never had it's transmission replaced, nor worked on and my car has approximately 163k miles on it. Lately it has been shuddering when shifting gears and kind of clunking. Can anyone tell me if that means my car's time is coming? I hope not, because I absolutely love my car, and I've only had it for a year and a half... If it is coming... time to buy a 5-speed manual. :)
If it has never been serviced, drain the tranny fluid and replace it with Honda ATF, drive it for 500-1000 miles and drain it again and replace the fluid and that should hopefully fix you problems since it has never been changed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, is there a list of places/businesses (I live on the East Coast in PA) that are reputable to do a SS > 5 spd stick swap? And what's the final cost for people who have done the swap?

I ask because I'm looking at purchasing a '98 Prelude-SS with 62k miles on it and when I test drove it today, it shifted hard from 1st to 2nd gear. It didn't slam and would probably have hardly been noticeable for most people but I certainly picked up on it. So, before I agreed to purchase the car I started searching around online, which lead me to this thread.

So, I'm trying to see what a tranny swap would cost to see if I can work the price of the car down enough to justify purchasing it.

- J.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, is there a list of places/businesses (I live on the East Coast in PA) that are reputable to do a SS > 5 spd stick swap? And what's the final cost for people who have done the swap?

I ask because I'm looking at purchasing a '98 Prelude-SS with 62k miles on it and when I test drove it today, it shifted hard from 1st to 2nd gear. It didn't slam and would probably have hardly been noticeable for most people but I certainly picked up on it. So, before I agreed to purchase the car I started searching around online, which lead me to this thread.

So, I'm trying to see what a tranny swap would cost to see if I can work the price of the car down enough to justify purchasing it.

- J.
It depends if you look around enough and do most of the labor yourself or know someone who will hook it up it can be as little as $1,000-1,200 or as much as $2,500-3,000 or even more if you want to add a bunch of goodies.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's almost pointless to buy a car knowing the tranny would go out? That is unless you use it against the seller and get a Really cheap deal on it to where you actually save money by doing the swap. Otherwise I've seen manual preludes for around 4-5k and you could spend the savings on better things, like an h22a swap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do the swap! I paid $3000 for it and the performance shop said it was slightly tricky. I have had no problems since. Also did the G23 swap, took 10 months and $4000.
Rediculous!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys. I'm thinking of a 5 sp swap for my 1998 prelude vtir.

It has 140000km on the odometer. And overall the car is in very good condition. The transmission changes smoothly. No strange sounds. So it seems fine for now.

I live in australia. Anyone know a place in australia that does the swaps? and what price range am i looking at?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got my '99 SS and it drives perfect, other than O2 issue I have at the moment. The house wife who owned the car before me was the 2nd owner, and when I mentioned VTEC she said "What's that? Does it cost a lot of money?" so I know for sure the car was driven pretty good, it definitely drives like it too. Its a hit and miss really, if the owner doesnt seem to know a lot about the car they are driving, its a good sign :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just got my '99 SS and it drives perfect, other than O2 issue I have at the moment. The house wife who owned the car before me was the 2nd owner, and when I mentioned VTEC she said "What's that? Does it cost a lot of money?" so I know for sure the car was driven pretty good, it definitely drives like it too. Its a hit and miss really, if the owner doesnt seem to know a lot about the car they are driving, its a good sign :D
How many miles are on your 99 SS?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Do the swap! I paid $3000 for it and the performance shop said it was slightly tricky. I have had no problems since. Also did the G23 swap, took 10 months and $4000.
Rediculous!
was the $3000 just for labor or parts too? and where did u find a transmission?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think my prelude odometer tops majority of peoples. lol. Running close to 232,000 miles. Stock engine and Tranny and still runs strong! but i wanna do a manual swap, tired of the automatic and it shifting for me haha
1998 SS Auto Base... heres a pic when I bought her =D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Transmission saying goodbye I think

Hey guys I think my tranny is giving out I am at 207,xxx miles and i am starting to get some slippage when the tranny is cold then perfect shifting after that. I am going to try and change the fluid and see if I can go any longer on it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I dread posting in this thread because I'm sure the answer is in there somewhere but I couldn't find it, alas,

So I have a 2000 Base, salvage title (meaning all warranties prior to salvage title are void) 150k miles, been going bad since 130k, I "skip" over the problem of it not shifting into 2nd and out to 3rd with the manual shift option, worked well for me for about a year now but it's getting annoying and just plain sucks. Went to Honda in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and they quoted me 3300 for tranny and labor, I asked if it has the changes necessary to make it so that it won't go out again like all 5th gen autos seem to do and he said, "I don't know of any problems, most seem to work fine" so major bull**** there. So what I'm wondering is,

if I have the Honda dealership replace my busted tranny, how do I know that it's one that is not going to break like this one did? Are their any numbers to know what the old ones were and the new ones are? I want to go with Honda because they said they would give me a 3 year warranty on it, but if the tranny's just the same as it was before, the 3 year warranty isn't worth it compared to time lost being in the shop every year.

Thanks for any help

- stevo -

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was also wondering,

I'm looking to buy 1997 SS that the owner says the tranny just recently started to give problems, it has 175k on it and it is totally shot, no way around it, some say that this is normal, is it really normal for a tranny to be totally shot at 175k miles? I've got a 91 acura with 250k on it and it still shifts perfect.

181 - 200 of 238 Posts