Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Personally..I like springs more..it's just a choice..but if you do go coilover..I recommend new shocks with the setup. Springs usually give you a better ride with stock shocks.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I have never heard of that. I had my stock shocks for a while with my GC's and the ride never seemed too bad. But now that i have my KONIs its all good. I recommend doing the two (Coil-overs/shocks) at the same time.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Not as far as i know. I just adjusted my coil overs the otherday, no stripping at all. i dont even see how they would strip.

·
I don't believe in Titles
3,078 Posts
Well unless you are adjusting them constantly (which is a pain in the ass even with the best designs), chances are they will rust or the shock part of them will wear out before the threads. However they can seize up if they aren't taken care of (ie you can't adjust them anymore). But you can use anti-seize to prevent this.

·
Registered
203 Posts
do you have to adjust your cambers also? If so, when you raise/lower your car from the camber setting, will you have uneven wear for the time you had the new setting?

------------------
SR20DE...Sorry

·
I don't believe in Titles
3,078 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by azninvazion:
do you have to adjust your cambers also? If so, when you raise/lower your car from the camber setting, will you have uneven wear for the time you had the new setting?

</font>
Technically yes - however most people don't raise it up and down from the max and min settings. remember you can drop your car at least an inch an half without worrying about camber. So most likely one would just use a camber kit that is a happy middle ground if they drop it even further. Probably in the long run, it's cheaper to buy new wheels more often than having different camber kits (oh and that's not the type of thing you want to be adjusting either). The question that was asked some time ago - look for the thread, was how often people with Teins actually change the height of the car, it wasn't too many. I could see myself raising it in the winter and lowering it in the summer (I have winter and summer rims so it wouldn't be that much trouble in doing this), but that's it. I guess it really depends on how much of a real driver you are - if you don't push your car that hard most of the time then spending all that time would be kind of pointless.

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by prelude2005:
is it true that the adjustable threads will strip over time?...is it better for me to go springs?</font>
Where did you hear this?

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by checkmate58:
Personally..I like springs more..it's just a choice..but if you do go coilover..I recommend new shocks with the setup. Springs usually give you a better ride with stock shocks.</font>
It doesn't matter if they are springs or a coilover conversion kit. What determines how well they work with stock dampers is the spring rate. If you're going to go through the trouble of buying a coilover conversion, you might as well get dampers at the same time. Actually you should get dampers with any type of aftermarket spring since aftermarket springs usually have a higher spring rate.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have heard of coilovers stripping, but only the cheap sleeve type. I think on my next car I will go for the Apexi WS coilovers. I live where it snows and I wish I could have raised my car up a little bit this winter and I only have pro-kits.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Installation of the Ground Controls is the most important. You must keep the threaded sleeve centered around the shocks (stock or aftermarket shocks) with the use of o-rings.
Once you've centered the threaded sleeve, you should not have springs rubbing on the threaded sleeve.

I finally drove my Prelude this weekend with the Ground Control and Koni Yellow combo...the ride was 1000% better than stock, especially on the turns. I smelled my rubber after a couple of hard, hard curved turns on the highways to Atlantic City.

Just make sure you get the threaded sleeve centered!!! good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts