Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was giving my car hell on the weekend, did a hill climb and on the way down there was lots of heavy braking as I was flat out between turns. Towards the end I noticed that my car started pulling left under braking and locking way before the right. Driving normally, I don't notice anything now, but if I stand on them, it will always lock the left front, no matter the road conditions. Even going backwards!

Had a look at the brakes and the disc have turned to a blueish colour.

I think I may have killed them? :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
racinghonda said:
I was giving my car hell on the weekend, did a hill climb and on the way down there was lots of heavy braking as I was flat out between turns. Towards the end I noticed that my car started pulling left under braking and locking way before the right. Driving normally, I don't notice anything now, but if I stand on them, it will always lock the left front, no matter the road conditions. Even going backwards!

Had a look at the brakes and the disc have turned to a blueish colour.

I think I may have killed them? :(

Man i would probably have to agree with ya on this one....one is because you did it and you have seemed to have found the problem and know how to fix it.

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible for the heat to damage the seals on the caliper? I think maybe they're sticking?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
My car has done that forever, I thought it was normal? :confused: :laugh:

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
you cooked your brakes,you might of melted the pads to a point that when they are applied there is so much force that they lock em up....

·
6,152 Posts
agreed, pics and a brake job will help

·
6,152 Posts
done what forever??? lock up the brakes?

·
6,152 Posts
i dont see how it could lock up the brakes on an ABS equipped car.....wait...are we ABS equipped????

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My car isn't ABS, its SRF (Sensitive Right Foot) :)

Sorry.

I'm not worried about the pads melting as they are EBC Greenstuff Kevlar which have fade resistance up to 650dec C or 1202deg F.

I dropped the car off at the mechanic and he said that most likely I've cooked the brake fluid, seals or brake lines. He said that my rotors are good, its cast iron so going blue is ok.

I upgraded the pads to handle higher temperatures but the brake lines and seals are stock so that may have cause problems. I'm at work now so if he calls me and says I need new brake lines, I might ask him to install steel braided ones? I heard that they can improve the feel of the brakes?

Hopefully, my calipers won't need to be rebuilt.

·
6,152 Posts
id definitely go with Steel Braided Lines....

and u might need new seals on the calipers like khilgers said...

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whew, the mechanic rang up and said that there's nothing wrong with the calipers, seals or brake hoses. Just the brake fluid had boiled and apparently that's no good.

So I guess I'll be bleeding the brakes this weekend.

·
6,152 Posts
imo, i would also get some braided lines too.....my $.02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts