Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem when I am in neutral, my car revs up and down from 1K to 2K rpm. I have a few ideas what it could be but not sure. Has anyone had this problem before?

Ideas: Vacuum Leak or Idle Control Sensor

I got a 96 SR DOHC H23A1.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have two Idle Air Control Valves for sale if you are interested. Just shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
319 Posts
my car didnt stop surging after warmup and it still was the FITV.
see if its working. if its coolant lines are not connected, tighten the screw/valve inside the FITV down.

·
Registered
147 Posts
omg. well you guys really dont know what your talking about.
its not the icv.
take off your throttle body. on the bottem there should be a plate about an inch and a half big with two screws in it.
unscrew them and you will see a Bigger plastic looking screw.
you will have to use a big/wide flat head.
screw it all the way back in, some are so bad that the screw acctually comes out.
all this took me about 20 mins. its really easy and doesnt make you look like a dumbass any more. lol i rode around like that for 1 1/2 months untill i figured it out.

·
Registered
291 Posts
omg. well you guys really dont know what your talking about.
its not the icv.
take off your throttle body. on the bottem there should be a plate about an inch and a half big with two screws in it.
unscrew them and you will see a Bigger plastic looking screw.
you will have to use a big/wide flat head.
screw it all the way back in, some are so bad that the screw acctually comes out.
all this took me about 20 mins. its really easy and doesnt make you look like a dumbass any more. lol i rode around like that for 1 1/2 months untill i figured it out.

agreed...but also check your iacv and all the vacuum, coolant lines as well...just to be on the safe side...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Alright well, time to spit out my thoughts.

I've had the same prob since I've replaced my engine. And the possibilities are a combo of pretty much everyone, and then some

I have been told-
-Adjust Idle screw on Throttle Body
-Spray Carb Cleaner on all vacuum lines and check for leaks
-Bad MAP sensor
-Throttle Positioning Sensor
-Clean Your IAC Valve (really easy)
-Possibly air in coolant lines

Now, I'm not recommending you try those in that order. Try the cheapest first, start from the bottom and work you're way up. Sometimes it can get expensive, though half that needs to be done anyways after 100,000 miles anyways just to keep it runnin like a champ.

Just remember, if the gaskets on these sensors break (TPS) than it WILL mess up, because even the smallest amount of air/moisture will mess it up. And MAP sensors, just tend to go bad after so long.

·
Registered
147 Posts
or you could do what I said to do and fix it. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts