Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone... I was just wondering if you guys could help me out with something... i am currently in the process of selling my Integra(it's in the for sale forum too) and I am going to be in the market for a 1997-up Honda Prelude... my question is if there is anything in particular that I should be looking for when I am going over these cars... any problems or anything like that that you think i should check out would be greatly appreciated... hopefully i will have one within the next month or so! thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Welcome aboard future Luder!

First thing that comes to mind is engine oil, definitely chk to see if the owner has been meticulous w/changing and refilling oil, as the H22A is notorious for eating oil.
Other than that chk the usual stuff for accidents, engine abuse, etc....

Good luck becoming a Luder!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The sides show any dents easy, so you wanna check the doors and rear quarters for parking dents. This is best done against a wall, as the reflections on the paint show any imperfections well.
The steering wheel will give you a good sign of real mileage. It starts to look shiny after about 50k.
Check to see if it is central? I find a lot of ludes have their wheels off centre!
Take the boot lining out and look at the seam sealer. If it looks fresh or is messy, it has been in a knock. Do the same with the front in the engine bay.
I find the door and hood gaps quite large, but even, so for check the same.
Ludes are quite lumpy when cold, so that shouldn't shock, but it should run really sweet once warm, you can hardly hear the valves! As above, check oil is fresh and well topped up.
Welcome aboard, I hope you enjoy being here.

------------------
UK LUDER!

HONDA-R UK Member
5th GEN 2.2 VTI 4WS Manual

[This message has been edited by Guiddy (edited April 27, 2001).]

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The comments on oil consumption are correct, although my baby doesn't seem to have that problem. That should be the #1 concern. Feel the bumper around the exhaust pipe and see if you get any soot on your fingers. A little bit is o.k., but a lot might be cause for concern.

The other annoying things to check for are rattles in the headliner and sunroof. Also run over some bumps and listen for "shock-knock" in the rear which is easily fixed, but very common. Search the archives for a more detailed description of "shock-knock".

A lot of people complain about the durability of the paint job, particularly chips and flaking in the front.

One thing I've learned in the past year: Harper Lee must have owned a Prelude, because those damn mockingbirds have me on their radar.

------------------
My new mechanic

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Welcome to the club. Try to get a 99 and up just for the 5 HP, but then again 97's are getting cheaper...

------------------
If you only knew the power of the Lude...
'98 Red Base Prelude
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - SCCA Solo2
AEM CAI, APEX-i VAFC, Neuspeed Ft Up Strut Bar, 28 mm Neuspeed RR Sway Bar, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, and SH RR Deck installed. Shock knock cure done. Installing Quaife ATB Differential.

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
CHeck for a crunch feeling when you change gears..you don't want to buy a car and find out the synchros are bad.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts